WHO HAS THE MOST BASS???????

Wrench722

Like I said, mine is modest compared to someWink.

My design goals when I built the IB were to have a sub that could keep up with my RF-7's at full song. It had to be low distortion and dig deep. I didn't need any more than that. I needed depth for movies and clarity for music. I also didn't want to have to run yet another dedicated circuit for a megawatt amp. I think I hit all my goals.

Me too. I'm happy with my Coffee Table Tapped Horn of 18 foot folded length. Ruler flat from 20-60 Hz at the mouth, output to 15 Hz. useable with room gain. I don't use a Highpass filter because I don't listent that loud for music, but the +10 db LFE boost for movies does tax the Xmax of the LAB12, I can feel it with my hand, since the driver is close to the mouth and accecible from the couch............yowza.

I've had other subs in the past, including TWIN VMPS Large subs with lots of watts, but I like the seamless blend of the Tapped Horn with the corner horns.....it just extends the low and another octave and a half..........amazed at what I was missing before.

Interesting thread ...

I'm in the Danley camp ... went with the DTS-20 in 2006 due to its small footprint, allowing me to hide it behind millwork. While the DTS-20 is not as powerful as the -10, it is plenty for our family room. I'm the only one in the house who will crank up the volume (and only when I'm home alone), but it sounds very balanced with the Klipschorns at regular listening volumes.

My Denon AVR989 comes with the Audyssey MultEQ XT, and I must say that the setup was a snap and got the Klipschorn-Danley balance just right. I know this because it sounds great and natural when in the room, but thunderous from other parts of the house. I find myself looking out the window for thunderstorms when my wife is watching movies downstairs.

For photos, see thread below. You can see the room being remodeled and the millwork going in.

Enjoy.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/70761.aspx?PageIndex=1

Interesting thread ...

I'm in the Danley camp ... went with the DTS-20 in 2006 due to its small footprint, allowing me to hide it behind millwork. While the DTS-20 is not as powerful as the -10, it is plenty for our family room. I'm the only one in the house who will crank up the volume (and only when I'm home alone), but it sounds very balanced with the Klipschorns at regular listening volumes.

My Denon AVR989 comes with the Audyssey MultEQ XT, and I must say that the setup was a snap and got the Klipschorn-Danley balance just right. I know this because it sounds great and natural when in the room, but thunderous from other parts of the house. I find myself looking out the window for thunderstorms when my wife is watching movies downstairs.

For photos, see thread below. You can see the room being remodeled and the millwork going in.

Enjoy.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/70761.aspx?PageIndex=1

My coffee table sub, using the LAB12 driver, is very close to the DTS 20 in performance.......it's just folded more. The design was a coop effort on the DIY forum, using David McBean's Hornresp software for the simulation, Don Snyder's folding scheme and a couple of guys built it. With Mic in mouth, mine measures Ruler flat from 20-60 Hz. which is a perfect complement to my K bass horn clones and the rest of my horn stack (see Avatar). It adds a missing dimention to music, and kicks royal butt with movies. All from a $550 Onkyo receiver control unit with Audyssey Multi EQ room correction, and some exxternal bass, sub bass amplifiers.

I wonder if it's still 'mid' bass most people experience while watching movies and are exited about.

It's no secret that one fella from Oz (founder of Eminent ?) invented rotary subwoofer which lets

you listen to 5Hz sound and is capable of pushing a lot of air. Only this small thing for him left to do - and that's to convince customers that they can actually hear those low-low frequencies..

I wonder if it's still 'mid' bass most people experience while watching movies and are exited about.

I get a good hard mid bass thump in the chest from my RF-7's (with 300wpc behind them) during concert videos. I also get that queasy feeling during suspense movies from ULF from my IB. They're 2 completely different feelings and both kinda cool.

Thanks, Dtel ... Hope you and the family are well!

Yeah, I might have been among the first, not sure. Soundbroker up in WA originally brought Danley to light and it seemed like a good sub solution so I tried it. It's been great.

Danley is a great company that offers outstanding customer service. I had a few amplifier hiccups which they dealt with quickly, even when the amp was out of warranty. Nice people.

I've read with interest about the DTS-10 kits which were available at one time. Can't imagine that much bass in one room, let alone a pair of them.

Chris

I've read with interest about the DTS-10 kits which were available at one time. Can't imagine that much bass in one room, let alone a pair of them.

The kit's are available again until the end of Sept. . With a pair of them I believe it's more about balance than sheer volume . Considering the move to a pair of DTS-10s myself . Biggest drawback for me is that I'm in the lower percentile of cabinet assembly skills and have none of the tools or space required for the build . Anyone here have a ballpark figure for the cost of having them built by a pro ?

