why the Heritage line has faded?

Heritage_Head

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now a days you have more options for sound reproduction than ever, some much simpler for people. Gone are the days of having to have a receiver and two outboard speakers, in are the days of ipod docks with built in speakers and amp.

Those docks are fine for background music at a party where everyone is talking all the time, but they fall pretty short for actually listening to a musical performance. The thing is, many people no longer get the point of sitting and listening to music, so why would they spend good money on a decent sound system?

SuBXeRo: Speakers in general are a niche, klipsch is a brand in the speaker niche, heritage is the niche of the brand within the speaker niche in the niche of audio options.

That actually seems to be the way things are today.

Maybe people have become too wrapped up with the concept of multi-tasking. "You mean you sat there for hours without checking your email or updating your Facebook status or checking your Twitter feed or trying to gain World of Warcraft points? Sounds like a wasted evening!"

For me, doing these little jobs in order to be busy all the time does not equate with being productive. Producing a happy and contented state of mind is productive, which my sound system helps me to achieve.

Klipsch should do a marketing campaign on "going old school"..............that's what the kids are calling........having big old speakers now.

"Old School" is not a bad term. It's an endearing term to some of the great things that everyone used to want. The Heritage line is not a techno gizmo showing that you have the newest and the best, it's a statement about the presentation of art. It's not a fad or trend, it's a passion, and not everyone will feel compelled to own that passion just as not everyone is compelled to own oil paintings. Even the reference line (which I adore for HT) is showing it's age. No piano black finish, large, deep boxes intruding into your living space w/o elegance, is still not attractive enough for the trend setting iPhone owning techno-geek.

With iPods and Facebook, one doesn't have to have his/her friends over to enjoy music together. You can just send the file over to your friends and they can listen and let you know what they think. Big speakers are meant to be enjoyed in groups in a single location. Current social networking is meant to be enjoyed in groups in multiple locations. Music and pictures are the two medias that are easily shared, and so picture albums and speakers are rare these days (bound books may be on the way out too). Speakers will continue to be a niche market, and with that, WAF will push the Heritage line further into that niche group (as was stated by subxero), with only the most passionate folks wanting a true Hi-Fi/HT experience. My Great Grandparents used to gather around the diner table. My Grandparents around the radio, my parents around the TV. Now people gather around the computer. Who knows whats next, but in our current time the need for great speakers as a showpiece of your home has gone.

Now, what's great about this is that when you do bring someone over they certainly can and do appreciate the grandeuer of the big speakers and the big system! They may not quite understand what all goes in to putting together a beautiful system, but they can surely appreciate beautiful music and theatrical movie productions. Today, if you own a great system, you're not the first kid on the block, you're the only kid on the block! That says something about our appreciation for a great presentation of a paticular art genre! While it may fade in popularity, it will NEVER go out of style.

I just hope that Klipsch can sell enough earbuds and iPod docks to allow them to keep producing the Heritage Series speakers.

After all, it was the K-cars that kept Chrysler in business during a tough spell, and because of those humble vehicles, now we can buy Hemi Chargers and 280hp mini-vans.

If you have the room, and you have the money...you have the Heritage.

I think the op hit it about right.I have more than plenty room and money is no factor(within Klipsch ranges) in my audio choices.

Speaker design 101 is

still used today as it was 50 years ago but there are many things like materials

and technology advancements that have changed the rules. I think it’s just too

easy to say that people don’t care about sound like they used to. I couldn’t disagree more. People are just are

able to find it in other ways. You don’t need to buy Heritage looking speakers

to have amazing sound. When the only speakers on the market had the wide style design

of course that’s what people are going to buy. Look at tvs this is a great

example of progress in technology. Would any anybody on here say that people don’t

care about picture quality like they used to? That’s just silly people want quality

that’s why they got rid of their old square tvs and got hd flat panels. I know that tv advancement is bigger than

speakers but it’s just a great example that people do care. The average home

today will probably have a better cd stereo somewhere in the home than the one

box record player that was in most homes in the 70s. Look at cars they used to

get 10mpg now they make cars that get 50mpg. Do people not care as much as they

used to? No disrespect but that just seems like a copout.

I just hope that Klipsch can sell enough earbuds and iPod docks to allow them to keep producing the Heritage Series speakers.

After all, it was the K-cars that kept Chrysler in business during a tough spell, and because of those humble vehicles, now we can buy Hemi Chargers and 280hp mini-vans.

That's a good point, I love the new Challengers.

• Moderators

I think Heritage will slowly make a comeback, not kids but people a little older are willing to pay more for something that will last, there tired of buying junk that falls apart. Also it seems like decorating is somewhat going to a more practical and usable style. Comfortable well built furniture that will last over looks first and function second.

