OHM help!

Jonathan1982

I'm not sure that your response is correct Boa. I've seen a few of mass market receivers lately (Technics comes to mind) that advertise that their product, for example, has an output of 100 watts at 6 ohms. This, to me, is a somewhat deceptive practice, since home stereo system manufacturers have been publishing amplifier power output ratings based on an 8 ohm load since the 1970's. Deceptive, since most consumers will simply see the "100 watts", and ignore the load number. 100 watts at 6 ohms likely means that the receivers amp section has a lower output at 8 ohms.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

whell, good point. i was looking at it as somewhat efficient speakers (like klipsch or jbl) are being used & if an amp gives a rating in 6 ohms then it must have enough power to drive 8 ohm speaks. most don't ever mention their 6 or 4 ohm ratings because they don't have the power to do it well anyway.

so i was saying the amp can drive 8 ohm speakers w/ no problem. but i should have added i guess that the power in watts at 8 ohms will be lower than the 6 ohm figure. so it may not drive them with the power you might be expecting.

actually that's the way w/ reliable specs to find how much power as in current an amp has. compare the 8ohm rating to the 6&/or 4 ohm rating. if the amp does 100W

at 8 ohms & 200W at 4ohms, then the amp has some serious current producing power.

iow, it's the relation of the figures, not the stand alone figure at one given impedance. ohm's law is tricky. the lower number for impedance means more load

or resistance & that takes more current. if the W number at low impedance doesn't jump up well, then the amp may not have the current to drive those low impedance speakers. but at 8 ohms (less load) the amp should be better off in driving those w/ what it has to offer.

if you see an amp does 100W at 4ohms it looks like some

real power. but if it does 80W at 8ohms that's not a higher current amp.

so jon find the 8ohm rating for that receiver to know what you're really getting w/ those speaks. funny thing is the lower the 8ohm rating is from 100W the better for current. my guess is though it's probably around 70-80W @ 8 ohms.

but you shouldn't have any problem driving those jbl w/ that. best way is to hook 'em up & find out. you just don't want to be having to crank the receiver beyond it's capability to get to those volume levels you want.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-25-2002 at 01:48 AM

now that whell mentions it that pano you're looking at even goes a step further & the rating at 100W @ 6 ohms is only at 1khz (not the preferred 20-20khz). there ought to be a law. cwm23.gif

as it is just obvious (but legal) deception using 6 ohms. says it'll do 100W from 40-20khz but then they sneak in that's only in stereo.

even for that low price you may be able to find something better. should still be ok driving those jbl though. but any receiver in that range you run a greater danger of damaging speaks if you need to crank it.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Instead of the Panasonic (assuming its a 2 channel receiver), I'm wondering if this would be a good opportunity to look at some quality used gear, to save money. Some old Marantz, Pioneer or well built Yamaha gear might fit the bill.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

just for an example, here's a latest marantz model that

goes online for around $300. & it gives it's 70W power

into 8 ohms. probably about where the pano puts out at

8 ohms.

http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/index.html

oh & if it doesn't go to the specific model, it's the sr-4200.. again, just an example.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-25-2002 at 03:54 PM

As you might guess, I'm partial to Marantz gear, love the way it sounds with my Klipsch. Used/demo Marantz gear of the '01 vintage might fit the bill, too. I've become a fan of letting other folks pay retail for new gear, and then buying it a little later after the original buyer gets bitten by the upgrade bug. Some "audiophiles" change out their gear more often than I change my underwear......

....or is that too much information?!?!cwm17.gif

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD