Picking a New Receiver

D. Ryan

I've had 10 Onkyos, 5 failed, and they are not a very good match with Klipsch.It is well known for years and webwide they are not music avrs, ok for HT.If you do some research you will find this is a common theme.

Onkyo is known to do a great job with processing HT, but not music. Why have you owned 10 Onkyos if so many have crapped out?

I was suprised to read that someone thought Onkyo amps does not play music very good. When my TX-SR805 HD AVR was not in the shop it did everything Great. To be honest my new Yamaha HD AVR sounds just like the Onkyo in my small den with my old Cornwalls. I also have a 2003 Yamaha RX-V2400 7.1 AVR (no HD or HDMI) and had it hooked back up to the Corns after the 805 quit for the last time and it too played the Corns like the 805. I still have the 2400 for a back up AVR.

• Moderators

My Onkyo 703 was ok for 2ch, great for HT. My HK AVR55 was beautiful for 2ch but did not have the headroom or power the Onkyo did and sounded harsh at high volumes. My current Yamaha is a good balance of both but probably better at HT than 2ch. All three brands I have had absolutely no problems mechanically.

My Onkyo TX SR702 was really good for 2 channel and a notch better for HT.

I got the HK in my siggy and sold the Onkyo.

The HK was just ...... smoother...... more alive. More musical......

With 100wpc the Onkyo was a beast. The HK I have is rated 75wpc (Ibelieve) but.......

The HK can do HT every bit as loud and clear as the Onk; and then some...... (Actually more headroom than the Onkyo had).

And it sounds kick arse for music in 2 channel.

I think Onkyo is great; best bang for buck around...... I would not hesitate to jump on another if the right deal presented itself.

I think HK (although sometimes spotty with durability) makes the finest musical receiver around; but pricey. (Agin; would not hesitate if the right deal came around).....

Yamaha; Marantz; Integra (highest end Onkyo); Pioneer Elite all make really good products. I would be open to trying any of them if the right deal came around.......

OP... Good Luck.

From what I have seen Onkyo units with out HDMI are LONG lasting units. Same with a lot of AVR's before HDMI or HD. My 2003 RX-V2400(non HDMI or HD) has outlasted 2 HD AVR's I have owned. My Marantz was a old school tube Receiver back in the day. :-) Brother has had good service life with Denon. As I stated earler, being retired and home all day now I am really hard on AVR. On 14 hours a day............. installed a 6" fan and opened the rear of cabinet and 6" open top venting space for my AVR . Best thing you can do for any multi amp unit.

I've had 10 Onkyos, 5 failed, and they are not a very good match with Klipsch.It is well known for years and webwide they are not music avrs, ok for HT.If you do some research you will find this is a common theme.

Onkyo is known to do a great job with processing HT, but not music. Why have you owned 10 Onkyos if so many have crapped out?

Good ? they always lure me in with massive bells at dirt cheap prices.The last three though have just been for my garage.I have owned several from long ago, and it's taking me a while to come to the realization they ain't what they used to be.They still offer great bang for the buck but for music or great reliability they fall short.

Hello D.,

I do not know if you've bought you receiver yet, but you might want to look at a Pioneer VSX-32. Yes it sells for $800, but you can usually find it for less (just make sure that the seller is a PIoneer/ Pioneer Elite Authorized Retailer (otherwise your warranty is void) . The onboard amp is quite clean and will let your Klipsch's "open up" . Also , in general my experiences with Onkyo have notbeen good,and currently my observations have been that they have a high rate of failure and that they are quite noisey (they click alot due to the type of relay used in them).

[:D]

Thanks for the input everyone. and Stephen thanks going to go with the 807 good fit for my budget and should put my old avr 520 to shame. should be hear friday so ill start up a new thread on how i like it saturday after some fun with it. Will probly have a few questions for some of the new features.