Just Got RF7-IIs & Need Amp and Receiver Advice

kmaudk

Large room. Mainly use my HT for TV/Movies but want a great music setup too. Using a Denon 3808 but need advice on two things: 1) Adding an amplifier for less than $1000 and 2) Updating my AV Receiver.

I am happy with the Denon and am leaning toward the new 3812. I know nothing about amps. Please help a sister out! Thanks!

keep the 3808 and buy an emotiva xpa-5 while they are on sale. Or else sell the 3808 and get a processor to go along with the amplifier. Congrats on the rf-7ii i love mine

+1

Your Denon processor ought to work great. Go to emotiva.com and buy the XPA-5 (200 watts X 5 channels) for $800.00. You won't find a better amp for the price! Congrats on the new speakers!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. There are many satisfied users of Emotiva amps. They seem to make a great product and an even better price point. Just for reference, I spent $750 for my Parasound 220w x 5. It was used and 10 years old when I bought it a few years ago. I would jump on the XPA-5. B&K, Parasound, Sunfire are all excellent amps...but you are going to spend MUCH more on them than what Emotiva is offering. Another option is Outlaw Audio.

i have the rf7ii's and just added the xpa5 to my tx-nr905 and must say that i am

a very happy camper. it makes a big difference. there is a presence in movies that

i feel i akin to sound i hear in really good cinemas.

music is clean and punchy, movies are dynamic and more alive now.

a very nice bonus is that i can even listen at lower levels and can hear dialog without

having to move the volume up and down to not disturb neighbors.

great bang for the buck right now that the xpa5 is on sale at emotiva.

Thanks for all the advice guys! My home theater architect talked to his Klipsch rep who recommended the Parasound 2250 which I can pick up for $900. However, it sounds like you all are bigger fans of the Emotiva which would also be a 5 channel amp instead of a 2 channel amp. That would be better for watching movies and tv in surround sound, yes?

Thanks again!

Parasound makes great amps, and if price isn't part of the decision, then yeah, I'd get the parasound. Living in the real world, however, the Emotiva amp is just too cheap to pass up for the performance it delivers! Emotiva isn't going to have a rep as they deal in on-line sales exclusively. That's one of the ways they keep cost down.

• Moderators

My Parasound is 10 years old and has performed flawlessly for me so far. Built like a tank and weighs 85 lbs. With that said, you would be spending $900 plus tax for a 2 channel amp when you could get a 5 channel emotiva amp for less and have equal power to 5 speakers. My vote would be for the 5 channel amp. You won't hear the difference between a 200 and a 250 watt amp.

I ordered the Emotiva this morning. I will post back when I get it and set it up. Thanks for the advice all!

Please do as I have been following this thread and considering buying a pair of 7II's after hearing them at the pilgrimage this year. So logically I will need to know which direction to look towards for an amp and AVR.

Obviously u will b directed towards an xpa-5 on this forum (just ordered one myself). Avr I suggest onkyo. I love their OSD and the entire operating system. Accessories4less carries factory. Refurbished units from onkyo and marantz for a fraction of msrp and they come with a 1 year warranty.

• 5 weeks later...