A "PSA" for those who have a GPS in their car.

jhoak

Last night the neighbors diagonal across the street from me took a "family night out". They went to dinner then to a movie. When they came out of the movie around 11:30 or so and got to their car they immediately noticed that it had been broken in to and one of the items missing was their Garmin GPS. They of course called the police and reported the theft. Let's just say that they were less than impressed with the response from the county sheriff’s office. [:(] but that's another story.

The real surprise came when they got home. Their house had been completely ransacked. Missing was several computers, a couple of LCD TVs, their entire surround system (it was a Bose so... no great loss), and a bunch of jewelry. Sitting in the middle of their kitchen table was their GPS. It was like the thieves wanted them to know how badly they screwed up.

Seems that whoever broke in to their car and stole the GPS called up their "home" setting and then drove straight to their house and rather than stealing a $100 GPS they took many thousands of $$ worth of belongings.

The only reason I know about this is that the detective investigating the break in interviewed me to ask if I had seen or heard anything that might be of help. In the course of the conversation she said that this kind of thing was VERY common. People automatically enter their home address in to their new GPS without thinking of the ramifications. I laughed at one of her comments. “Ya know... If you’re too stupid to find your way home without a GPS perhaps you’re too stupid to have a driver’s license”. Really…

The suggestion made by the detective was to always set your GPS “home” location to the local sheriff’s department office or sub-station, or local police department, or local fire station but not NOT our home address.

My work here is done… For now... [;)]

Jeff,

Sorry about your "stupid" neighbors bad luck. My "stupid" self just reset my home address on my GPS to my local police department.

Thanks for posting about this very common mistake. I usually do remove my GPS from my window and place in glove box or trunk when we are stopped somewhere. It only goes in the car when we need it.

Bill

Or put in someone's address that you don't like, leave the car unlocked, and see what happens.... Devil

Cool

OK... It takes a profoundly "twisted" mind to come up with this... Wink

I may be even more twisted. I was thinking of putting a neighbor's address in there. They call him "Big'un". He is a bit.....eccentric. He has a driveway about a half mile long that gives him plenty of time to see who is coming. A few months ago, a UPS driver took a wrong turn and drove up his driveway. The UPS guy got to look down the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun while explaining what he was doing there. Big'un eventually let him go, but would not let him turn his truck around which meant he had to back the truck out of the half mile long driveway.

GEE... That could be "interesting" [:D]

So exactly what kind of business is your neighbor in? Around here that kind of reaction usually means the land owner is either a "farmer" growing a type produce that you and I will NEVER see in the local grocery store or operating an unregistered (and untaxed) distillery. Both types of business are VERY common here.