Hello to all, need a little help on picking a speaker

I just want to say hello and was hoping to get direction. I have been into the home audio game since I was about 10, buying my first setup (acoustic profile bookshelves and powered sub) with Christmas money. Hooked all my life I guess, I am now 29. I have owned alot of gear, I trade out alot! Commercially I have owned a bit from DCM (timeframe and timewindows only-tf 600's being my favorite), a few offerings from Polk (SDA 1b's and c's-I currently have LS90's), AR3a's, Pinnacle arctic 1 and 2's, Kef Calinda's, JBL L65 Jubals, ADS 1290's and of course Klipsch! (a few mini systems and the RF3's and KLF10's), and a few others along with many subs. For awhile I have been in the DIY game. I have built line arrays, open baffle, dipole, TL, bass reflex, and many a DIY Sub. I am currently working on Jim Holtz "Statements". There are many more that I am not remembering. While all of the speakers I have owned sounded good, the most memorable were the RF3's. They just had a captivating sound, maybe it was the perfect room and perfect position, just a fluke. I really do regret selling them. The KLFs were good too. I had both sets paired with the the sub12 and later on the Jamo sub650.

Well my wife and I just moved into a small house and we will be here for a few years. The DIY speakers I am doing are far too big (5 feet tall, very deep plus have to be placed 18" from the wall) so I'm selling them off. Since my wife has been so understanding the 7 years we have been together I decided to get something commercial that'll "look nice and be a matching set". Which is good because I'm looking for something better than the Polk LS90's. I am doing 2.1 but would like to venture into a 5.1 at some point for the first time. For sub duties right now I have an RW-12d. Wouldn't mind stepping to the rsw15 at some point. For amplification I have a Harman Kardon AVR 7300. This thing is no slouch, weight of 55 pounds and benched at somewhere in the mid 300's before clipping by sound & vision mag (@ 4 ohms stereo).

So I would like some suggestions. I have a budget of about $1000 give or take. I love buying used obviously. My room is about 12 x 17 feet with 8 foot ceilings. Room opens into kitchen/dining at one end. I was really looking at the RF7, but there is so many new speakers that I have not heard by Klipsch. Even with sub duties taken care of would the RF7 be better than the RF3? Can they produce the mids of the smaller drivers? An all copper setup would be cool. I'm going for about 80% theater and 20% music

Please ask me any questions needed and thanks for your help!

I'm pretty excited about going back to klipsch.

Dan

Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

I see you do have plenty of experience with Klipsch speakers so no need to sell the Klipsch name to you.

The RF-7's are great speakers no doubt. Are you open to other Reference towers like the RF-63 or RF-83? Either are fantastic for HT or music. How about a vintage Klipsch 3-way speaker like the Quartet, Forte, Chorus?

Give us your location so we can help you scan your local c-list and check out other avenues.

Bill

Thank you, wow when I typed out my post it was like four paragraphs, weird. I am open to the 63 and 83's, but I'd do want the best possible speaker for the money. So if the sound better than the rf 7 then ok! I know "sound better" is subjective but what the general consensus is would be ok. As far as the more vintage models go, I think my wife would prefer a taller and thinner cabinet as would I. Maybe someday when I can have a dedicated listening room. There is a pair of RF5's on CL, but I think that I would be falling short of the better stuff, and I have a condition where I like having the good stuff!

Thanks again,

Dan

Well if you want to please the wife and if she is like mine then she would like the new G-28 http://www.klipsch.com/gallery-g-28-flat-panel-speaker

I just got a pair of XF-48s,which are being replaced by the G-28, my wife loves them. I will take my Chorus IIs and Forte's over the XF-48s but they

sound much better then I thought they would. OH ya by the way these post never come out the way you type them in; as to end of line and paragraphs.

Thank you, wow when I typed out my post it was like four paragraphs, weird.

Are you using a Mac? If so, you will probably need ot put in the html for a new pargraph when you need it.

That would be a less than, p, greater than character. I would typ it but then it would just put it in. So it's a < with a p, followed by a >

That will work.

And welcome to the forums...

Bruce

Where are you located? We have folks on this board from all over the world. It really helps if you get a chance to listen to different systems, and most folks on this forum are accomodating.

Personally, I prefer the Heritage line and have owned most of them over the years (Heresy, Cornwall II, La Scala's and Khorns), and loved them all. I have also owned Chorus and Chorus II speakers, along with some Epic CF-2's. If you're looking for WAF I would consider the Heresy, Quartet, Forte and Chorus speakers. All of these are 3 way speakers, don't have a very large footprint, but deliver a very large soundstage and will provide you with years of happiness. [:)]

Let us know what you end up doing.

Mike

As you have enjoyed the KLF-10s, yopu could always get the 20s or 30s as those are 3-way and sound quite good. The other recommendations so far are also good. I like the chorus line of speakers and in oiled oak, my gf seems to think they are a little big but she can deal/work with them.

Well as everyone has opinions I will throw my hat in. I have had most of the Klipsch mentioned. The RF5's are pretty awesome and better on the WAF. However like you said the RF7's would be an ugrade, better. For HT, I think you would really like the RF series, that is how my old HT system was set up, RF3's front. I have owned Forte II (bought new in 96), and Heresys, and I like the RF line up way better. On another note you like the Polk LS90's better than the Jubals, and the ADS1290's? I have a pair of SDA 1's right now, not overly impressed. How did you like the ADS?

Thank you all for the suggestions. After much thought I think I'll go with the rf 7s, hopefully I can find some somewhat local. I do not like the Polk ls90s more than the ads 1290s or Jubals. I'm just always looking for something new to try so just sold them to fund something else. Loved the Jubals, lots of impact. I have always been a fan of ADS, their speakers have a refined sound, only thing I didn't like were the stick dome tweeters and mids that collected every spec in the atmosphere, nor the metal grills even though I don't use grills. Which SDA 1s do you have? I did the crossover upgrade in mine and it seemed to make them better. An acquired taste though. My wife has asked me to choose something and stick with it for awhile and I think klipsch would be a good choice!

Dan

Mine are the SDA1's, definitely an aquired taste. Its a shame you do not live in Florida. There is a pair of RF7's for $500 on Craigslist. SO would you rate the ADS above the others? I really want to hear the the ADS L910's or the L810's. Would love to actively bi-ampthe L910's.

Ok, so just the SDA1s. The 1C was the best of that group, I also had the 2b's, not as good. For an all around speaker, I would say I liked the ADS the most other than klipsch. I even liked the rf 3 for music playback. There is no comparison for HT. With the DCM Tf600 coming in a close behind the ADS. I've heard the 1230 is better than the 1290, I would've like to hear those. The Jubals were my "vintage system" running on a Kenwood model 600 integrated amp. Wow, what a combo. My wife would've hated it, no remote and short stout speakers lol.

Dan