What's a good replacement for K41 driver in MSSM cabinet?

depends on what type of K41 it is. If it's a K41C that's a Cetec/Gauss driver and it has dual spiders- impossible to recone. If it's the later K41 by Eminence (looks like other Eminence drivers like K33), a local shop got the specs and built one up for me. Spectrum Sound in Indianapolis did the work.

Michael

Michael,

Do you know what the frequency range is set in the crossover for the MSSM? Seems like the 2,000 hz limit of the EVM 10DLX might be a little low, I thought a mid should extend to about 5,000 to 7,000 hz? Have you ever tried a 10DLX in an MSSM? Also, how can I tell if the spider is a dual?

Thanks for all the help. I put one stack together and can't wait to hear both sides working!

Casey

You're kidding, right?

It's crossed to a 260hz horn with four phenolic compression drivers that don't even go to 7Khz. The MSSM is ±5dB 250hz~1.1Khz

gauss4883kit.jpg

"Also, how can I tell if the spider is a dual?" Gauss dual spider with tinsel leads between the spiders.

it carries from 100 to 300 hz with the Klipsch passive crossover. the MSSM was developed a bit later than the rest of the MCM1900 stack, seems that going from 15" folded horns to the K55 manifold system was just too much of a reach so this fat octave was carved out. I would not operate a MCM without this critical piece although it was sold both with and without it.

M

Re dual spiders - this will only be found on mid drivers labeled K41C as noted above. The magnet will not look like other Eminence drivers, it will be molded in kind of a radial 'heat sink' look. From the side view, you will see the spider (the accordion yellow piece near the voice coil) that has a twin with a phenolic or plastic spacer about 1/2" away from it.

M

DJK,

Not kidding, just not experienced, yet. I read a specification on Sound Speaker Repair.com that said the 10L frequency response was 90-6000 Hz. So when I looked at the 10DLX and it only extended to 2000 Hz it just seemed like it might not be a good fit. Thanks for the info it contibutes to the "education".

Michael,

Thanks again. I would have bet the MSSM was reproducing much higher frequencies than 300 Hz just from listening to it by itself. Knowing the crossover range is helpful and confirms the 10DLX should be a reasonable replacement. Hard to believe the MSSM wasn't part of the original setup, there must have been a big hole in the mids without it!

the MCM passive network is relatively shallow slopes so the MSSM speaker is reproducing outside that range, but at a lesser volume.

Even tweeters do this, if a Klipschorn with AA network is playing at 100db, that K77 is playing some output at 100 hz. Very low but still some frequencies are reaching it.

Hi Everybody;

I never used the passive network for the MCMs. I started with an Audio Arts ( Wheatstone ) 2100 I believe, and I originally purchased the 3 way MCMs.

They also had the Gauss HF 4000 in the mid. Klipsch sent me a spec sheet on the proposed sub squaker and I orderd it on the spot. You may think there

was a hole in the mid but it was pretty good. Also I had never had a system punch me in the chest like the MCMs and also send 100 db a 1/4 mile. I had to have them. Oh I still have them. The MCMs also allowed me to take on sound gigs that were really to big for me at the time.

I also purchased the MMTMs when they came out because the MTMs sound changed over time. I had many conversations with Klipsch about this

problem. AND THEN I HEARD ABOUT THE KP 600s. Never a doubt in my mind, and still to this day there is no better sounding system for what they are

as far as I am concerned!!!

I will be doing sound this weekend for some high school graduations, hey a gig is a gig, believe it or not with KP 450s, KSM IIs and yes KP 600s. I will send some photos.

Call my home phone this weekend 978-343-9343 leave a message with your number and I will call you back on Sunday and we will talk about the K 41

speaker recone. Stay safe Joey B KP 600

Joey,

I will be out of town this weekend, not in cell range so I won't be able to discuss the driver with you. It's easier to reach me at work during the week if that's something that is convenient for you.

I read an MCM 1900 spec sheet Michael had posted in old post, it said the frequency response for the MSSM is +or- 5dB 250Hz to 1,100Hz and the MSM is +or- 3 dB 400Hz to 6,000Hz. I have been playing around with the single stack and listening to individual boxes isolated from the others. Trying different connections with the same source material to the MSSM and the MSM trying both output connections from the crossover ( mid and sub mid and full signal ). Big difference in the two either way they are connected. The MSM can't come close to the lower frequencies of the MSSM and vice versa. I don't have near the history or experience you guys have but the MSSM is essential in my view.

Wish I could drop by and listen to your weekend setup. The KP600's sound like something I should hear!

Thanks again to all who have contributed to my questions, it has been helpful. Just in case anyone runs into a broken horn as in my other post. I took the broken horn from the MMTM to a local fiberglass shop. They were able to add a thin layer of glass to the outside of the horn and repair it. So one problem down and only a critter ruined K41 to go.

Good luck on the Graduation concerts, look forward to the pictures.

Casey

• 4 years later...