Movie Sleepers?

DizRotus

Sorry if it's been mentioned, (didn't read the whole thread[:$]) but I saw The Fighter this weekend. What a great movie. Christian Bale lost so much weight for his portrayal of a crack addict that he was barely recognizable. I enjoy Wahlberg movies as well and he was really good in this.

I don't know if this one has been mentioned or not....yet, but here goes...

Everything Is Illuminated

With Elijah Wood, which worked well IMHO!

51DW45H495L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com

Based on the novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything is Illuminated stars Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings) as Jonathan Safran Foer, a young Jewish man who wants to learn how his grandfather escaped from the Nazi incursions into Russia. From the U.S., he hires the hip-hop loving Alex (Eugene Hutz, leader of the gypsy-punk band Gogol Bordello) and his surly grandfather (Boris Leskin, Men in Black) as tour guides--only to discover, when he arrives in Odessa, that they are perhaps less than dependable. Thus begins a curious, almost metaphysical road trip that carries Foer into the past of his grandfather's village and the present of his own compulsive habits. Adapted and directed by Liev Schreiber (best known as an actor in The Daytrippers and The Manchurian Candidate), Everything is Illuminated buckles a little under its literary weight--what seems deft and resonant in the middle of several hundred pages can feel forced and ove! rstated in a two-hour movie--but it's also full of delightful dialogue, vivid characters, and oddball yet affecting scenes. Wood is his usual charming and neurotic self, but Hutz steals the show with the help of his wonderfully fractured English and his soulful eyes. --Bret Fetzer

Product Description

Based on the critically-acclaimed novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, "Everything is Illuminated" tells the story of a young man's quest to find the woman who saved his grandfather in a small Ukrainian town that was wiped off the map by the Nazi invasion. What starts out as a journey to piece together one family's story under absurd circumstances turns into a meaningful journey with a powerful series of revelations -- the importance of remembrance, the perilous nature of secrets, the legacy of the Holocaust, and the meaning of friendship.

I should mention, I've never read the book, so I went into this with no real knowledge of the story.

I was touched! YesYes

Dennie

Dennie, I enjoyed this one... Very different, with some very interesting film locations...

I don't know if this one has been mentioned or not....yet, but here goes...

Everything Is Illuminated

With Elijah Wood, which worked well IMHO!

51DW45H495L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com

Based on the novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything is Illuminated stars Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings) as Jonathan Safran Foer, a young Jewish man who wants to learn how his grandfather escaped from the Nazi incursions into Russia. From the U.S., he hires the hip-hop loving Alex (Eugene Hutz, leader of the gypsy-punk band Gogol Bordello) and his surly grandfather (Boris Leskin, Men in Black) as tour guides--only to discover, when he arrives in Odessa, that they are perhaps less than dependable. Thus begins a curious, almost metaphysical road trip that carries Foer into the past of his grandfather's village and the present of his own compulsive habits. Adapted and directed by Liev Schreiber (best known as an actor in The Daytrippers and The Manchurian Candidate), Everything is Illuminated buckles a little under its literary weight--what seems deft and resonant in the middle of several hundred pages can feel forced and ove! rstated in a two-hour movie--but it's also full of delightful dialogue, vivid characters, and oddball yet affecting scenes. Wood is his usual charming and neurotic self, but Hutz steals the show with the help of his wonderfully fractured English and his soulful eyes. --Bret Fetzer

Product Description

Based on the critically-acclaimed novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, "Everything is Illuminated" tells the story of a young man's quest to find the woman who saved his grandfather in a small Ukrainian town that was wiped off the map by the Nazi invasion. What starts out as a journey to piece together one family's story under absurd circumstances turns into a meaningful journey with a powerful series of revelations -- the importance of remembrance, the perilous nature of secrets, the legacy of the Holocaust, and the meaning of friendship.

I should mention, I've never read the book, so I went into this with no real knowledge of the story.

I was touched! YesYes

Dennie

Dennie, I enjoyed this one... Very different, with some very interesting film locations...

That's great to hear Boxx. It is different and I didn't have a clue what it was even about, when my local Blockbuster Manager "Lori", recommended it to me. I guess she noticed I was renting/buying Holocaust movies and told me I HAD TO SEE IT. I went back in the next day to thank her and asked her to save a used copy for me to buy, when they went on sale. It is now part of my library! [Y]

Dennie

The Sleeping Dictionary, with Jessica Alba, Emily Mortimer, and Bob Hoskins is a classic love story in an exotic location (Sarawak) in the 1930s. It's a top-quality film, so it's odd that it went straight to DVD in many countries.

I thought it was great. Likely a good movie to watch with a close friend.

I saw The Fighter this weekend. What a great movie. Christian Bale lost so much weight for his portrayal of a crack addict that he was barely recognizable.

I really enjoyed The Fighter too. Well acted by the entire cast.

Bale went even further with 'method acting' in The Machinist (2004). He plays a guy who hasn't slept and barely eaten in a year. Slightly predictable as it unfolds, but a decent movie. And he sure looks awful.

Are you ready..............

post-34666-13819660472314_thumb.jpg

Bale went even further with 'method acting' in The Machinist (2004). He plays a guy who hasn't slept and barely eaten in a year.

Bale really does take his roles seriously. I can hardly imagine having that level of commitment to your job/craft. I thought The Machinist was pretty good.

Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson in "The Island"

The bar scene with Steve Buscemi (always a class act..) is hilarious!!

Very "dark" film, but a good plot and good acting make it very "watchable". "Logan's Run", etc comes to mind.

Hint, although a series of tortuous events unfold, it has a happy ending. Clone boy gets clone girl, etc.

[H]

• 2 weeks later...