Walnut and Black La Scalas

CapZark

I have a pair of birch La Scalas that are in rough condition. I'd like to go over them with a walnut veneer, but the inside of the dog house it too complex for me to veneer. I was thinking about painting the dog house black with a satin sheen and doing walnut veneer on the outside. Has anyone ever seen something like this? Do you think it would look okay or I am wasting my time with this plan?

It's not that bad. Just take your time and cut paper templets and transfer.

I have seen some put grill cloth half way back. Belle like. They also added a stiffener. That would keep you from doing the really hard part and would look awesome.

It's not that bad. Just take your time and cut paper templets and transfer.

I have seen some put grill cloth half way back. Belle like. They also added a stiffener. That would keep you from doing the really hard part and would look awesome.

That's what I did. I think they turned out pretty nice. I cut my templates out of 1/8" or maybe it was 3/16" luan plywood.

Posted Image

Yes, those look spectacular. Way more accents and trim than I am capable of though. I started thinking about it and decided I will try to veneer the inside of the house. My plan for the grills was to use the flat piece at the very back of the triangle or angled board to support one side of the grill and then tack on another brace directly opposite to support the other side of the grill. This grill would be much smaller than what you see in this picture and it would be further back basically exposing the entire diagonal in the house. They would also be at a right angle to the sides of the speaker, not at an angle like you see here. What do you think about that? Will those grills be too small and too far back to look respectable? Also, will the tacked in brace that far back effect the sound coming out of the loaded bass horn? The last thing I want to do is screw up the sound.

That's way beyond my grade level. We have only one good source of veneer around here and it comes in 4X8 sheets (paper backed). I also use the heat lock glue. I've had horable results with contact cement. The veneer I get has a repeating pattern in it that's about 6 inches wide. Not like that sweet rosewood you use. I think I will run the grain front to back rather than up and down since the La Scalas are nothing more than a big box - so all the grain moving front to back, top, sides, and inards. The stock box runs this way except the grain on the angled panels in the house run up and down. I guess I'll stick with this plan.

USNRET is trading a pair of LaScala for the veneer work I have done on his Belles, so I will be doing those next. I am going to use some of the ideas that jhoak pictured and some of the ideas from volti...

There is a hardwood supplier here in Houston that I would suggest you contact for material. He stocks 4x8 and 2x8 sheets, and is also able to order sequenced sheets. The Rosewood was ordered after the mfg. had sent pictures for approval, and the shipping was only about 15$

Houstonhardwoods.com - Guy Pike -you can only close a deal with them is you speak to them in person, but they are helpful and friendly to deal with

Good luck and drop me a line if I can help

Thanks for the advice, CAKE. I'll check into that place. I do have a question about edge banding. Do you have to use special stuff made for veneering the edges or can you just use the same venner you use for the panels (using the same glue and iron method)? I also guess tyou do the panels first and then put on the edge banding?