Who knows, but Heritage sales is up apparently because Hope it building a good bit more now ? I was very surprised at how many heritage was in production in the plant, it was much more than a couple here and there. [Y]

Speaker design 101 is still used today as it was 50 years ago but there are many things like materials and technology advancements that have changed the rules. I think it’s just too easy to say that people don’t care about sound like they used to. I couldn’t disagree more. People are just are able to find it in other ways. You don’t need to buy Heritage looking speakers to have amazing sound. When the only speakers on the market had the wide style design of course that’s what people are going to buy. Look at tvs this is a great example of progress in technology. Would any anybody on here say that people don’t care about picture quality like they used to? That’s just silly people want quality that’s why they got rid of their old square tvs and got hd flat panels. I know that tv advancement is bigger than speakers but it’s just a great example that people do care. The average home today will probably have a better cd stereo somewhere in the home than the one box record player that was in most homes in the 70s. Look at cars they used to get 10mpg now they make cars that get 50mpg. Do people not care as much as they used to? No disrespect but that just seems like a copout.

There are some newer speakers that sound really good. I agree. (Klipsch makes many of them; IE RF7 II).

Comparing this to TVs is apples to oranges. HDTV looks significantly better than any 420p tv. It is obvious to anyone with 20/20 vision......

Anyone with good vision can see this..... SQ is a different can of worms......

Perfect example..... How many people do you know who LOVE their $2000 HDTV, but do not bother to upgrade the sound? (TV sound SUCKS)

I know 3 people; just at work...... They say; "Why bother; I got 1080p"; " I don't need home theater"; I don't care, as long as it looks good"........

Heritage STILL sounds better than many most other new speakers in that price range. (Even the modern looking ones).

As mentioned; it is easier to just connect your earbuds to your phone. Modern (hip) music sounds reasonably close either way.

Boxx's point was right on; Nowadays; no one bothers to sit and listen long enough to appreciate.....

I do not think the original debate was "Reference versus Heritage"; but it could easily transform to that.

The one thing I know is I have family members and friends; everytime they come over and listen to my system; the responses vary from picking their jaws up from the floor to " where can I get those?"

My point was that how you are exposed to accurate music when you are young has something to do with your perception of sound quality (and desire for it) as an adult.....

Speaker design 101 is still used today as it was 50 years ago but there are many things like materials and technology advancements that have changed the rules. I think it’s just too easy to say that people don’t care about sound like they used to. I couldn’t disagree more. People are just are able to find it in other ways. You don’t need to buy Heritage looking speakers to have amazing sound. When the only speakers on the market had the wide style design of course that’s what people are going to buy. Look at tvs this is a great example of progress in technology. Would any anybody on here say that people don’t care about picture quality like they used to? That’s just silly people want quality that’s why they got rid of their old square tvs and got hd flat panels. I know that tv advancement is bigger than speakers but it’s just a great example that people do care. The average home today will probably have a better cd stereo somewhere in the home than the one box record player that was in most homes in the 70s. Look at cars they used to get 10mpg now they make cars that get 50mpg. Do people not care as much as they used to? No disrespect but that just seems like a copout.

I agree that people DO care about quality reproduction, however, fewer people are PAYING for it (Heritage or otherwise).

Problem 1: What's changed is the way in which people share the experience. You don't have to have your friends over to share it. You can do it all from your phone, which you have with you all the time anyway. Now, back in the day, if you had the best system, everyone came over to your house to listen, because it was the best. Now, everyone just downloads it and updates their status (See the "Right this minute" thread). All I'm saying is that fewer people are buying hi-fi systems, which would lend itself to less people buying Heritage.

Problem 2: Speaker orientation has changed from wide to narrow. Why? Because speakers are now part of the HT environment and TVs have gotten wider. You now have less wall space so the narrow design is more appealing. It's about that simple. With the popularity of the tall and narrow, the heritage line has to compete with the much more fashionable B&W and upscale Paradigm towers. There is NO way that I could have put Heritage speakers in my theater. I'd be using a 37" TV and have to sit about six foot from the screen.

Problem 3: The Heritage line was designed to produce a full range of sound in a LARGE space. You don't need (or want) a K-Horn in a 12 X 14 room. While you will likely get more detail, it's just too small, and that is the room that most people are putting their systems in. An RF-7 system is overkill so why spend the extra bucks? If you want to fill a 20 X 30 space with sound, you're going to do much better with some LaScalla's than the 7 ii system.

So, why does Klipsch still produce these? Because nothing (in the price range) will reproduce music in a big space like Heritage! Just try and find a concert venue or movie theater that uses tower speakers. They just don't do the trick.

