Movie Sleepers?

DizRotus

Dead Man is definitely on my watch list.

On another note, has no one else seen The Spanish Prisoner?

Perhaps I'm nuts. Maybe David Mamet, Steve Martin, Ben Gazarra, Ricky Jay, Ed O'Neill, Campbell Scott, et al did not add up to a worthwhile movie. I'm a big boy I can handle criticism, but I'd like to hear what someone else thought of this film.

Empire of the Sun - Big budget Spielberg flick that didn't do well at the box office but I like it allot .

Joy Luck Club - Unless your lady made you watch it you probably wouldn't have seen it on your own .

Near Dark - Interesting take on the vampire genre .

Fido - Interesting take on the zombie genre .

Moon - One man going insane in space or is he .

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the Spanish Prisoner, too. Recently saw it again on Netflix. Another good Mamet film is State and Main, about a movie crew taking over a small New England town. It has an all star indie cast. Rebecca Pidgeon (Mamet's wife) is in both films. Beautiful woman and a good actress.

I liked the Spanish Prisoner, too. Recently saw it again on Netflix. Another good Mamet film is State and Main, about a movie crew taking over a small New England town. It has an all star indie cast. Rebecca Pidgeon (Mamet's wife) is in both films. Beautiful woman and a good actress.

I'll check it out.

One reason The Spanish Prisoner didn't do well at the box office was its "PG" rating. Rumor has it Mamet intentionally wrote the screenplay so as to avoid an "R" rating, to demonstrate that gratuitous strong language, sex or violence are uncessary to a good story. His was an intentional response to deliberate efforts to get an "R" rating without improving the film.. An example of this is another Steve Martin film, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, which owes its "R" rating to a single F-bomb dropped at the rental car counter.

Plus 1 for almost anything done by Guy Ritchie. "******," "Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels," and "Rock n Rolla."

Most Edward Norton films are great. "Fight Club" of course, and "Rounders" is a great movie about Texas Hold 'em before poker was cool. There's a laundry list of other good films in which Norton demonstrates his charachter flexability. I believe "American History X" and "The Illusionist" were already mentioned.

"Salt" is one of the better action flix I'm seen recently.

"Grosse Point Blank" is great dark comedy/action/drama starring John Cussak and Dan Aykroid that is WAY under the radar. Probably my favorite sleeper.

I enjoyed "The Road" recently.

"The Others" takes on a whole new feel with a great surround sound. Foot steps and whispers in the background suddenly become a very real part of the movie.

Last three mentions go out to "Count of Monte Cristo," "Memento," and "Minority Report."

Most Edward Norton films are great.

Check out Leaves of Grass he plays twin brothers . Pretty good flick .

"Grosse Point Blank" is great dark comedy/action/drama starring John Cussak and Dan Aykroid that is WAY under the radar.

Love that movie !

"Grosse Point Blank" is great dark comedy/action/drama starring John Cussak and Dan Aykroid that is WAY under the radar.

The Big Hit is another comedy assassin movie that's pretty good. It stars Mark Wahlberg and Lou Diamond Phillips, and introduces China Chow.

Does "August Rush" qualify as a sleeper?

Yes it does. I really enjoyed that movie and was Blown Away by another "unique" performance by Robin Williams!

I don't often take notes, but there were a couple of quotes in that movie that I felt the need to.....

The Wizzard: Do you know what music is?

Evan: (silence)

The Wizzard: It is Gods little reminder that there's something else besides us in this universe. A Harmonic connection between all living beings everywhere. Even the stars!

Wizzard: What do you want to be in the world? The whole world....close yours eyes and think about that.

Evan: Found!

Good Call Lloyd!

Dennie

I don't know if this one has been mentioned or not....yet, but here goes...

Everything Is Illuminated

With Elijah Wood, which worked well IMHO!

51DW45H495L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com

Based on the novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything is Illuminated stars Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings)
as Jonathan Safran Foer, a young Jewish man who wants to learn how his
grandfather escaped from the Nazi incursions into Russia. From the U.S.,
he hires the hip-hop loving Alex (Eugene Hutz, leader of the gypsy-punk
band Gogol Bordello) and his surly grandfather (Boris Leskin, Men in Black)
as tour guides--only to discover, when he arrives in Odessa, that they
are perhaps less than dependable. Thus begins a curious, almost
metaphysical road trip that carries Foer into the past of his
grandfather's village and the present of his own compulsive habits.
Adapted and directed by Liev Schreiber (best known as an actor in The Daytrippers and The Manchurian Candidate), Everything is Illuminated
buckles a little under its literary weight--what seems deft and
resonant in the middle of several hundred pages can feel forced and ove!
rstated in a two-hour movie--but it's also full of delightful
dialogue, vivid characters, and oddball yet affecting scenes. Wood is
his usual charming and neurotic self, but Hutz steals the show with the
help of his wonderfully fractured English and his soulful eyes. --Bret Fetzer

Product Description

Based on the critically-acclaimed novel by Jonathan Safran Foer,
"Everything is Illuminated" tells the story of a young man's quest to
find the woman who saved his grandfather in a small Ukrainian town that
was wiped off the map by the Nazi invasion. What starts out as a journey
to piece together one family's story under absurd circumstances turns
into a meaningful journey with a powerful series of revelations -- the
importance of remembrance, the perilous nature of secrets, the legacy of
the Holocaust, and the meaning of friendship.

I should mention, I've never read the book, so I went into this with no real knowledge of the story.

I was touched! [Y] [Y]

Dennie

Does "August Rush" qualify as a sleeper?

Yes it does. I really enjoyed that movie and was Blown Away by another "unique" performance by Robin Williams!

I don't often take notes, but there were a couple of quotes in that movie that I felt the need to.....

The Wizzard: Do you know what music is?

Evan: (silence)

The Wizzard: It is Gods little reminder that there's something else besides us in this universe. A Harmonic connection between all living beings everywhere. Even the stars!

Wizzard: What do you want to be in the world? The whole world....close yours eyes and think about that.

Evan: Found!

Good Call Lloyd!

Dennie

Thanks, Dennie.

Another I just thought of - "21". Great movie about those gamblers from M.I.T. Kevin Spacey, Laurence Fishburne, Kate Bosworth, etc.

Dunno if it's considered a "sleeper", though . . .

• 1 month later...

"Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog"

A true cult "sleeper".

My wife and I were looking around at Netflix and saw this. For some unknown reason we said what the heck, and laughed so hard we had to get up and walk around avery few minutes.

Watch the Bad Horse's Saturday morning kids' matinee cowboy dressed minions when they pop out on the sides of the screen.....

Google and Wiki it for some reviews! [:D]

[H]