AW-650 Need a Receiver

inder19

I just received these speakers and now I need a receiver to power them. I don't need anything fancy, perhaps a A/B option which most seem to have. I have looked at some used/new and am leaning towards the used ones. The A/B option would be used to power a pair of bookshelfs, RB-81II.

So far I have seen

Yamaha RX496 -$110
HK 3470 -$120

[edit] another option may be a new Sony STR-DH100 on sale right now for $149Can

clear1x1.gif

Does anyone have any other opinions? Also if you have these speakers what power rating do you think would work best. Price is key as this is going to be a "temporary" receiver.

I did see some Marantz vintage ones, SR4000 was one of them I believe. I don't really need a remote as I plan to use an airport express to wirelessly stream music to the receiver and then use an iPhone to control volume and change songs. I tested the AW-650 indoors and was very impressed. They are obviously not as good as the RB-81s but filled the room and sounded clear and accurate. The bass was about what I expected and should be excellent for my purposes but I think paired with a sub these would be amazing outdoor party speakers. They don't need a sub but...lol

Any reason you recommend a vintage model over some of the ones in the 5-10yr range?

Found a Yamaha CR-840 in EXCELLENT condition minus needing 2 bulbs which will be an easy DIY along with some cleaning on the inside. Only small issue is the balance knob which seems like it needs a cleaning. Tried to give it a test on my RF-7s and all I can say is that I am very impressed. At only 60wpc it easily drove my RF-7s. The AW-650s sound great as well. I am only able to turn up the volume to about 2-3/10 and that is almost too loud. Can't wait to try it during a larger get together. I don't know if a AW-800-SW would be neccessary, I am pretty pleased with the bass. For larger parties I may pick up a yorksville PA with 12" but shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for the tip on the vintage, the look and sound are both great (and its older than I am).

Glad you are happy, I myself love the old vintage amps and receivers for two channel sound. Never had a Yamaha though mostly old Kenwood and Marantz.

Now when is the Party? Go Bruins [6] Sorry but for the fact that I am a Blackhawk fan I just can not bring myself to root for your Canucks.