My last Cornscala/Speaker for a bit... Cornscala Build on Steriods.

If

any of you have read some of my previous posts, you can see that I enjoy build

Klipsch inspired speakers.

1 mistake I always seem to make is wanting to build the cabs just

a bit bigger and then coming to my senses and adding material to get the cab

back to the correct volume.

So

far I have built, a pair of single cab Cornscalas (All sourced from Bob Crites

(K55, PH-800 horn, Ct125 tweeter, Bobs 15" Woofers, and his Crossover)). 1

Pair of rehabbed Heresy's (New Crites crossover, and 12" woofers, APT50

tweeters, 1 pair of Split La Scalas (New everything from Crites... again :-). 1

pair of CS-1s Parts from Bob, and what I thought were my last speakers, my

Split Cornscalas (K401/K55 Selenuim 220ti/HM17-25, Eminence 15C woofers and

Bobs crossovers. During the last several years, this has been my hobby and how I’ve

spent my free time... listening to music in the middle of night, etc. Part of

the hobby has been the continuous learning process. All these builds resulted

in a bunch of speakers sold for 50cent on the dollar as finding the right buyer

can be hard. As a result I didn’t get to keep all my creations but held on to

the cornscalas as they were the most pleasing to me.

About

a year ago I began to lust after Bob's part list for the Selenuim based 3way…

using the massive D405 driver. Shortly after the discovery of the HF200 I saw

Dave Harris’ Eliptrac horns and fell in love, but couldn’t justify the costs. 2 save cash I tried the HF200 with the JBL2380

as a 2way and they just didn’t have the same luster my split cornscala’s had.

(I built the 2way into a separate top hat and was able to A vs B the 2

speakers. Some parts left to fund my expansion, and I got the Eliptrac 400 and

Dave was kind enough to graft into my existing 2way cab. As a 2way (HF200/ Eliptrac

400 1st order crossover @500hz.) I still was not in love the Eliptrac

400 was a significant improvement and yes I knew I could live with it, but this

was to be my last speaker for a while. So I was left with the 3way top-hats in

the closet, easting up serious space… I was unwilling to sell and lose more

money, and I had the Eliptrac 400 that were a serious improvement, but I missed

the 3way sound. What to do?

I

did some more reading from Dave and ALK and started thinking about space and my

existing investment., and what I could afford for floor space. I knew I didn’t have

the time to build another set of cornscala’s from scratch. Having seen Dave’s

work, I asked if he would build me a set of narrow Scala 3ways with his horn. Dave said he couldn’t due to time constraints,

but that he has a Split Cornscala cabinet empty and needing a good home. (Now

Id have a Harris build speaker!).

This

Split Cornscala was the initial work of another forum member and the craftsmanship

shows. In speaking with ALK I became interested in the ES5800 network and the

possibility of 2way/3way on the fly operation. So we are using ALK’s AP12-500

for a gentle slope and the ES5800 for the 3way operation. I hope ALK or Dave

can chime in on the work… I got to be the recipient!. There is a switch on the back that allows for

toggling between 2way and 3 way operation. Dave’s cornscala is a show piece of what’s

possible, his Eliptrac 400/Faital HF200, his Conical tweeter lens for the

Selenuim 200ti and the Eminence 15C. All

these parts kick *** on their own, but together became my last speaker.

When

run against my 3 way split cornscala’s (K401/k55, Selenuim

220ti/HM17-25 I found my beloved speakers sounding honky/ and rough in the top

end. Im not seriously wondering how to make adjustments. (Im not great at

describing speakers… Long story, short… these seemed right. The mid bass, mids

and highs were so accurate. I like the bass from my splits better, but that’s a

question on cabinet build choices… My bins should never have been made… 3x

thicker than they should be… mad as a mistake… though a good sounding one.

Needless to say, my last speaker is my favorite speaker.

post-39161-13819658377628_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest David H

Jorjen built the orignal cabs, and did a great job. Everything was square, good quality ply, and precise cuts.

I have to say this build was rewarding, I found Justins choice of parts work amazing together, and I would reccomend them again.

Woofers: Eminence 15C, This is the fist time I had heard this woofer and am still surprised at the sound quality. I had intentionally steered away from this driver in the past, due to its low cost and modist spec's.

Mid driver: Faital Pro HF-200, I am not a bit surprised at the quality of this driver. Faital builds a quality driver.

Tweeter, Selenium D220ti: The Selenium HF driver, like the Faital drivers have become a well known product here on the forums. When Justin showed up with this driver and Baby cheeks lens, I thought it was a great choice. I am not sure why I showed him my Circletrac lens, but it found it's way from a box to Justin's hands in a matter of minutes.. Next thing you know he had shipped me a pair of bolt on D-220's so I could A/B the different lenses, and although I thought I wouldn't be able to hear and audible improvement, I agreed to test both. To my surprise, the lens's sounded very different, and Justin and I both prefered the sound of the Tractrix.

