First ever sub purchase - wattages, spl, inches...

solitaire

Perhaps it's a bit newbee but I'm trying to figure out what sub to go into my home cinema theatre. I can get a KSW 10, a 450 and a Sub 12 for reasonable money - or I can go with a BK XLS200 (10", closed and more audiophile) for roughly as much.

The thing is my theatre room is 19m3 which should be roughly 63 square feet in which I'm running a 6.0, soon to be 7.0 with two floorstanding (1"+1")+6.5"+(8"+8")s and the others (1"+1")+6.5" mid segment speakers driven by a Sony DA2400ES. All speakers are plugged and sound really inticing and musical to my ears. I don't play very loud but I like cinema-like sound levels.

Preferably the sub should go as low as possible, but I'm a bit confused about power. E.g. the BK uses 275W A/B stage which is said to rival 1000W D class stages. Ws should be measured using sinewave but obviously this doesn't apply here... (?). But I really like the idea about the Sub 12 (even though I usually prefer closed designs) however those 300 continous Ws seem a bit much - though perhaps they're not with the above in mind (if that holds true, that is). Using satellites in most positions the sub would have to deal with frequencies these cannot + the LFE.

What do you think? Should someone suggest I'd benefit from the RW12D I could indeed do the stretch for one, but I'm usually a 'one setting serves all purposes', kind of guy.

Thanx!

If you wanna go low and really pressurize that theater look at the Danley DTS-10. You can buy a kit for a bit over a grand, and it will blow the sox off about anything. Here's a link:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=DTS 10

A user here, tragusa3, put two of them in his HT. Here is a link to that build:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=876791

Perhaps it's a bit newbee but I'm trying to figure out what sub to go into my home cinema theatre. I can get a KSW 10, a 450 and a Sub 12 for reasonable money - or I can go with a BK XLS200 (10", closed and more audiophile) for roughly as much.

The thing is my theatre room is 19m3 which should be roughly 63 square feet in which I'm running a 6.0, soon to be 7.0 with two floorstanding (1"+1")+6.5"+(8"+8")s and the others (1"+1")+6.5" mid segment speakers driven by a Sony DA2400ES. All speakers are plugged and sound really inticing and musical to my ears. I don't play very loud but I like cinema-like sound levels.

Preferably the sub should go as low as possible, but I'm a bit confused about power. E.g. the BK uses 275W A/B stage which is said to rival 1000W D class stages. Ws should be measured using sinewave but obviously this doesn't apply here... (?). But I really like the idea about the Sub 12 (even though I usually prefer closed designs) however those 300 continous Ws seem a bit much - though perhaps they're not with the above in mind (if that holds true, that is). Using satellites in most positions the sub would have to deal with frequencies these cannot + the LFE.

What do you think? Should someone suggest I'd benefit from the RW12D I could indeed do the stretch for one, but I'm usually a 'one setting serves all purposes', kind of guy.

Thanx!

Sorry I over did it. [:$] But when you said you wanted low, the Danley is the best out there for that. I am confused by your numbers. How many feet by how many feet by how high is that room you are doing? I'm not sure what 19m3 is, and 63 square feet seemed like a typo, as that is only 6'4" X 10' and you have 6 speakers already. That's not much bigger than the size of the inside of a car.

Sorry I over did it. Embarrassed But when you said you wanted low, the Danley is the best out there for that. I am confused by your numbers. How many feet by how many feet by how high is that room you are doing? I'm not sure what 19m3 is, and 63 square feet seemed like a typo, as that is only 6'4" X 10' and you have 6 speakers already. That's not much bigger than the size of the inside of a car.

Thanx for your chiming in on the matter. :)

Then I seem to have made a misstake with my maths[:$]. I forgot we're dealing with area here. Would 211 square feet sound more realistic? Rougly 12 feet wide and perhaps 18 feet long.

May have been a bit obscure about the speakers present too. The Fronts are four-ways with 6.5" mids and twin 8" woofers, the Sats are three-ways with 6.5" mids/ woofers. The receiver is good for 100-ish Ws max per channel with a 360W power supply. But like said: I'm not really pushing the speakers at all.

Thanx but that one seems like a bit of overkill to me.

I think that's the first time I've ever read that statement on this forum!

Cheers, well the reason I found out about Klipsch was from asking around about fat sounding subs. The speakers I use are fat sounding and much in the PA vein and would like something that would go well with these. The subs from the manufacturer of my fullrange speakers, Dynavoice, are -9dB at 25Hz at best. Cool for the kind of music I listen to probably but for movies I need to go well into the low 20s or even lower than that. Hadn't this been the issue, I would probably have bought a BK long ago.

Cool for the kind of music I listen to probably but for movies I need to go well into the low 20s or even lower than that. Hadn't this been the issue,

I don't think any of your listed subs are going to give you anything useful in the 20Hz or below range.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you could build Lilmike's Cinema F-20 , or Bill Fitzmarice's Tuba Home Theater. The only thing better than those is the Danley DST-10.

None of these is a powered sub, but any would do an excellent job for you. I personally have a Tuba HT hooked to my HT room temporarily, and it is better in ULF that the big theaters. This room is about 20' X 14' with 9' ceilings. The rest of that system is

Onkyo TX-DS484 Receiver
55" Samsung LCD TV
Blue Ray with Blockbuster, Netflix, Vudu and Pandora
Bose VCS-100 center
Klipsch KG 4.2's
2 Infinity small 2 ways mounted on ceiling - rears
Tuba Home Theater driven with up to 300 watts

This is a poorly timbre matched system, but I am researching what would match timbre to the KG4.2's.

Thanx!

Hello Solitaire,

I do not know if you've bought your sub yet,
or what your budget is, but I would recommend the Klipsch SW110 or SW112
for your application, both are upto the task of filling your room with
deep clean bass and won't cost alot. Also, don't center on frequency
response as much as what they sound like. If you want a tighter sound,
go with the SW110.If a deeper,fatter sound is desired, then do the
SW112.Although if you can spend it, $999 will get you the Klipsch SW310
which is rated for a bit more power, but gets down lower than the other two.

I hope this post was of help to you, do write back if or when you make your purchase [:D]