WHO HAS THE MOST BASS???????

Wrench722

• Moderators

You know...I was listening last night and thinking of this thread. It dawned on me that when you have enough, it doesn't matter who has "the most". Outside of fun conversation that is. LOL.

Your right for music, I have the gain on the sub usually set at a good bit less than half, for movies about half volume.

For movies it's a little different, more bass can be used, so during explosions/crashes or things that in real life would be loud and low freq you want that that extra bass to shake the room where you can feel it, and little lightweight subs can't cut it there. IMO

There's nothing like the look on peoples faces when something in a movie happens and there not expecting it and has never heard what it can sound like, I have seen someone jump off the sofa in suprise and just look at me like I did something. I thought I was going to hurt myself laughing when my brother in law did that once. [:D]

sometimes even concert dvd's are played in 2 ch. It just sounds better. Embarrassed

One some recordings, yes, I noticed that. But in my case, the big horn stack is used for both 2 ch. and 5.1......actually 5.0 since my sub isn't built yet.

dtel, I could have made myself clearer. I agree with your comments on home theater use. But I was talking more from the perspective assuming one of the more capable sub options. For instance, folks will debate which sub is the holy grail and say one might be better because it has a few db more output or any other variable. In reality, once you have headroom for your goals, what does more headroom really mean? Are there better sub options than my pair of DTS10's? sure. But if they are performing beyond my needs, why would I entertain anything "better". I would only adjust them down to my needs.

There are more variables to a good subwoofer than SPL. But looking from that perspective, I don't understand the chase. There's a guy on another forum that has three of the DTS10's and is trading out for something "better". He should be capable of 130db or more already. What's the purpose of more? If the purpose is for nothing more than the love of the hobby, then I understand.

Let's face it, 99 of 100 folks will leave the room if you play Transformers up around 120db. It is impressive from a hobbiest standpoint, but not used during normal use.

Hey...just some rambling thoughts. I'm not saying its not fun. :)

• Moderators

Your right after a certain point there is not much difference in the way a movie sounds when you can play it louder than you would listen and still have the headroom.

Also considering what size they would have to be to really gain, the two DTS 10's are right at the best without a really big size increase, An IB could beat it ( I guess) but they only fit in certain situations.

You know...I was listening last night and thinking of this thread. It dawned on me that when you have enough, it doesn't matter who has "the most". Outside of fun conversation that is. LOL.

And anything more than a handfull is a waste[:P]

In reality, once you have headroom for your goals, what does more headroom really mean? Are there better sub options than my pair of DTS10's? sure. But if they are performing beyond my needs, why would I entertain anything "better". I would only adjust them down to my needs.

There are more variables to a good subwoofer than SPL. But looking from that perspective, I don't understand the chase. There's a guy on another forum that has three of the DTS10's and is trading out for something "better". He should be capable of 130db or more already. What's the purpose of more? If the purpose is for nothing more than the love of the hobby, then I understand.

Let's face it, 99 of 100 folks will leave the room if you play Transformers up around 120db. It is impressive from a hobbiest standpoint, but not used during normal use.

I can't believe someone would want to trade out 3 DTS-10's for "something better." I don't think there's anything better than those for the $$ in kit form at the moment. For a KiloBuck and a half KiloWatt amp, you can flex drywall with just ONE DTS-10. Jeez..........

CECAA, now that's funny! :)

Claude, read around in the DTS10 thread over at AVS. He sure enough is. [*-)]

I've been in enough rooms and enough setups to summize that we aren't all having the same experience...even with the same equipment. The room play a huge factor in performance (particularly with subs). That's why I'd love to hear his room personally. I've got to believe that if his three were performing like my pair, that he wouldn't be on the hunt.

It's happened on a few occassions that someone thought their setup was rockin' and when I heard it I was left far from impressed. I've also heard rooms that sound better than the equipment list would lead on. You can't look at an impressive photo, or read that list at the bottom of somones signature and think you know the sound they have.

You know, I watched the original Star Wars with my son tonight and it had the THX lightning storm promo. When the ball cracked the sound literally hit me in my chest and my close fluttered. As it finished, I felt air blowing across my knees and ankles. It was a great experience...so I did it again! I know my subs don't scream "bass" but they definitely get the job done.

