Continuation of $42,000 HT (have quote)

justin_tx_16

Ok guys. I finally got the quote from our Designer for the massive home theater i am building. designs from audio demensions. here is what they recommended...

Pioneer Elite VXS-49TX - - - Surrond Sound Receiver

Pioneer Elite DV-47A - - - DVD/A SACD Player

Misubishi HSU776 - - - SVHS VCR

Mirage OM-5 - - - Front Loud Speaker (2)

Mirage OM-C2 - - - Center Speaker (2 for a 7.1)

Mirage OM-R2 - - - Surround Speaker

Velodyne HGS15 - - - Subwoofer

Sharp XV-Z9000U - - - DLP Projector

Faroudja NR Series - - - Video Scaler

Da-Lite Cinema Vision - - - 16x9 Fixed Screen (133")

Chad Programmable Remote - - - Remote control

Ok. I want to go RF series, so I would get 5 RF-7's and two RS-7's, I would like the SVS dual subs, and would like your opinions. what to keep, what to replace, and what to replace it with.

thanks

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah, the total was $35,000 for all of that, and that leasves ~$7000 for seating and some extra's.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Most choices are good,the video side is well covered,the new Pioneer 49TX reciever is fantastic,I have one on test!What a machine,its DSP beats the Denon 5800,and even the newer top of the line Denon.

Amp section in the big Pioneer is good(not up to my standards but still good)Remember I only use power amps and the whimpiest is mt ATI 1505 followed by the 2505.

The single Velo HGS15 is too little,at least a HGS18 or two.I would get two SVS Ultras with the Crown amp.

A serious HT needs a serious foundation,and two SVS Ultras would fit the bill.

And Mirage omnipolar speakers are quite good,they would need much more juice and here is where the poor 49TX amp section would begin to starin at high SPL.If you keep Mirage speakers be sure to add a nice ATI 1505 or the brutha 2505.

The Pioneed 49TX would be plenty if you decide to go with the RF-7's and RC-7.Simply put RF-7's have some serious punch,at 102dB with one watt input there are very few speakers that give you more output per watt(often much larger).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

"and that leasves ~$7000 for seating and some extra's."

WHAT!!!

No extras needed,sit on a stool and spend the $7000 more SVS Ultras and get the ATI 2505 Smile.gif

Your back will complain but your ears will thank you.

cwm27.gif

I always spend on audio gear first and sit on cheapo chairs.When by backbone hurst I buy the sofas N chairs.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

thanks ears. so you think that is a good deal or are they over charging and i would be better haggling some other dealer?

also, what about the RF series, better than the Mirages? they both sound so nice!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

so... no more ideas? everything here pass you guy's quality standards Smile.gif how is the price? that is the price installed BTW. Anything I should look around some more for? thanks.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

justin_tx_16,

Have you purchased the projector yet? If not, you may want to wait and consider the upcoming DWIN TransVision2 DLP projector. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

Projector: (Still deciding)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

thanks for the suggestion. nope, nothing listed about has been purchased. why this one? what are all the juicy details? Smile.gif hehe

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Well, click here for a start: www.dwin.com

When on the website, click on "NEW PRODUCTS" to get some info on the new DWIN TransVision2.

Secondly, the DWIN TransVision2 will have greater contrast and brightness than the Sharp XV-Z9000.

Goto www.avsforum.com and go a search on "TransVision2" in the "Digital Projectors" area and you will get numerous threads regarding it. Smile.gif

BTW, here is one of the major threads regarding the DWIN TransVision2: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123847&highlight=transvision2

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

Justin anyone that would have recommended less than a Velo HGS-18 for openers seriously doesn't understand how HT is mixed and where it is going! It makes me sad to see so much money spent with someone of so little understanding.

TheEar(s) has the right idea... dual SVS Ultras... especially since they have the new SS drivers in them... and the Crown Amp is a serious piece of pro gear... the combo puts you at reference level bass on day one... and your family's guests will never cease to be impressed... on music or HT. Of course, since SVS only sells over the Internet... a commission oriented salesman might be hard pressed to agree.

Personally, I like the picture from a 6-head Toshiba SVHS+ VCR over the Mitsubishi that I replaced. There is now such a gap between DVD ant VCR's that every bit of extra quality really counts here.

