DFW Hornheads---

Rdmarsiii

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we can get a north Dallas one I would be in - hard enough for me to get free time on the weekends much less drive a couple hours around DFW :)

Ah...Jubs aren't really "roadable"...[:o]. There aren't a lot of them in the wild either.

500x375.aspx

Google Earth says it's 52 minutes from McKinney to Arlington [:D] Maybe you could find a ride and read your Kindle on the way?

[:#]

Chris

I would love to see how complicated jubs are to own,

We can certainly talk about that. I've found that keeping tube gear going is complicated, but not the Jubs: they're as solid as a rock.

Chris

I'm in princeton, which is east of McKinney. Feb 4th weekend is superbowl, and feb 11th I'm going down to beaumont to pick up a sub. Eventually I'll make it to one of these, and will happily pick up some north-north tx'ers with an aversion to driving. :P

Well, we could certainly make it before or after those two Saturdays.

Chris

I'm in princeton, which is east of McKinney. Feb 4th weekend is superbowl, and feb 11th I'm going down to beaumont to pick up a sub. Eventually I'll make it to one of these, and will happily pick up some north-north tx'ers with an aversion to driving. :P

not to far away at all - my Klipsch "system" is pretty weak but I have been an a/v fan for 15+ years and Klipsch for most of that time also

Well, we could certainly make it before or after those two Saturdays.

Chris

ha, don't change on my account. once i get back with my sub, i doubt i'll be leaving the house much at all; between research and holidays, i've waited quite a while to get this thing. i will still have to prep and paint the cabinet, then move it into place, measure and tweak room response, then re-watch everything i own. :)

my Klipsch "system" is pretty weak but I have been an a/v fan for 15+ years and Klipsch for most of that time also

that's one thing i love about this forum. There are some VERY expensive setups and collections, yet very few snobs. Everyone is very welcoming and supportive of each other's setups and gear.

Plenty of bragging, but that's to be expected ..the way in which the bragging is done - a friendly and mutually respected attitude - that keeps this place different than AVS and the like.

I have noticed that - great forum

I have owned the KLF20s and KLFC7 for about 9 years but my dad is taking them for their new theater room. I am forced to downsize a bit so I will end up with the RF62ii fronts and I currently have the RC52 center but may move up to the 62. my surround speakers are the lovely Quintets but I dont have room for anything larger at the moment

Sunfire HRS-12 sub (former SVS owner that I miss)

oh and I have Klipsch outdoor speakers :)

ha, don't change on my account. once i get back with my sub, i doubt i'll be leaving the house much at all...

Well, to everyone else: this would be a good time to speak up if you're interested and you've got a conflict with Saturday, 4 February, early afternoon to early evening. Come-and-go's are welcome as are stay-and-listen folks.

The whole idea is to meet folks and hear some Klipsch gear that you've not heard before. If you've got a piece of gear that you'd like to bring and hook in, let me know.

Chris

That's one thing i love about this forum. There are some VERY expensive setups and collections yet very few snobs. Everyone is very welcoming and supportive of each others setups and gear.

Plenty of bragging, but that's to be expected..the way in which the bragging is done - a friendly and mutually respected attitude - that keeps this place different than AVS and the like.

One of the reasons why: Klipsch speakers sound good whatever the model number relative to other brands. The main reason for this is horn-loaded drivers, in some cases including bass drivers. Klipsch speakers have ultra-low distortion that the ear is most sensitive to (IMD), especially at higher SPLs that are found in highly dynamic music.

What is interesting is that so many other speaker manufacturers still don't "get it" or else they would also have complete lines of horn-loaded speakers to compete with Klipsch. One reason why that is may be related to the learning curve in doing horn-loaded speakers well: it's easier to select a cone driver and place it in a MDF box than to deal with issues of high-efficiency speakers such as directivity control, achieving low harmonic distortion, relatively flat FR, and mating them with very good, very low power amplifiers. Horn-loaded bass speakers also need proper placement in properly-shaped, sized, and acoustically treated rooms to reach their full potential - something that cone-type speaker owners typically ignore.

Another reason why: Klipsch speakers usually aren't the smallest ones on the block.

It doesn't take many thousands of dollars/euros/pounds/rubles/rupees to achieve excellent sound reproduction--just a little knowledge and a good room to in which to listen to them.

Chris

Chris,

Is the Klipsch Jubilee Extravaganza still on for the 4th of February?

If so, then count me in and I'll be bringing an audio buddy.

I might be bringing an old (1961?) Scott Control Center Preamp Model 122 that Craig at NOSValve rebuilt in summer of 2009.

Mike

I would love to see how complicated jubs are to own, I thought about a pair of jubs last summer, contacted Delgado, read a bunch, but decided it might be over my simpleton push a button and listen mindset.

Just for the record, I'm about as simpleton as it comes. I'm here to tell you....if a dummy like me can get 'em and get things working, just about anyone can.

Don't forget....should you ever decide to go that route, you've got an ever growing support group to lean on.

Imagine how scarey it was for those early adopters [:|]

I would love to see how complicated jubs are to own, I thought about a pair of jubs last summer, contacted Delgado, read a bunch, but decided it might be over my simpleton push a button and listen mindset.

Just for the record, I'm about as simpleton as it comes. I'm here to tell you....if a dummy like me can get 'em and get things working, just about anyone can.

Don't forget....should you ever decide to go that route, you've got an ever growing support group to lean on.

Imagine how scarey it was for those early adopters Indifferent

<p>I think the most difficult thing about jubs would be getting them out of the box and then working out which way is up, lol.[H]

I'll provide my address via PM or email.

Good to hear that you've been given permission to attend! I grew up in Arlington myself...on the wrong side of town, of course. [:)]

Chris