WHO HAS THE MOST BASS???????

Wrench722

dtel, I am very pleased! I don't know what it would take to lure me into any kind of change? That's a nice place to be, finally, after 30 years of the hobby. I've got in the back of my mind to go Jubescala. Probably the 510's like Islander. But it's hard to justify at this point in my life. Saving for retirement, kids college funds...at some point you have to be content, and my dear family has allowed me to go further than I ever thought. The only way I could afford the subs was during Danley's DIY kit deal. For that matter, used LaScalas are even more of a bargain. Nothing you guys don't already know, but when you evaluate this system in regards to total investment, it is unbeatable.

Yes, when the family can hide in your subs, you've probably gone far enough. LOL Too funny!

I swapped out crossovers with speakerfritz. He took my mismatched ones and traded me out for some rebuilt AA's. He added in polycarbonate bypass filters and after some burnin time, I could really appreciate the change. So, he sent me some metal film bypass as well that I'm going to install this weekend.

• Moderators

dtel, I am very pleased! I don't know what it would take to lure me into any kind of change? That's a nice place to be, finally, after 30 years of the hobby.

Your right, enjoy it. [Y]

I said that because I could imagine what it sounds like, I know what LaScala's sound like because I have that top half in the garage. And your subs little brother the Spud in the house and what those two little drivers do is amazing so I know those subs would be killer. Put the Lascala's with those two subs and your set, the clean sound of the LaScala and great bass. [H]

Don't know why I never realized you had the Spud. So you're using that for theater along with what mains? I heard a foursome of Spuds in a small room at Mike Heddon's (Danley Sound Labs). It was AMAZING base for any sub, much less a pair of 8's.

• Moderators

Don't know why I never realized you had the Spud. So you're using that for theater along with what mains? I heard a foursome of Spuds in a small room at Mike Heddon's (Danley Sound Labs). It was AMAZING base for any sub, much less a pair of 8's.

For theater it's one spud, three forte ll's across the front, the rear is two original forte's for L R and the extra forte ll for a rear center. It was either add the extra for a rear center or have to store it somewhere.

I also use the Spud for 2 Ch, with the MWM/K402's and I just set the crossover at the lowest setting 40, and it can keep up with the MWM's. [Y]

I don't have a pre-amp for the 2 ch so I just use pre-outs from the HT receiver so this way the BR player, satellite, internet radio and the sub can be used for either setup.

For Ht I have the front f ll's on speakers A on the HT receiver so I just hit that button to use the Ht. The 2 ch is on the pre-outs so I press the A button to disconnect the Ht mains hit the stereo button and it's 2 ch with the MWM's.

It's real convenient this way but I know 2 ch would probably sound better with a separate pre-amp, but this works great for now, and I think both sounds better than anything I have had before. [:P]

• Moderators

I built the one Spud with plans to add another but never got around to it, one was much better than I had expected, especially for the price, 2 drivers and some wood, I had the amp already from my last DIY sub I killed trying to keep up with the MWM's.

If I do build another I would need a different amp or another one, I had thought about building one/two like yours, so who knows what will happen. My problem is I have other projects that I really need to do first, like a new workshop since I gave mine to the wife for a sewing room, now my tools are jammed into a small area without enough room to build anything.

For theater it's one spud, three forte ll's across the front, the rear is two original forte's for L R and the extra forte ll for a rear center. It was either add the extra for a rear center or have to store it somewhere.

I also use the Spud for 2 Ch, with the MWM/K402's and I just set the crossover at the lowest setting 40, and it can keep up with the MWM's. Yes

I don't have a pre-amp for the 2 ch so I just use pre-outs from the HT receiver so this way the BR player, satellite, internet radio and the sub can be used for either setup.

For Ht I have the front f ll's on speakers A on the HT receiver so I just hit that button to use the Ht. The 2 ch is on the pre-outs so I press the A button to disconnect the Ht mains hit the stereo button and it's 2 ch with the MWM's.

