Why was Ifi discontinued? And Q on reliability.

I recently bought a used Ifi system. I was wondering, why was the I-fi discontinued? It was a good system for the price. Was it just too expensive for the market?

Is it possible it didn't sell well because it was marketed as an Ipod system? It's really more of a computer-speaker configuration than anything else. That's how I use them. Bose sells computer speakers for a similar price. The Ipod market is probably looking for smaller, portable speakers.

Also, does anyone have hard data on the failure rates of these? It seems half the ads out there are selling the satellites from systems with failed amps. Of course, you could argue this means it's so good that nobody will sell it unless it breaks. I'm concerned about the longevity of the system, especially since I was planning on using it for computer speakers which would be turned on much of them time. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to buy another I-fi to keep as a spare or for spare parts

When they do break, can they be fixed at a reasonable price? (Less than buying another used set.)

Does anybody currently make computer speakers this good anymore, at a reasonable price?

I think these fall in the same category as the Promedia Ultra 5.1s; regarding failure rate.

(I believe that is why they were eventually discontinued).

The price was ~$300 if I remember correctly; but as you mentioned; not quite as portable as a Blowse sounddock.

I was considering an I-Fi for a Xmas gift (mint condition used for $100) but I opted for a set of KG 2s for about the same price.

(I had concerns about failure also).

I think there are places that can repair the amp; others with more info will (hopefully) chime in.

Klipsch still makes PM 2.1s that are still excellent for $150 shipped from Klipsch.

(The I-fi is better sounding; but the PM 2.1s are still excellent for what they are).

Good Luck.

• Moderators

It had nothing to do with quality, the iFi was/is a fantastic system. One of the best we made in it's niche.

Was it just too expensive for the market?

Bingo. There wasn't too much acceptance for hi-end iPod docks when it came out. It was before it's time, really.

Does anybody currently make computer speakers this good anymore, at a reasonable price?

Our ProMedia 2.1 are going on 11 years old, and still doing great. We sell them directly on Klipsch.com, if you're interested!