609 or 709

endover

Bouncing back and forth on this one and looking for recommendations. Harman Kardon AVR 7200 from 2004 has to go since there's no HDMI. Wife gave me approval for $500 budget which means there's a little leeway (man I really told her!). I've been eying the Onkyo TX-NR708's for a while but now the 609's and 709's are out which have a cleaner way to receive wireless signal. Most likely I'll never need to use the pre-outs which the 709 has and the 609 doesn't. The only thing I find significantly different between the 609 and 709 is the Audessy type (609 is less sophisticated but apparently still great) and 10 watts per channel which in the end, won't make much of a difference with my Chorus II's. I do about 80% home theatre and 20% music. 609's running around $490 and 709's running around $780 but prices are slowly coming down.

Thoughts recommendations???

My biggest struggle is that since I've been in the Klipsch world, I've never paid less than a grand for a receiver but now budget is talking and I'm not used to buying a receiver with so few plug options in the back. It makes me quite nervous because I want good quality sound and I really like the new network options on the TX-NRX09 series. It will be a loooong time before I could ever spend $$$ to add a separate amp so I can't justify going for pre-outs. Do I wait quite a few months if not a year for the 709 to come down another $150 (I could probably justify $600) or just get the 609 for the $490. Will I be disappointed? Thanks for the review links. I'm hoping there will be more as time marches on.

My biggest struggle is that since I've been in the Klipsch world, I've never paid less than a grand for a receiver but now budget is talking and I'm not used to buying a receiver with so few plug options in the back. It makes me quite nervous because I want good quality sound and I really like the new network options on the TX-NRX09 series. It will be a loooong time before I could ever spend $$$ to add a separate amp so I can't justify going for pre-outs. Do I wait quite a few months if not a year for the 709 to come down another $150 (I could probably justify $600) or just get the 609 for the $490. Will I be disappointed? Thanks for the review links. I'm hoping there will be more as time marches on.

If the avr is going to be everything (power and processing) don’t

go cheap. You will get what you pay for, and if you buy cheap you will get

cheap. Imho find the model at your price

point then find the one above it on sale or used and get that one.

Have u given any thought to going with a refurbished older model from accesories4less? If your only down to the 09 's then I'll shut up. But if you are open then you can get an avr with more options for less$ if u go back a model or two. You can get a nr708 which gives you the networking your looking for at the same price point. Also at the same price they have the nr807 which is 2 models back. Onkyo's website allows u to compare all their models to one another including older ones. That way you know what the exact differences are. I would compare the 609/708/807 since they are all in your budget and see how u feel about the differences.

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased the Onkyo TX NR 609 two weeks ago for $399.98 including the Onkyo uwf-1 dongle (wireless) and sales tax.. If you don't need the pre outs, take the Mrs out to dinner and get the 609. I just hope Onkyo has a firm update in the near future for airplay.

Man Cave Office 17ft by 14ft by 8.5ft carpeted

VISIO 47in HD TV Flat Screen on the Wall

Directv HD-24 DVR with Multi Room Viewing

Samsung BD C6500 Blu Ray HD DVD Player

Onkyo TX NR609 7.2 used as a 5.2 plus Bi Amping the F3s

Klipsch Synergy C2

Klipsch Synergy F3 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy B3 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy 12in Sub (Pair)

Thearter Room 22ft by 15ft by 9ft carpeted

Samsung 67in HD TV DLP

Directv HD-24 DVR with Multi Room Viewing

Samsung BD C6500 HD DVD Player

Onkyo TX NR609 7.2

Magnaplanar I (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy S2 (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy SL (Pair)

Klipsch Synergy 12in Sub

Klipsch Icon VC-25

FOR SALE FOR SALE FOR SALE FOR SALE FOR SALE

ONKYO TX NR808 $499.00 display model with no accessories whatsoever including NO REMOTE. Full manufacturer's 2 yr Warranty. Comes with the original receipt. Purchased 6/22/11. The authorized dealer included their 3 yr warranty for what it's worth. Scratches along the sides but works G R E A T. Decided to keep the TX NR609 due to the 4K upgrade chip. You must pay actual shipping charges. Pay Pal only and no international sales, sorry.

+1 on Jason's comments.

Look what you can get right now on A4L:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR708KIT/Onkyo-TX-NR708-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

The 708 for $499, plus a bunch of free stuff (the free shipping is worth around 30 bucks by itself). Plus, NO TAX [;)]

This is one of the better deals I have seen in a while on the 708...

The 7200 that you are switching from had GOBS of power compared to most receivers. Don't be surprised if some of the newer cheaper receivers don't pack the same "punch" as your old HK. Of course you could overcome that with pre-outs and seperate amps........................oops, nevermind.

Well...I did the deed.... My 709 is supposed to show up tomorrow evening on the UPS truck.

I think you made a very sound choice. My Onkyo TX-SR705 has given me 4 years of trouble free operation and works wonderfully as a pre/pro as well as just a receiver.

Bill