I've also heard rooms that sound better than the equipment list would lead on. You can't look at an impressive photo, or read that list at the bottom of somones signature and think you know the sound they have.

Perhaps this is true based on room VOLUME variables, but I can't imagine anything better than DTS10's unless you are working then in an IMAX theater instead of a home, then maybe another Danley product would fill the bill. Heck just 3 SPUDS with those little 8" woofers in the same configuration in a slightly shorter Tapped Horn, flexes the room walls, so DTS 10's should shake any room in any home if they are place right (without cancelling each others outputs, eh?). There's enough scientific instrumentation and software available cheap to be able to set it up right, instead of the popular "emotional testing" that seems to persist in the industry.

• 1 month later...

Hello, it's not my system, but there is a person that goes by notnyt over at avs (he is selling is rf-83s right now). He has build up in his theater of 8 LMS ultra 5400s. Not to mention his mains have either 18 or 15" JBL woofers.

Dan

Oh hi.

bass

• Like 1

I'm sure mine is modest compared to some, but it works well for me. I have four 18" drivers mounted in a wall in my living room in an IB configuration. Each driver has an x-max of 27 mm (displaces over 17 litres). There's roughly 600 watts going to each driver. My living room has 3 open doors, so the room doesn"t actually "pressurize" but it'll do 110 dB at 10Hz at the listening position. The IB will actually turn the blades on the ceiling fans in an adjacent room and flex windows in the back of the house.

He said [:|]modest..............

Like I said, mine is modest compared to some[;)].

My design goals when I built the IB were to have a sub that could keep up with my RF-7's at full song. It had to be low distortion and dig deep. I didn't need any more than that. I needed depth for movies and clarity for music. I also didn't want to have to run yet another dedicated circuit for a megawatt amp. I think I hit all my goals.

Back in 2003 when anything dot.com was nuts a company popped up called returnbuy that sold HIGH volumes of returned merchandise, and to get themselves going they ran a CRAZY promotion that included a 12" Bazooka car woofer for $9.99 shipped. One guy bought 32 of them and stuck them into a wall of his house and built an enclosure behind them. I don't think he ever got close to driving them full power, 6.4kw, short thread still exists with bad links on avsforum.

I do like chest slapping bass, but thats more a mid bass thing, 60 to 120hz, but can't argue that lots of bass isn't fun.

Just built an 18-foot tapped horn "coffee table" sub with ONE LAB 12 woofer. The mouth is at my feet and makes the skin on my shins flap. It measures ruler flat to from 20-60Hz. at the mouth and has useable output to about 17 Hz. I keep the levels down since I'm in a condo. I can't even imagine what 3 DTS 10's would do with even longer horns (25 feet?) and 6 times the number of drivers.

Heck most guyus are happy with ONE SPUD and mine is like 1 1/2 spuds.

• Moderators

Who has the most bass, well I figured it out, NASA.

We live about 25 miles from where they tested the rocked engines, and they win the contest. You don't hear anything, at first just everything rumbling, you can feel it, then you start to hear it a little as the vibrations and rumbling picks up. Toward the end it increases a good bit right before it stops, it's a very strange feeling because you know something going on way before you hear it.

Where Groomlake lives in South Florida, I am sure he has felt the actual launch.

NASA describes it like this, " The silence that followed the shake, rattle and roar of the space shuttle main
engine test Oct. 22 at NASA’s John C. Stennis Space Center signaled more than a
successful completion of 520 seconds of high-pressure firing. "

Who has the most bass, well I figured it out, NASA.

We live about 25 miles from where they tested the rocked engines, and they win the contest. You don't hear anything, at first just everything rumbling, you can feel it, then you start to hear it a little as the vibrations and rumbling picks up. Toward the end it increases a good bit right before it stops, it's a very strange feeling because you know something going on way before you hear it.

Where Groomlake lives in South Florida, I am sure he has felt the actual launch.

NASA describes it like this, " The silence that followed the shake, rattle and roar of the space shuttle main engine test Oct. 22 at NASA’s John C. Stennis Space Center signaled more than a successful completion of 520 seconds of high-pressure firing. "

Wait a second, what about Mother Nature? She made some serious bass the other day in the Richmond/Charlottsville area. Frankly, though, I think Father Universe may be the winner with the one-time Big Bang. The only trouble is, nobody witnessed it, so it may not have made any noise. hmmmm