It's real convenient this way but I know 2 ch would probably sound better with a separate pre-amp, but this works great for now, and I think both sounds better than anything I have had before. Stick out tongue

If it were me (yeah, I know...) I'd try integrating the MWMs into the HT as mains and use all the Forte as center and surround.I realise that it might be a downgradefrom a perfect timbre match, but the dynamics gained might be worthit. Did you ever try?

Danley Sound Labs - The Matterhorn. Big Smile

As the guy with the most impressive DIY DR sub I've ever heard (FELT!!), nice to see that you can look out from your high perch and recognize other great stuff. Kudos to ya fellow Canuck!!

It's real convenient this way but I know 2 ch would probably sound better with a separate pre-amp, but this works great for now, and I think both sounds better than anything I have had before. Stick out tongue

The problem with going full separates is noise, ground loops, etc. Since the MWMs are so darn efficient.........I measured less than 100 Milliwatts on most things with mine, actually about 13 MLLIwatts for "normal" 80 db listening. Unless someone has tried the BIG horns with MWMs, they won't understand....the K402 "tweeter" is bigger than the LaScala Bass horn, etc.

Anyway, I have been using Onkyo receivers for years with the big horns. With the quality of high speed SS amps, great integration of features, and the fact that there is not need for high power on the big horns (my MWM woofer amps were the 15 Watt cheapo sub amps from Parts Express at $33 each on sale).

So my vote would be for you to keep using the receiver the way you are and that you will see no improment wasting money on separate pre amps.

I for one am glad that all this HT/BR stuff has finally settle down into a workable standard and we can play everything through a BR.

I like the way you have yours set up. I'm also a big fan of the Forte's and have a pair set up at my lady friend's house as part of HT/Stereo. Great value and rock solid bass to below 40 hz.

Hope to have my tapped horn "Coffe Table Sub" completed by the end of month. I have had other bigger projects get in the way, but it looks like I will finally have the time to do it.

I still think anything Tapped Horn from Danley blows away all other commercial offerings. I have set up 3 SPUDS at a friend's house and I still can't believe the output from those long horn with small drivers.

IMG_3507.JPG

The most bass I've ever heard in a home was JC's. Two of those monster subs and that is 4 18s in one room. Your clothes would literally move back and forth if you stood close to one of them. I was in awe of the pressure levels they could generate.

• Moderators

The most bass I've ever heard in a home was JC's. Two of those monster subs and that is 4 18s in one room. Your clothes would literally move back and forth if you stood close to one of them. I was in awe of the pressure levels they could generate.

And one thing about JC, he will not waste time if does not sound really good, he will move on. So anything he put's together will sound good if he even slightly likes it.

• Moderators

If it were me (yeah, I know...) I'd try integrating the MWMs into the HT as mains and use all the Forte as center and surround.I realize that it might be a downgradefrom a perfect timbre match, but the dynamics gained might be worth it. Did you ever try?

I tried, one of the problems is the MWM's are much lower at the same point on the volume dial, probably because there on the pre-outs. I went into the receivers menu and the only option is to drop the mains down by 10 db which is the wrong way .

I need to see if I can adjust the center and rears to match the volume of the MWM's as the front two. Or maby just not use the center and set it go through the front L R and lower the rears and try that.

I had thought about selling all the fortes and using a commercial center and 2 commercial rears, but Christy will not get rid of the fortes and we really don't have anywhere else to put them, and as hard as they were to find I really don't want to sell them.

The room is 24' wide but with the size of the MWM's there is only about 12' between them and they sound huge, so no center would not be a big deal.

I need to do some more experimenting, if it can be done I may leave it like that. I don't really say anything but the forte's only get used for movies and never for music, sometimes even concert dvd's are played in 2 ch. It just sounds better. [:$]

• Moderators

I still think anything Tapped Horn from Danley blows away all other commercial offerings. I have set up 3 SPUDS at a friend's house and I still can't believe the output from those long horn with small drivers.

There big compare to most commercial subs but I agree the tapped horn like the Spud does an unbelievable job for the small drivers it has.

And your right the receiver is VERY convenient as a pre-amp.