Need replacement woofers for 4.1 promedia sub...

NoDowt

Hi all,

My much loved 4.1 promedia's are finally starting to show their age (bout 6-7 years) and one of the woofers in the sub has started rattling/distorting very badly.

Does anyone know where I can get either official replacement 6.5" woofers, or matching spec'd aftermarket woofers? Or do you know the specs of the original woofers so I can try to find a match?

I'm I Australia, so somewhere local, or atleast offering international shipping will be needed...

cheers!

Jay

Is the woofer surround damaged; or is the woofer itself damaged?

(You could replace the surround if that is the issue).

You should be able to remove the screen and then the woofer to inspect it thoroughly.

MY PM 2.1s are almost 8 years old, and also have seen better days.

My sub started to rattle, but it is actually the port tube coming loose. (I used some 2 part epoxy and all is quiet again).

As for matching specced woofers, I'd have a look at parts express.com....

Good Luck.

Will check it out better on the weekend, but pretty sure I can hear the distored sound from the left woofer rather than anything else... could be broken foam surround etc...

Still, would be nice to know the spec's on the standard woofers to track down a close match for swap out... Or atleast what the amp can handle (may be tempted to build a new subwoofer enclosure etc...)

Havent opened up the sub enclosure yet, but based off this old thread, http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/2456.aspx?PageIndex=1 I'd have to guess that the drivers in the sub are rated at 4ohm each & wired in parallel (so a 2ohm load, hence the 1.8ohm testing)?

That'd cover building a new enclosure to suite new drivers...

However doesn't really help with replacement drivers in the standard enclosure... Without calculating the details of the enclosure (i.e. volume, port tuning etc) ya can't really do a swap with any ol' 4ohm driver & expect good results. Different speakers are designed for different enclosure volumes, sealed vs ported etc... So having actual specs of the standard speakers would be awesome...

It does look like 4 ohm drivers.

Your point is taken, but;

I was suggesting to look on parts express or simply speakers for 4 ohm subs in the correct diameter that is designed for a small ported enclosure.

You should be able to find something close.

The better option is to call Klipsch and see if:

A. They sell a replacement.

(If not)

B. Get the specs from them.

• 4 weeks later...

As i'm in australia is makes it a bit difficult to contact them on the phone. I've emailed them but got no response.

I may end up just scrapping these & buying a new set of speakers. Alot less effort... but a shame as I love the sound of these.

• 7 years later...

Although this thread is old I'm gonna post the solution that worked for me, b/c eventually others will encounter this same problem.

I had exactly the same issue as the OP and yes indeed it was the foam surround that had gone bad.

I located a speaker seller who sells surrounds, got the correct surrounds for the sub tweeters and glued in the new surrounds.

Easy total fix -- just like new!

Edited by smyzk
clarify