Chris,

I have built two of the kits and they are extremely easy to put together. If you can drive a screw with a screw gun you have it made. One of the criticle items is sealing all of the joints, I used construction adheasive (Liquid Nails Pro). If I remember correctly, you will have to order some hardware, they provide the T-Nuts but I think you have to provide the mounting screws for the speakers and panels. I have a list that I will be glad to share as I ordered mine through McMaster-Carr in Atlanta. Order today receive tomorrow. The kits are pre-cut to perfection and the parts are labeled with a router in large letters. All of the parts align perfectly and it is pretty much a No Brainer when it comes to assembly. "So easy as Caveman could do it....!" It can easily be put together in a day outside on sawhorses if you don't have the gagage space. You will need someone to help you "flip" it a couple of times as it is rather heavy when assembled. I found using the saw horses was much easier on my back rather than having to get down on the floor to assemble. It just depends on what you are comfortable with.

The lengthy part is how you want to finish them. Some people veneer them (takes a bunch) or like me, I just stained them and finished with clear Poly. The two of mine make up the riser for my HT seating and are hidden so well you don't even notice them, until they go to work....!

Hope this helps as you will not be disapointed if you go the Danley route. I think the kit is $975.00 plus shiping. You can email: jeff@danleysoundlabs.com Jeff can give you all of the details that you will need to order. The people at danley are great to work with and they make sure that you are happy with their products.

W. C.

WC,

That's a really nice post. I'm glad Danley has made the process so clean and straightforward.

I fly through CLT a few weeks every month. I'd love to drop off some time and hear your system. Must be insane. I have Klipschorns with a Belle center (Heresy rears for WAF). The DTS-20 is hidden from sight as yours are. I don't think I have the "roar" factor yours do, but it's definitely not shabby.

Chris

Chris,

The main reason I went with two is to balance the room out. It is large 32 x 18 and I also wanted them to make the riser for the seating. I am absolutely sure that one would have been sufficient. I at times really turn it up and listening to "Dance to the Music" can hurt you in the chest. I played a Blue Ray of Resident Evil the other night and thought the "off beat" base was going to do structural damage..! (See the signature line that I added a few days ago) They provide great low end at lower levels also. The two fill the room nicely as when I had one it seemed a bit directional, as to where the low frequencies were originating. If I could have got the one behind the flat screen I may not have needed the second. Actually, if you add up the cost of the lumber for building a riser, there is really not a whole lot of difference in cost. The shipping for the kits is very reasonable as Danley is just down the road. They way they are made, they can support a tremendous amount of weight and the ports are on either side of the listening position. I am pretty close to the airport and work across the river in Gaston County. If you are familiar with Charlotte you know of Gastonia....! A whole "nother" story.[:D]

W. C.

Sunburn, I've built three of them and can do one now in about 3 hours tops.

How about this...you come up to Greenville, SC. The manufacturer is about an hour north of my house. We pick up directly from them. We can build it together at my place and you haul back home. You can also hear my pair prior to picking yours up, so you'll know if it will work for you. You may have higher expectations... hahahahahaha....hahahahahahaha.

You bring pizza and drinks. ;)

Yeah Im still searching for the ever elusive DSP 3400's. I have to come 2 conclusions. They suck and nobody bought them..... or they are awesome and nobody sells them.Beer I'm trying to find out one way or the other.

I think from all I have read about the 3400 that most owners are very pleased with them and the professional "reviews" I have seen are favorable. Very good bang for the buck. Paradigm has been building top shelf powered subs since the 90's. I own (2) Paradigm Servo 15a's and they were considered among the top tier subs to have during the late 1990's to early 2000's. If Paradigm built such high performing subs back then, I am sure the current model 3400 has benefited from the success of that.

Bill

The Space Shuttle launch exhaust, approximately 3 miles per second, is said to be 215 decibels! This is louder than one ton of TNT.

How they measure that, I don’t know, since the SATURN 5 ROCKETSHIP is said to melt “concrete and burns grass one mile away!”

Some rough numbers for Saturn V after brief web search:

SPL at source: 220 dB

At 1000 yds.: 197 dB

At 1 mile: 135 dB

“at least a half-mile away lest you get inundated by 165-170 decibels of painful sound. Unlike many other loud noises, the shuttle rocket sound is constant as it creates the thrust necessary to lift it from the ground.”

I know. Been there. I was on the overpass on I-95 when all the cars pulled over. So we stopped too. Just in time to see, hear and feel a shuttle launch vibrate and shake that concrete bridge as easily as a storm jiggles a tree – ten miles away.