1988 La Scalas

jtinc

I was at the PX in Ramstein Germany in 1988 When i heard some tchaikovski playing outside. I told my girlfriend that they must have set up an orchestra, while we were shopping, and that I was going to stay and listen. Imagine my surprise when i found out it was 1 set of speakers. La Scalas to be presice. I was in total awe. I knew I Had to have them, so the next day I made the trip from North Point to the PX to pick up my new best friends. I got them back to the Barracks, and me and my buddy Pat went to work setting them up. I already had my Onkyo M-508 Grand Integra amplifier P-308 preamp Teac R-888X cassette player Kenwood GE-1100 EQ, and my Bose 901's with EQ. We added the klipsch to the mix. You want to talk about a loud room! Unfortunately the sound did not mix well. This was long before i knew of break in periods, and placement. We worked for days with the La Scalas but could not come close to the sound i had heard at the PX, so back they went. I realise now the room was to small, and the placement was terrible, but whats a man to do with such limited space. I still had a great system and was happy.

When i was in Mannheim a guy who lived down the Hall had what i am sure were heresy II's. I was upset beacause i thought his speakers sounded better than my 901's. Not as loud, but loud enough. His speakers appeared to sound warmer, and had a richer fuller sound. Does that make sense? Those little speakers rocked. I never let him know that. I was in denial. He was using a carver amp with the same Kenwood GE-1100 EQ i had.

Flash forward 2011.

something got me thinking of those speakers i heard at the PX back in 88. I could not remember Which KLipsch they were, but i remembered what they looked like, and the beautiful sound they produced that sunny day. I got on the computer and saw my old friends the La Scalas. This was 2 moths ago. In the last 2 weeks i have bought one pair of 75 Cornwalls, and 1 set of 81 cornwalls. and might be picking up a set of La Scalas early 80's this week. i only have the 75's hooked up now, and am having a dickens of a time with them. When i listen to Kenny G, Marrion medows. fourplay, and music similar, they sound great. Classical is very good but not great. Rock is kind of dissapointing. They lack that richer, warmer, fuller sound that i remember from the Heresy II's. They are spaced close to 6 ft apart. I have tile floor but the speakers sit on carpet pads They are being pushed with a Onkyo TX-sr603x AV reciever with a Sony CDP-CE 500 CD player. These speakers sound crisp, and clean at all volume levels, but not right. I can not move them to a different location. All i can do is move them closer or further from the wall. TO me they sound best closer to the walls.

I still know little of stereos, but i will know the sound i am looking for when i hear it. my bose 10.2's sound better at this time and My Omnis the best. I know my Cornwalls should sound the best. Besides getting a new amp, any suggestions. I would prefer to keep these, But if necessary i will sell my 2 sets of Cornwalls' and buy the Heresy III's. I knoww if i had better placement opportunities That would help, but i have what i have

How would my Cornwall 1's not updated compare to the Heresy III's? Thankyou for you quick responses. My ears aint gettin no younger

• Moderators

Welcome

Something to think about also is you heard them outside where there are no walls or anything to bounce off of which affects the sound. I think LaScalas sound great outside, I think they sound the best outside, it's like the perfect room, nothing changing the sound.

" How would my Cornwall 1's not updated compare to the Heresy III's? Thankyou for you quick responses. My ears aint gettin no younger "

It would still be a heresy VS Cornwall so less bass for the Heresy and a probably a little more live or crisp sound, new crossovers and newer mid and high titanium drivers. But new or updated caps/crossovers in the Cornwall should make that closer, added with the extra bass from the Cornwall.

The Heresy lll is the best version yet by far, but still not the bass of a Cornwall, Heresy lll and a sub would work good.

IMO

If I were you I would get the Lascalas, sell a few things and get a nice musical sub, which could go with any speaker that needs a little help with the bass when set correctly.

Get the LaScalas, [:D] if you can, you will probably sell off a pair of Cornwalls or more after that.