for MWM fanatics

ClaudeJ1

OK, so I'm NOT crazy, but putting K-33's in some old FH-1 cabinets gives me smoother bass in MY ROOM than corner horns. I just needed to cut out that nasty 150 Hz. peak that the FH1 (LaScala bass bins have it too), via my active Xover rolloff control on the little sub amps I'm using from parts express. Very touchy tweaking of the bass, but I finally have it, along with my coffee table sub. Also, it dropped my "stack" about 14" so now it's only 5'10" tall instead of 7 plus feet!! New Avatar to follow.

For now, no MWM or Khorn bass for me, these FH1's go to 50 Hz. and my coffee table subs go from 60 Hz. down to about 15 Hz. (-6db). See the plot I made with 1/3 octave smoothing AT MY SWEET SPOT!! This is after Audyssey EQ, of course, with about 3 db more gain on the coffee table sub than recommended by Audyssey. This is still 3.5 db LESS than what I had with corner horns. This defies previous logic, but the measurments don't lie. It sounds the best ever. I'm hoping to get my LAB horns done this winter, which should give me an additional octave lower than the FH-1 bins AND an even lower profile. Synergy horns will be next after the LAB 3.0 horns....gotta keep saving space without spending too much money. Check out the plot below, as measured 12.5 feet from the stack, both channels driven. System response right to my ears is 15 Hz to 12 Khz (includes tweeter power response room rolloff, which all systems should have in rooms)+/- 4 db in a real room with only a drop ceiling and cheap paneling.......WOW.

post-22904-13819666230886_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the FH-1 cabinets but I must admit I'm still amazed at the MWM set up the next question is what next I think the Ashly Protea and maybe build a nice matching red oak mid section to replace the MB-2?

If you have the space, nothing beats the sound of MWM bass. You can just add true SUB bass below 40 Hz...................a DTS-10 comes to mind as a giant coffee table with legs. LOL.

a DTS-10 comes to mind as a giant coffee table with legs

I'd wrap mine in some fishnet stockings for added sex appeal

You are too funny man. The only reason for the legs, unlike my DIY version of the DTS-20, would be not to choke the port with the floor. Just raising it up about 3 inches would suffice. Heck a rectangular 2x4 frame, set in abourt 15" all around would floor load the horn mouth a allow your feet to go under the thing. I would probably put the equivalent of a sleeping bag's worth of absorption over it to absorb the reflections that would occur from a hard surface. But that DTS-10 would still be a huge 24 cu foot coffee table...but totally worth it sonically, since it goes lower and louder than my home brew version, which is pretty darn great. Look at the system curve of my sweet spot. My cheapScalas only go to 50 H. My coffed table is 6 db down at 15 hertz.

• 4 months later...

Well after having these going for some time and getting the Ashly Protea 3.6SP I'm amazed at the sound the Ashly processor is the ticket with these I took mark101's advice and got one . I'm running Crown xti's 2 1000's and 1 2000 for the LF my garage has turned into a play room .

It should probably be of some concern to you that you're starting to remind me of me.

But does he have a worksihop o' Klpsch or just a house full of Klipsch. I would call 'im rookie if only a house full but our biggest speakers are Heresies.... so that would put me in 8th grade. Maybe. But at least I own no (rhymes with hose) thinking I have the best sounding stereo on the block. I may but I'm not sure.

Now that I have even a cheap RatShack SPL meter our neigbor's boyfriend's teenagers were crazy loud. All weekend. Nasty rap. Loud even Monday morning between our house and the neighbor's Monday morning. Monday morning. It did quite down a bit and music I like better when our neighbor was home but she worked most of the weekend. I wondered what the heck they had in there. Now with RS SPL had the Heresies about 100 db average which is too loud for our small room. about 70 db between other neighbor's house... I don't think as loud but maybe so (rhymes with hose) could play that loud, Maybe even 80 db... though has to be about their max and most likely really close to self destruction. And this smaller (rhymes with hose) not the larger when she was married when they had the one with 2 3" tweeters. While those sounded good, our Advent Marbls sounded better. To be fair the Marbls at times were drivern with a Carver AV705X 5x125 and 2x180 into 8 ohms and can deliver more at high current into low impedence... enough to smoke the bass/mid before the treble..... Didn't phase the Carver. Thank God. I still have those. Time to disect and see what a burnt voice coil looks like. I know more from later experience what they smell like... [:$]

It should probably be of some concern to you that you're starting to remind me of me.

But does he have a worksihop o' Klpsch or just a house full of Klipsch. I would call 'im rookie if only a house full but our biggest speakers are Heresies.... so that would put me in 8th grade. Maybe. But at least I own no (rhymes with hose) thinking I have the best sounding stereo on the block. I may but I'm not sure.

Now that I have even a cheap RatShack SPL meter our neigbor's boyfriend's teenagers were crazy loud. All weekend. Nasty rap. Loud even Monday morning between our house and the neighbor's Monday morning. Monday morning. It did quite down a bit and music I like better when our neighbor was home but she worked most of the weekend. I wondered what the heck they had in there. Now with RS SPL had the Heresies about 100 db average which is too loud for our small room. about 70 db between other neighbor's house... I don't think as loud but maybe so (rhymes with hose) could play that loud, Maybe even 80 db... though has to be about their max and most likely really close to self destruction. And this smaller (rhymes with hose) not the larger when she was married when they had the one with 2 3" tweeters. While those sounded good, our Advent Marbls sounded better. To be fair the Marbls at times were drivern with a Carver AV705X 5x125 and 2x180 into 8 ohms and can deliver more at high current into low impedence... enough to smoke the bass/mid before the treble..... Didn't phase the Carver. Thank God. I still have those. Time to disect and see what a burnt voice coil looks like. I know more from later experience what they smell like... [:$]

Well after having these going for some time and getting the Ashly Protea 3.6SP I'm amazed at the sound the Ashly processor is the ticket with these I took mark101's advice and got one . I'm running Crown xti's 2 1000's and 1 2000 for the LF my garage has turned into a play room .

and that's the way it should be.