The final piece of the puzzle was a no brainer, a switchable 2/3 way ALK AP12-500/ES5800 (DROOL)

Nearing the end of the build, I got a taste of this speakers performance. Using a T-Amp and an IPOD I ran these speakers through the paces, tweaked the crossovers by ear to get them close, then grabed measurment tools. I was fairly close by ear, tweeter was one tap high, and mid was a bit low.

When Justin came to pickup is new treasures a hearing test was performed. I decided to power the speakers with a Decware SE-84-C amp, next I set the tweeters 2 db too high, and switched one of them into 2-way operation. First let me tell you Justin has good ears, he picked out the lack of tweeter on the right side instantly, then asked if I could bring the tweeters back a few db. Seems I didn't need an FFT at all, Justins ears would have been fine.

Next we did some 2/3way comparisons, although both sounded great, the 3-way added some extra shimmer and what is best describes as a larger sound stage. Either way the combination of drivers horns and crossovers is a winner.

Dave

Very interesting thread this one. I'm very close to building myself a pair of Cornscalas and I have all the parts at hand, just not the time to build them yet. I have a pair of Eliptrac 400's and Faital HF200 and and ALK AP12-500 crossovers, also the Crites woofers. I've also got an existing pair of Cornscalas I built for my dad which I'm going to veneer before handing them over which are 3-ways with Selenium D405 and D220ti drivers with Selenium horns and Bob's crossover so lots of options to play around with!

Dave, the conical tweeter horn looks very interesting! How long have you had this for and what is the cost? Also, much difference between the Eminence and Crites woofers? Would a cheaper ALK mid to tweeter crossover change the sound much?

Justin, why the switch for selectable 2 or 3 way operation - does 2 way or 3 way suit some music better?

Right now, I'm running the AP12-500 and Faital drivers with Selenium 4750 horn in the existing Cornscala as a 2-way and like what I hear but I'm yet to try the Eliptrac. The 3-ways sound great and the 2 ways as well though maybe not as big a sound stage but more detail perhaps. I shall switch back to the all Selenium 3-way and that should clarify the differences as I've been running it as a 2-way for a few weeks now. So many choices, all good it would seem.

John

Welcome John!

You are perhaps using Safari on a Mac?

You will probably have to manually put in line breaks by adding the html code as you type, if you want the breaks to show. When you want a break, just put in a < (less than symbol), a 'p', and a > (greater than symbol). A bit annoying, but after you type one in you can just do a copy/paste to do the others.

Bruce

Quote: 'I like the bass from my splits better, but that’s a
question on cabinet build choices… My bins should never have been made… 3x
thicker than they should be… mad as a mistake… though a good sounding one.'

Just a suggestion if your cabinet volume is on the small side as a result of the thicker wall build but your port dimensions are correct for the standard size volume then you can add some damping to the cabinet to adjust. That might just get your bass tunning right again.

Your new cabinets look great and I am sure that you will be very pleased with these for a long time to come. Just so long that is if you have not been bitten by the bug. Looks like you have a very special reference on your hands. Play them every day and enjoy. Best regards Moray james.

The 2way/3way swtich was for both use with different types of music and verification. If you have the ES Network + AP then the switch is an easy add in.

The extra parts for the 3way I would say were not needed unless you want to get the last 5%. I wanted to try everything I could in one package and then stop build for a while... This was the result. Going 3 way was addative to the top end shimmer (forwardness). Without it seemed more relaxed. Dave's tweeter lens/horn was a serious addition. All the parts came together well and produced a cohesive whole.

Not in the last pic, is my 100% Bob Crites sourced Cornscala. I have to say, each is different but I would take any of my 3 pairs happily, the last pair more happily than the others :-). The PH800 is an improvement over the K401 for sure. Dave’s horn beats them all. The Cornscala lets builders go from mild to wild. We have choice of crossovers, drivers and horns at any price point... Sort become the Dynaco ST70 of speakers.

Not in the last pic, is my 100% Bob Crites sourced Cornscala. I have to say, each is different but I would take any of my 3 pairs happily, the last pair more happily than the others :-). The PH800 is an improvement over the K401 for sure. Dave’s horn beats them all. The Cornscala lets builders go from mild to wild. We have choice of crossovers, drivers and horns at any price point... Sort become the Dynaco ST70 of speakers.

"The Cornscala lets builders go from mild to wild."

.........and then there is the Cornscala DBB..........