BBQ/Smoker ???

oscarsear

Mark, I'm looking at building one smaller than the smallest one Stumps makes. I guess it would be a "mini" clone of a Stumps smoker. I have the ability to build one, I just have to climb out of the recliner and do it!

There are a few good metal fabricators and several nice Stumps clones that can be found on the linked page below. I enjoy following those builds as much as following the speaker builds here. The gravity fed smokers do seem interesting. They rank high on my list should I get a chance to try one; however, at my current residence for work I'm limited to the propane smokers, but have a Webber bullet when I make it back to town.

http://www.phpbbserver.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=27&topicdays=0&start=0&mforum=smokinjim

Also, this would be some machine to have.[H]

post-38331-13819739547694_thumb.jpg

post-38331-1381977021067_thumb.jpg

We HAVE used a vert smoker though and it worked well so it is not so much the tool but how you use it Stick out tongue

It's probably like our lust for big speakers.[8-|]

While I will never have the time or persistence to be good enough for competitive BBQ, I would love to have a professional rig like an offset barrel or gravity fed or perhaps a green egg. Even though my propane smokers are leaky and inefficient, they are still capable of delivering great smoked BBQ.

• Moderators

I use a Traeger pellet grill and this is going on it tomorrow. Injected and rubbed to sit over night then a rub early in the AM and a dusting right befoer she hits the Traeger

[:P] Well how did it turn out, if it's done ?

Doing a little boneless chicken right now, granulated garlic, olive oil, a little salt and some cayenne pepper for a little kick, on hickory.

Always changing it up I use something different almost every time.

The mini smoker, it get's used more than the big one.

Edit; it came out SPICY but good.

post-11804-13819739590378_thumb.jpg

post-11804-1381977025162_thumb.jpg

post-11804-13819797388328_thumb.jpg

I use a Traeger pellet grill and this is going on it tomorrow. Injected and rubbed to sit over night then a rub early in the AM and a dusting right befoer she hits the Traeger

Stick out tongue Well how did it turn out, if it's done ?

Spectacular I used a combo of Apple and Hickory, a pretty standard rub, and injected it with Apple Juice, White wine and a bit of the rub mixed in. Basted it over and over with eht juices as well as put the fat cap up which had a healthy does of rub to allow it to self baste.

• Moderators

Kind of had to put dual exhaust, the tank was so small the door took up the whole center. The smoke comes up from the bottom center so to force smoke to the ends the exhaust ended up on each side. It cooks, that's all that matters, well and it was cheap I had everything except one tank of Oxygen and some paint.

• 5 weeks later...

Early this morning before the main smoke, I decided to roll up a fatty. I started with a roll of Jimmy Dean original flavor fresh sausage. The outside was wrapped with bacon and the inside was stuffed with a variety of cheeses (Provolone, Parmesan, Romano, Fontina and Asiago). Sliced up and stacked on fresh baked biscuits with eggs (they were gone before I thought about another picture), it doesn’t get much better. The smoked potatoes in the picture were diced up and fried as a side dish.

Early this morning before the main smoke, I decided to roll up a fatty. I started with a roll of Jimmy Dean original flavor fresh sausage, then the outside was wrapped with bacon and the inside was stuffed with a variety of cheeses (Provolone, Parmesan, Romano, Fontina and Asiago). Sliced up and stacked on fresh baked biscuits with eggs (they were gone before I thought about another picture), it doesn’t get much better. The smoked potatoes in the picture were diced up and fried as a side dish.

Looks outstanding.... I'm getting ready to put two large chickens on the spit. Its a rainy day here, but grilling must go on....

• Moderators

That looks great Fjd, fatty's are cool, I like the ingredients you used, sounds good. [Y] I like to throw some potatoes on myself, everyone seems to like them even plain.

That reminds me I have 2 butts on right now, only halfway done if that, I think I might go throw on some potatoes, thanks for reminding me. [Y]

I'll add a pic of the butts as soon as I get the potatoes on.

post-11804-13819799866262_thumb.jpg

Looks outstanding.... I'm getting ready to put two large chickens on the spit. Its a rainy day here, but grilling must go on....

Thanks! I remember that the first grill I ever saw growing up was one my Dad had like below. He would get the coals really going then push them to the back so when he loaded the spit, the chickens would not cause a grease fire. His make-shift indirect cooking, now there are so many great devices to do the same thing.

post-38331-13819799871662_thumb.jpg

That looks great Fjd, fatty's are cool, I like the ingredients you used, sounds good. Yes I like to throw some potatoes on myself, everyone seems to like them even plain.

That reminds me I have 2 butts on right now, only halfway done if that, I think I might go throw on some potatoes, thanks for reminding me. Yes

I'll add a pic of the butts as soon as I get the potatoes on.

I like to only do basic things when rolling up a fatty that way I don't have to worry to much about the outcome. While I see most people use the thick sliced bacon, I like to use the regular sliced because it will crisp up better for me.

You have a great looking cooker. What do you burn in it?

Thanks! I remember that the first grill I ever saw growing up was one my Dad had like below. He would get the coals really going then push them to the back so when he loaded the spit, the chickens would not cause a grease fire. Now there are so many great devices to do the same thing.

Boy, does that picture look familiar. The problems with grease fires were never ending. My grill has a rear burner that prevents that from happening. I put a drip pan under the birds and away we go.

• Moderators

I like to only do basic things when rolling up a fatty that way I don't have to worry to much about the outcome. While I see most people use the thick sliced bacon, I like to use the regular sliced because it will crisp up

That was probably why my bacon didn't get really crispy,I need to remember that, thanks. [Y]

I use wood, cut into small pieces, Oak and Hickory usually, sometimes Pear, Pecan or Apple if I trimmed some branches. It has to be cut small to work well in the firebox which is not real big.

Here is a pic so you can get a better idea, that firebox opening is about 12"x10" just guessing, it kind of flamed up when the door was opened.

There is a steal plate to defuse the heat inside the cooking area, the only place it gets a little to hot is the first inch or so across the front and the same along the back which is fine as long as you know about it.

post-11804-13819799880436_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Boy, does that picture look familiar

Yep I remember those but never used one, I have a really hard time with charcoal, could be because I never had a good grill that could slow down all that heat properly ?