What about a nice tube preamp kit? Maybe one based on the 6H30?

I also found these guys.

http://www.sonofield.com/KITS/kits-init.htm

I was just thinking it might be a fun project to build a nice tube pre. But I don't know the good kits from the bad.

JL before purchasing that 6H30 designed preamp I'd suggest you write them and ask how the single 6H30 in each channel is implemented in the design. The 6H30 is a dual triode (two tubes in one envelop). It's hard to tell from the pictures. If they do not want to tell you in detail then simply ask them if the preamp "inverts the signal" and I'll know from the response and the various specs they list what they did. If they come back with the right answers then I say it is the preamp to have out of the two listed in this thread.

PS my opinion once I have the details will not change with the tubes4hifi suggestion thrown in the mix... The 6h30 or 6DJ8 from an electrical/Sonic standpoint is about the best readily available tube to use in a preamp when properly implememented. The 6DJ8 from a sonic standpoint is actually better but with it comes the insane problem with the market flooded with noisy used examples advertised as good that you have to weed through to get the sound it's capable of giving you. So the 6H30 is a much more headache free choice that will give you great performance.

They are using half the tube as a voltage amplifier and the other for a cathode follower output for low impedance output (drive very long cable runs and what not). It will be none inverting. It's not how I would prefer to run the tube but still respectable and the price is right. I say if you find no other 6H30 kit option why not give it a whirl. You could always change it later fairly easily in a point to point wiring arrangement. Of course do your home work and make sure the business is reputable.

JL,

If you go ahead with this 6H30 preamp feel free to send me the schematic with the values listed that should come with the kit. I'll cook up some upgrades before you even heat up the soldering iron. With a $500 price tag it surely has plenty of room for improvement. Much easier and cheaper to do it as your building it then after the fact.

Yes, that is a good looking kit! The extended version looks nice too. I'm gonna have to study up on that one. I take it you like yours?

I just heard back from the 6H30 kit folks, they said:

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

6H30 is recently developed double triod tube. The sound is very clear and so many persons like this sound.

Do not worry about the signal amplification, the amplification is enough.

Please refer the Circuit on Modules-Line Level Module(P6-30AS) in homepage.

Thank you,

Sonofield.

I did hear back from the guy but I have concerns about that co. I have not found any reference to somebody building that kit on any forum. I would really like to try it but I don't want to flush 500 either. I'm gonna email them back and see if they will take Paypal.

I took the address for the company and searched that on the internet and I got back this:

Looks like a home address in Canada per the birds eye view on that map. I dunno.

http://www.canada411.ca/res/9055028833/Hun-Jai-Bae/140561430.html

When I asked about taking Paypal I got the message below. If I send this guy a check and I don't get a kit where am I at then? I'm gessing SOL! LOL.

Hi,

Sorry, we do not take Paypal, however, you can just send your personal check to us if you live in Canada or U.S.A..

What is your power amplifier? 6H30 pre-amplifier is very well maching with tube and transistor amplifiers.

If you want to order, please inform us your address and phone No. for shipping.

Thank you so much,

Sonofield

JL,

It's really too bad they are not replying....

Here is a good read on the basic circuit topology they use in that 6H30 design

http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2002/SRPP_Deconstructed/index.html

Yes that was a good read about it. This especially:

In sum, the SRPP
circuit has its uses, but those uses are limited. Where money and space
allow, better more complicated circuits can be used to better effect
than the SRPP; but where dirty and cheap are needed and where the load
impedance is fixed and purely resistive, the SRPP is a good choice.

When I asked about taking Paypal I got the message below. If I send this guy a check and I don't get a kit where am I at then? I'm gessing SOL! LOL.

Hi,

Sorry, we do not take Paypal, however, you can just send your personal check to us if you live in Canada or U.S.A..

What is your power amplifier? 6H30 pre-amplifier is very well maching with tube and transistor amplifiers.

If you want to order, please inform us your address and phone No. for shipping.

Thank you so much,

Sonofield

Well here is what I would do...I seriously doubt this is a rip off but just to be safe. Use a Postal Money order...and send it via the post office with delivery confirmation. If they do not produce the goods they have commited Postal Fraud which is a federal offense and of course our relationship with Canada is very solid.

From the chinglish writing I would venture to say this is a Chinese guy/gal leaving in Canada. Dishonesty is not a normal trait among the Chinese people especially the working class. They like to build things lets say affordable but I've never noticed out and out scams from my dealings with Chinese people.