My last Cornscala/Speaker for a bit... Cornscala Build on Steriods.

This is a question for all the builders of "Cornscala's".

It seems that based on specs, most of the 15" drivers used would benefit from the extra space afforded if they did not split the cabinet and the upper cabinet volume was used to provide much better bass extension.

The question is "why doesn't anyone (or maybe few) use the upper cabinet volume"? Is there better upper bass response that would not be gained from utilizing the extra few cubic feet?

When Ive built splits, Ive made sure that my Cab vol matches pretty closly to that of the ~6.5cu ft. that the CW used. Where single cab or split the vol needs to be close to the same for the port and shelf config we all use.

OK, so while most people are not using k-33 woofers in their builds, how is anyone optimising the cabinet for their particular woofer? Seems like many woofers, including Crites CW1526C, could handle more breathing room that the top section of splits could provide, thus giving better bass extension or better response.

It would be interesting to look at a number of the woofers used in these builds and find out what the actual optimal cabinet volume would be for the driver.

Eminence has some great software for designing speaker cabs.

My top cabs are 24"x24"x14" in general. The additional volume would provide no back preside for the woofer. A bit bigger I could see. Eminence has the 15c has a vas of 6.2 to 7.8 cu ft but I believe change the vol greatly will change the response,etc... I'm sure much smarter minds can share the sic behind it. I would love to see measurements of my 3 types of cabs, each with slightly diff vol and then see the same driver with smaller and bigger cabs remeasured.

There are a number of applications that will show the theoretical curve for each of the T/S params on the drivers used in these ~6cf boxes. Since many of the drivers are different I was just wondering why everyone sticks to same approx. size. To me if you build it yourself, you optimise the box/woofer combo since you are not shipping it. Building a speaker at home doesn't give you the same restrictions as a manufacturer has because of shipping costs.

I'm wondering if using the Faital HF200 as part of a 3-way would mean that you could use it up to about 9000Hz then crossover to a Faital tweeter, say the HF104 with the Faital STH100 elliptical tweeter horn. ALK makes a 9000Hz crossover though I've no idea if it could be used as I've described here. I like the idea of a combined 2 and 3-way.

Yes it is but I'm not sure if it could be used with the Faital or maybe it could with minor tweaking, would have to check with ALK. I'm pretty sure that crossover was designed before the existence of the Faital driver was known about as not many mid range drivers can go that high so generally no need for such a design in most cases however I would love to try the elliptical Faital tweeter horn and driver in conjunction with the Elliptrac 400/HF200. On paper, that looks like an interesting combination. One of the Faital 1" tweeters has a pretty flat response above 10000Hz so it could work really well - just a theory at this stage though!

pzannucci, I've built my box at 10 cubic ft. and wanted to keep it that size with the eminence woofer but after talking with eminence about this, I have it split chamber to leave the woofer with 6.285 cublic ft. A larger box increases the group delay and cone excersion as put to me by eminence and that is what you have to watch out for, after eminence pointed this out and looking at the software graphs I can see how it does do this. I'm keeping the crossovers more simple with the 1st order so I'll have to use the smaller 6.2 cu.ft. enclosure. So even though the woofer can do 10 cublic ft., it seems it increases other things if not corrected and I don't have the expertise to correct the nasties!

Mr Z, The idea for the Cornscala was probably hatched by Bob Crites, that of marrying two older Klipsch designs into one cohesive whole.

The questions you ask would be more valid if these people were a bunch of random hobbyist speaker builders. Each builder could probably set out to do that, design and build original works, but the bass bin design is Mr Klipsch's, from a Klipsch Cornwall, and that is why most are the same size, or at least very close.

Some are theoretically deep, some clueless (more or less), and we all share and learn from one another, and welcome various points of view. Some have budgetary constraints, some spend to the hilt, and all enjoy their Paul Klipsch design-inspired Cornscala Hi Fi/Stereo speakers.

I hope this helps solve the mystery

There are a number of applications that will show the theoretical curve for each of the T/S params on the drivers used in these ~6cf boxes. Since many of the drivers are different I was just wondering why everyone sticks to same approx. size. To me if you build it yourself, you optimise the box/woofer combo since you are not shipping it. Building a speaker at home doesn't give you the same restrictions as a manufacturer has because of shipping costs.

bigrfish, SkyDover,

Thank you for your responses.

The key to my questions about size and volume are really only due to the fact that a lot of folks call their speakers CornScala though there is such a variance of parts and woofers though everyone uses the same approx size bass enclosures. More of a question for raised awareness that once you get past being able to build a box, that half the fun is tweaking it. The downside is that it costs more money and can take a lot of time to eak the last 20% from a design.

I guess the 80/20 rule applies here.

It's probably better to just sit and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest David H

Dave, are the tweeters you used on the Cornscala's the ones I saw on your site?

And what is up with the new speaker? http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id116.html

Craig 73

You would know the answer if you would stop by once in a while. Yes the tweeters are the same, however I made s few mods for sealed box mounting.

The speakers are prototypes. However due to this forums self appointed moderators, the specifics of this project will have to take place elsewhere.

Dave

Guest David H

The speakers are prototypes. However due to this forums self appointed moderators, the specifics of this project will have to take place elsewhere.

What? I thought your were sharing the plans for this speaker anyway.

Heck with that, I say you post.

Craig.

I see you alredy started a thread on the Drift.

Yes all of the plans for the Drift are posted on my site.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Did you use the Kappa 15C? Are they similar to the Crites Cast? And how wide are these cabinets?

I am still stuck between doing a few different designs because of my limited space I have. One part of me wants to build a simiar build or DBB but the other side of me wants maybe something smaller. AAARRRGGGHHHH decisions.

I think Bob has 2 woofers, each a bit different.

I have used Bob's woofers before and liked the results. On this buidl I went with the Kappa 15C. I think the Kappa 15C is one of the only 4ohms around other than Bobs. Im really happy with the results. The Cabs are 24" Cubed. Building split cornscala's is a definite commitment. You might consider single cab.... all the good, smaller cab.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sort of limited to about 22-23" width. I could always stack my cabinet on top of my sub but that would make the sub/cabinet 48" high before I even put the midrange and highs on top.:(

Has anyone ever done a 12" version of this? Maybe a dual Bob Crites 12" Cornscalla.

The main thing I have been after is tactile accurate bass. I haven't been able to listen to most of the Klipsch range of speakers except an old pair of Khorns along time ago. Last thing I heard that had the type of bass I liked was a bass bin with a pair of JBL 18" tuned to around 42hz. That had effortless bass that when listening to my Tchaikovsky 1812 track when the canons were going off you felt it in your chest, pants and every where else.

Now I dont have the cash or room for dual 18" JBL cabs or Jubilee bass bins. SO thats why I am wondering what design should I look at in regards to the Klipsch family that could provide me with similar bass that I like?

I realize I dont need dual 18's but do want the tactile bass from my next build.