BBQ/Smoker ???

oscarsear

Dtel, we cook pork Boston butts all the time for pulling.

Out here In Los Angeles Laker territory, we kick Boston Butt around a basketball court.

At least until the Dallas Mavericks get their brooms out. Wink

LOL...

Out here In Los Angeles Laker territory, we kick Boston Butt around a basketball court.

LOL...
that wasn't funny [:$] i'd almost forgot about that.

LOL...
that wasn't funny Embarrassed i'd almost forgot about that.
At least it was for a moment or two......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Did my first BB today, 10.04 pounds, it just came off at 193 and I wrapped it in foil, it was falling apart, shouldn't be hard to pull apart.

I used some red pepper, onion and garlic powder, yellow mustard with some rub I made that had some brown sugar and a pile of other spices. then covered it in creole spicy brown mustard and added some more spices on top of that. [:P] Should have some flavor. [Y]

This is a pic at 177 degrees internal.

20110810_0637.jpg

• Moderators

Did some ribs a few day ago, they came out good for my first try, a dry rub and no sauce. The red is not raw, i smoked them for 6 hours at low temp, they came out juicy. Try something different next time.

20110806_0633.jpg?t=1312698570

• Moderators

My daughter was who pulled the butt apart, and she does not like anything even slightly burned looking but she loved the taste of the outside, I was surprised.

What I like so much besides the smoke flavor is the outside looks almost like charcoal but does NOT taste burned at all, just great flavor. Everyone loved it.

I never did the jalepenos before, I had a bush with about 25 ready so since the smoker was going I tried them. I just stuffed them with some seasoned ground turkey then wrapped with Turkey bacon. It's not the real thing but I really need to lose more weight so it's Turkey for now. They are hot, I have to slice them and eat a little at a time. They may be so hot because they were growing 30 minutes before they were on the grill, real fresh ?

I have to say the first few bigger pieces of meat I smoked was scary, it's looks burned to a crisp [:o] but taste nothing like it looks, starting to get addicted to the bark, can't help it. [:$]

I love my speakers but this is just as addicting and it taste great, don't think I can kick this habit. [:S]

• Moderators

I guess so, that bark is like pig candy, [:P] if it wouldn't be dry I would love to slice up something and make all bark but it would probably end up dried up like jerky. Might work, worth a try ?

Dtel, here are a few links for you. I do this with stuffed pork tenderloins and stuffed pork roasts. I like to buy a pork rib roast and debone it myself, that way I get a roast to stuff and 6 or so spare ribs. [:P] I make a cut into the longer end usually about a third of the height of the deboned meat. When I get within 3/4 of an inch of the other end, I turn the roast over and cut back towards the part I just cut through. The goal is to cut the remaining piece in half and when you are done if will roll out like a jellyroll. The inside can be stuffed and then tied together as illustrated in the following videos and instructions. At this point it can either be smoked or cooked on the bbq or in the oven until it is ready. http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/tying-roasts/detail.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/video_2336127_tie-up-pork-roast.html

http://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/video/tying-stuffed-pork-roast-loin-10000001847834/

• Moderators

Dflip your right, I never tried the pork rib roast, she usually gets the pork loin. I need to see which way is cheaper, sometimes a little thing makes a big difference in price, I sure wouldn't mine cutting it myself.

I love to cook and am always looking for new ideas to try or to add flavor, sometimes it sounds like it would go good together but until you try it you never know, thanks.

You right that is good, We have tried the loin like that twice and it's the best way to go. Before that I tried making cuts and inserting garlic and spices, marinating, just about everything to get the flavor inside with little luck. Cutting them like you said is the best way to go plus you can add other things. Our favorite so far is adding some cooked apples in a little brown sugar and a little red pepper flakes, I think that's what she used. The brown sugar and apples turned out really good with the pork. The other time we tried this she switched the apples for pineapple and a little sweet Italian sausage and bell pepper, to me the first was was better. My wife started helping to decide what seasoning to try next, it always help to have another opinion.

This was our second, but not the last. [:P]

bbq-11-1.jpg?t=1311016370

• Moderators

Ok it is 1 hour before lunch and I am very hungry now, THANKS!!!

BTW thems thar lookin gooood!!

Thank you

I know how you feel, at night I can not watch any cooking shows, I always end getting up and looking for something to eat.

Dflip your right, I never tried the pork rib roast, she usually gets the pork loin. I need to see which way is cheaper, sometimes a little thing makes a big difference in price, I sure wouldn't mine cutting it myself.

I love to cook and am always looking for new ideas to try or to add flavor, sometimes it sounds like it would go good together but until you try it you never know, thanks.

You right that is good, We have tried the loin like that twice and it's the best way to go. Before that I tried making cuts and inserting garlic and spices, marinating, just about everything to get the flavor inside with little luck. Cutting them like you said is the best way to go plus you can add other things. Our favorite so far is adding some cooked apples in a little brown sugar and a little red pepper flakes, I think that's what she used. The brown sugar and apples turned out really good with the pork. The other time we tried this she switched the apples for pineapple and a little sweet Italian sausage and bell pepper, to me the first was was better. My wife started helping to decide what seasoning to try next, it always help to have another opinion.

This was our second, but not the last. Stick out tongue

bbq-11-1.jpg?t=1311016370

This fires me up to want to do some outdoor cooking, despite the heat....

The insertion cuts and filling them with garlic works very well, but it does work a lot better with lamb. [:P] Some lemon juice drizzled onto the lamb leg followed by salt, pepper and rosemary produces an excellent Greek style lamb which is heavenly. Just don't overcook the lamb; 140 F is the maximum it should be cooked. Get fresh American lamb if possible followed by New Zealand and then Australian based on mildest to gamiest taste. If you want to marinate chops, check out Sheep's Dip at Amazing Ribs! I have this weekly with fresh Ontario lamb which is grain fed the last 30 days, while the other two lambs are grass fed right up to slaugher.

I loved the idea of brown sugar and apples with the pork loin. You can roll it as well if you cut the apples into smaller pieces. Some dried cranberries or cran-cherries which have been rehydrated might also add a nice contrast to the apples and brown sugar. Cherries and pork complement each other very nicely. I like the smoke ring you have around the outside of the pork loin.

It's amazing what a little mirepoix (fried onions, carrots and celery) with whatever else you add to it adds flavour,moisture and taste to the pork.Choose your woods to smoke with, cherry, apple, hickory and enjoy.

Here is a list of woods to smoke with and what they are good with:

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds. APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork. ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats. BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry. CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor. CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood. GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb. HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef. LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb. MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds. MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning. OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game. PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork. PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood. SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.