The Mirage line up is a fair alternative, perhaps, but I prefer the Klipsch "horn-style" realism that has been engineered into the RF-7's over the more illusive soundstage of the Mirage set... but, then again, if it were mine to do, I would have opted for the new Heritage offerings... and not take a back seat in speaker quality in so fine a room.

But... I guess I am more into wanting to see my guests leave after experiencing a sound experience beyond the "ordinary" and up to the high standard of the video portion... especially for a $40k installation. I have been there a time or three. -HornED

I guess none of us have any advise cause none of us have any experience with any expensive HT like you guys. We only dream of being able to have what you guys have. I'm sure what ever you get you will be satisfied with and either one will blow your mind.

------------------

I like my bass like I like my women, deep and tight.

i think i am going to take this quote to a few other dealers, and see what they can do for me. i will look at the new projecter, and i am for sure going to get Klipsch RF speakers, and 99% sure i am getting teh dual SVS's.

thanks guys, anything else? pass it on! i don't know how much we will watch on VHS, so i don't see why we even need it. We allready have a $300 SONY one... only a few years old.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

And one more thing. Smile.gif

You might want to consider the Stewart FireHawk screen. Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

IMO, for that kind of money, I would go with separates, without even thinking twice.

I know Klipsch speakers are very efficient, but I personally think that going with something like 3 RF-5s in the bakc instead of 3 RF-7s and spending the extra money on a quality pre/pro and separate amplification would yield a better return on your investment.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

just, yea again agree w/ seb. go seperates. if the aragon is 2much, take a look at b&k. you can do the ref 30 pre/7270 amp package all for under $5k easily.

agree w/ ed too, you need much more subage. do the dual ultra w/ crown amp or get 2-4 velo hgs-18 I if you got the budget.

i'd stick w/ the designer maybe just on the video side.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Throw my .02 in here as well since it is someone else's money. A dealer is insane to recommend a receiver when you are spending this much money.

Get an Anthem AVM20 (great music and HT) or used Lexicon MC1 processor (logic 7 and amongst the very best in HT processing) and then buy Sherbourn's 5 channel amp and a second 2 channel - which will be upgradable to 5 channels if the future ever merits it.

Forget the Da-lite - get a greyhawk (greater field of vision) or firehawk (smaller field greater brightness) screen by Stewart. The Sharp is very, very nice but DLP's could give you a headache so watch it for a couple of hours in the dealers showroom prior to purchase. The Sony VHT10/11 is very nice as well for much less money, is LCD, and has no rainbow effect. Or there is the one mentioned in the previous post.

The Pronto Pro is a super nice remote, very customizable with a color LCD. It is the only one on my list.

R7's all around with SVS subs and you are good to go. If this is a 6.1 or 7.1 system, forget the RS7's.

------------------

Home Theater

KSP 400's

KSP C6

KSP S6's

Yamaha RXV995

Music Room

Heresy's

KG4's

KSW200

The move to separates is coming, I can feel it.

As a few before me pointed out you should SERIOUSLY consider separates.Damn, Justin listen you are building a $42000 HT room,not a BOSE in a BOX "HT" here.

Let me direct you towards two choices...

ATI ATP8500 pre/pro and upgradable coupled with the ATI 2505 power amp(high quality and all the power ANY speaker may EVER need)

or my top choice if I was shopping for a HT system with your budget

Sunfire Theater Grand III (the pre/pro to get in its price range) and the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature power amp(all the power and quality even Thiel or Dyanudio power hungry speakers would need)

I know B&K,Acurus,Yamaha,Denon and I could make a long list.Its just ATI and Sunfire are my two fave choices.

And if you want to save a good bit you can always get Outlaw's new pre/pro and their 7 channel power amp.Still great quality at a very low price.

Still its a $42000 HT here,I would get the Sunfire combo,I can guarante you would not complain about quality or lack of power.And even the features you have on a Sunfire pre/pro are plenty for even TheEAR.

And before I buy a pre/pro it better be a quality part and have plenty of inputs and outputs.The Sunfire pre/pro has three sub outs too.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I am going to Tweeter Home Entertainment today to give them the list and quote from Audio Deminsions and ask for their suggestions, as well as providing the suggestions that I have gotton in my posts here.

