WHO HAS THE MOST BASS???????

Wrench722

hey Colin ... if your into space shuttles launches I suggest (if you haven't already done so) you watch the IMAX movie on the Hubble telescope. They show a lauch scene that will blow your ears out if your not quick with the volume. After I watched it in my basement I got a text from my wife who was asleep on the 3rd floor saying "jeez I guess we really do have a nice system" lol...... That was with my A5-350's.

• Moderators

The Space Shuttle launch exhaust, approximately 3 miles per second, is said to be 215 decibels! This is louder than one ton of TNT.

How they measure that, I don’t know, since the SATURN 5 ROCKETSHIP is said to melt “concrete and burns grass one mile away!”

Some rough numbers for Saturn V after brief web search:

SPL at source: 220 dB

At 1000 yds.: 197 dB

At 1 mile: 135 dB

“at least a half-mile away lest you get inundated by 165-170 decibels of painful sound. Unlike many other loud noises, the shuttle rocket sound is constant as it creates the thrust necessary to lift it from the ground.”

I know. Been there. I was on the overpass on I-95 when all the cars pulled over. So we stopped too. Just in time to see, hear and feel a shuttle launch vibrate and shake that concrete bridge as easily as a storm jiggles a tree – ten miles away.

Before we moved to Miss we lived on Hwy 190 E in Louisiana, not even 5 miles south from Stennis. Our house had swamp up to the back yard, on the other side of the swamp was Stennis less than 5 miles away.

The 100+ year old house would shake and everything would vibrate. They would seem to test more when there were unusual weather, extreme fog or lower than normal cold or really hot, most of the time in the evening or at night.

We now live about 25-30 miles away and you could still hear and feel it here, just not as much. I think they have not tested in a while, It was cool and I do miss it, when it happens you could imagine the power considering it's miles away and you can feel it. We had tickets to go watch a test but it was canceled and after that security got a little tighter and it wasn't quite as public anymore.

This is not my pic

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/stennis/home/index.html

post-11804-13819661937024_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...
On 7/4/2011 at 12:25 PM, seti said:

IMG_3507.JPG

The most bass I've ever heard in a home was JC's. Two of those monster subs and that is 4 18s in one room. Your clothes would literally move back and forth if you stood close to one of them. I was in awe of the pressure levels they could generate.

Hi @seti  , yep this is an older thread , what kind of speakers are these  in the picture , I remember a Klipsch speaker that looked somewhat  like this  but not sure  -------they look like  the MiniPunch  but they are not square cabs , are these 15 or 12's ----tx

35 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Hi @seti  , yep this is an older thread , what kind of speakers are these  in the picture , I remember a Klipsch speaker that looked somewhat  like this  but not sure  -------they look like  the MiniPunch  but they are not square cabs , are these 15 or 12's ----tx

If I'm not mistaken, those are JWCs "Snails" that were dual 15's.  

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

If I'm not mistaken, those are JWCs "Snails" that were dual 15's.  

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

The LF is a straight tractrix horn of @jwc design. The 402 and 510 atop that. Great sounding  system. I now have the tractrix and they are about to be my shop speakers.

index.jpg.305e977648f33387cc74db1f9be1250b.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 11:46 AM, RandyH000 said:

iHi @seti  , yep this is an older thread , what kind of speakers are these  in the picture , I remember a Klipsch speaker that looked somewhat  like this  but not sure  -------they look like  the MiniPunch  but they are not square cabs , are these 15 or 12's ----tx

Yes it is an older thread.  JWC had just obtained those subs. Seti, Mark 1101, and I were there and assisted in dialing them in .  

There are lots of subs out there but few are musical and have IMPACT at the same time. 

With the strait horn trax mid-bass, K402 -K510'a top end....and those subs.  All driven by four bridged Mac 275's and two Mac 1.2KW amps??

Being around audio for fifty years I hesitate in saying something like this...........  Top to bottom , That was the best audio system I ever heard !!! 

tc

• Like 1