I agree that people DO care about quality reproduction, however, fewer people are PAYING for it (Heritage or otherwise).

Problem 1: What's changed is the way in which people share the experience. You don't have to have your friends over to share it. You can do it all from your phone, which you have with you all the time anyway. Now, back in the day, if you had the best system, everyone came over to your house to listen, because it was the best. Now, everyone just downloads it and updates their status (See the "Right this minute" thread). All I'm saying is that fewer people are buying hi-fi systems, which would lend itself to less people buying Heritage.

Problem 2: Speaker orientation has changed from wide to narrow. Why? Because speakers are now part of the HT environment and TVs have gotten wider. You now have less wall space so the narrow design is more appealing. It's about that simple. With the popularity of the tall and narrow, the heritage line has to compete with the much more fashionable B&W and upscale Paradigm towers. There is NO way that I could have put Heritage speakers in my theater. I'd be using a 37" TV and have to sit about six foot from the screen.

Problem 3: The Heritage line was designed to produce a full range of sound in a LARGE space. You don't need (or want) a K-Horn in a 12 X 14 room. While you will likely get more detail, it's just too small, and that is the room that most people are putting their systems in. An RF-7 system is overkill so why spend the extra bucks? If you want to fill a 20 X 30 space with sound, you're going to do much better with some LaScalla's than the 7 ii system.

So, why does Klipsch still produce these? Because nothing (in the price range) will reproduce music in a big space like Heritage! Just try and find a concert venue or movie theater that uses tower speakers. They just don't do the trick.

Cornfed.... I completely agree with your points........

The Heritage line is proven over 50+ years......

They would not have survived 5 years if great music reproduction was not the case.....

PWK was a genius.......

No doubt they sound amazing. They just don’t offer a value

for their cost that is equal or greater than the competition. If they did they

would sell them in stores and not just to people that have a sentimental

attachment for the old klipsch speakers (they would also sell for more than 1/8th

the cost on used market). Music is the same way, we all like the music we like

but to say that it’s better because it’s your favorite would be misplaced. Yes tvs

and speakers are apples and oranges but the idea is that people aren’t satisfied

with their movie playing cell phones and iPods! They want a big screen hd tv on

the wall that looks amazing. Just because the way we listen to music has

changed doesn’t mean people don’t like music as much. Yes 20 years ago we

bought an album and played it over and over because it was all we had. So we

became attached to the band, music, and the speakers we played it on. Now we

can download a thousand different songs online in 5min and not even know what

band is playing. Look at car audio now vs the 70s it’s night and day not even

close in sound quilty like hd vs non hd in comparison. My point is people DO care

just as much about sound as ever. Below is a link to blu ray.com community. Look

at these set ups!! And tell them that they don’t care as much about sound as

you. What I’m hearing is a basic “kids these days don’t know anything” (about

sound) which is absolutely 100% bs!

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/

I didn't end up with LaScalas because of a sentimental attachment to old speakers. I ended up with them precisely for one of cornfed's points. Nothing filled my large room like them! Add to that the value of the used market. I don't know if there are ANY options for the $1400 I spent on three LaScala that could give me what they do? Certainly nothing new, and likely a small handful of used.

Guys I’m honestly a little

surprised that so many longtime members on here have posted that people don’t care

as much about sound as a big part of the reason that klipsch Heritage has faded.

If I have learned anything on these forums

(avs ,blu ray.com, ect) is that people

care a lot. Why else would they even waste their time on here? In the 60s and

70s if you wanted hi end sound you had to buy those kinds of speakers. Biggest

difference now is you don’t.

I didn't end up with LaScalas because of a sentimental attachment to old speakers. I ended up with them precisely for one of cornfed's points. Nothing filled my large room like them! Add to that the value of the used market. I don't know if there are ANY options for the $1400 I spent on three LaScala that could give me what they do? Certainly nothing new, and likely a small handful of used.

Ditto. When it comes to large spaces, the La Scala not only fills them, but does it accurately. As many of you know, I run six La Scalas in my 50,000 cu ft shop. I was at my son's graduation the other day and couldn't hear the garbled commencement speaches because of crappy PA speakers. Oh how I wish they had anything remotely as good as a La Scala hanging up there!

Tony you have an amazing set up and no doubt put a ton of

time and work into it. And for your behind the screen set up it’s a perfect

match. I wouldn’t be able to pull off

the center speaker but if I had your set up I’m sure I would be 100% satisfied.

My comment about sentimental attachment isn’t meant to mean in every case. I also

agree on the used market they are some of the great value speakers of all time.

Your front row new would run (3) $9,000 would you have paid that? And if you didn’t

would it be because you don’t care about sound as much as someone who paid 2k

for them 20 years ago?