I like Tweeter because they carry more tan two names of speakers, Audio Deminsions carries Mirage, M/K, Polk, BOSE and JAZZ as well as Nakamichi, but despises of Klipsch. However, I had never heard of M/K or Jazz, and they did not have any of the reference Polk and I don't care for Nakamichi cheap plastic housings.

Infact, when I was talking to them, one of the guys actually did the cupping of the hands and said, "So you like THIS kind of sound", imitating a horn. I did the hand infront of the face, "So you like THIS kind of music", he was pushing BOSE for our music room. He had a good laugh, and I had a good walk out of there.

I really don't want to use Audio D. They are not very audio smart... They had never heard of Grado, Levinson, Paradigm or Mondial. They only know what the manufacturers tell them about the products that they sell, nothing more. So, you get all the pro's of the speakers, but none of the cons. Since Tweeter sells MartinLogan, Mirage, Yamaha, Klipsch, Nakamichi, BOSE (darn), Tivoli, Boston Acoustics, and Sony to name a few. I have contacts at Tweeter that I really trust, and I think that is my best route. The only other real home theater store around me is The Home Theater store.

The Home Theater store sells more HDTV's than any other home dealer. (i got both of mine there) They only sell two brands of speakers. BOSE and B&W. And while I love the B&W speakers for music, on movies... it seemed to me that there was just a littel bit missing. I think it is just the dome tweeters that I don't care for. I like horns, one of my reasons for going with Klipsch. They treat you as if you are buying a car from a used car lot. Why ont look at this model, this comes with a 2 year warranty, over here we have one for only $2000 more and it brings... That kind of treatment is just not for me. I go in there, I say, I want a 46" Mits. HDTV for $1950, and then the next time, I want another Mits. HDTV, but a 55" and i want it for $2500 max. Done. I don't do their financing, don't get thier warranties from Zenith/Philips and I don't want to be blinding by pretty packages and fancy slogans.

There is always Circuity City and Best Buy and Fry's, holding a combined amount of 5 different brands of speakers, and about 1/5 the intelligence of even Audio Deminsions.

So, when I go to Tweeter, I will ask this.

What do you recommend for this setup, and list the specs of the room and the max budget of $35,000 (the rest is for seating and the decor).

Then I will show him the quote I got. Ask what he thinks. As if he can do better (he will be able to).

Since I am not a videophile, I plan to go on what he says and what he says about the suggestions here. Hopefully he will agree with you guys Smile.gif

Then I will voice my love for Klipsch speakers. Ask him what he would suggest for a 7.1 system out of them, whether it is 7 RF-7's, 5 R&-7's and two RS-7's, or 3 RF-7's, 2 RS-7's and 2 RS-5's. Or any other configuration he suggests.

Then we will work to the Amps. What seperates, can I get Lexicons or maybe Aragon, and what he suggests, a two piece or maybe a single? No thongs though (DVD, CD, Amp, Receiver all in one package = thong Smile.gif)

Then, we will get a final run over and estimate.

Is there anything that I could be missing from this? I will bring pictures of what we are working with.

Thanks again. Hopefully the next time I make a thread about this, it will be just to show it off Smile.gif That day can not come to soon haha.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

I like Tweeters. That is where I bought all my gear. Granted, my setup did not cost anywhere near what yours did (around $5000 total), but I liked the service at Tweeters. They did not try to sell me anymore than I absolutly needed and they had no problems making exchanges when I decided i wanted different/better grade speakers (for example, when I traded the SS-1s I had for a pair of RS-3s).

When I first went in the store, I mentioned to the sales person that I was looking for a HT setup and this is how much I was willing to spend and this is how big my room is. In fact, he immediatly showed me the Klispch products and suggested I go with a Reference Series 3 setup, although he did orginially suggest the SS-1s for surrounds and a KSW-10 for a sub - I guess to try to save me a little money. Of course, as some of you know, from some of my postings, I ended up trading in that for better speakers and a better sub. I listened to several of thier other speakers, but found myself coming back to Klipsh. On top of that, they even gave me a 10 percent discount for the full package!

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".