BBQ/Smoker ???

oscarsear

Most of the week was rain and cold, so I had to fire up the smoker today. Here are the finished ribs that were slowed cooked at about 225 degrees for about four and a half hours or so. One slab of baby back and one slab of Kansas City cut. The neighbors got the third slab as they kept commenting on how great the ribs smelled.

post-38331-13819663319102_thumb.jpg

Nice smoke ring, tender & moist. I used a combination of cherry wood and hickory wood. The ribs were soaked in a mixture of cider vinegar, apple cider, and the dry rub mixture overnight.

I covered the ribs with more dry rub before starting to smoke. The dry rub was made from the typical spices, such as white pepper, black pepper, sea salt, ground mustard powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.

The last hour or so I basted the ribs with a combination of melted down and simmering brown sugar, a stick of butter, a small can of tomato paste, and more of the dry rub blended in the simmering sauce.

Nice smoke ring, tender & moist. I used a combination of cherry wood and hickory wood. The ribs were soaked in a mixture of cider vinegar, apple cider, and the dry rub mixture overnight.

I covered the ribs with more dry rub before starting to smoke. The dry rub was made from the typical spices, such as white pepper, black pepper, sea salt, ground mustard powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.

The last hour or so I basted the ribs with a combination of melted down and simmering brown sugar, a stick of butter, a small can of tomato paste, and more of the dry rub blended in the simmering sauce.

Looks like a job well done...

So you grilled the peach and apple, smothered them in salsa, and ate them with the chips right?

i knew i should have checked with you first. but, honestly, your idea doesn't sound that bad. except i only own a fork and the stove is electric, so i'd have to lay the peach and apple directly on those heating elements. getting that stuff from the store was the first time I've eaten "a home cooked meal" in a very long time. steve

I withheld the urge to smoke today...my wife has been hounding me for chili for the last few weeks, even though it was almost 70 today and I usually like to cook outside while it is nice. I did get to use my new meat grinder for the first time...it was fun grinding up 4 steaks for my first run

• 9 months later...

I've been working on a way to consistently get good brisket out of my electric smoker. 'Good brisket' meaning really tender on the inside and fully covered in crunchy bark on the outside. And this is what I've come up with, so far. 1st it has to be a brisket that is whole and will fit inside my weentsy smoker on the rack nearest the water bath. That is not a huge brisket maybe 21 inches in length. I trim the fat cap down to around 1/4 to 1/2 inch and score what remains. Just before smoking I rub the entire piece with some form of brown sugar based dry rub. I use cherry and hickory wood chips and I wet smoke at around 225 degrees (roughly) - fat cap up. I place a remote digital thermometer in the middle of the flat section of the brisket and smoke the piece until the meat temp reaches 180 degrees. This usually takes about 7 hours. I then remove the brisket and wrap it tightly in foil and let it cool at room temp until the next day. The next day I place the brisket in a 350 to 375 oven for 2 hours. I may add a little fluid to the pan if the piece is way small, otherwise I run it dry. I have drizzled honey on it for this too - but I'm not sold on that approach. After this 2 hours bake-in, it is done. Hit it with a spoon and it 'clanks'. Cut into it and the entire hunk is crusted over with 1/4 inch bark and the insides just flake apart. Most of the fat is rendered and gone. You can serve it all at once or you can fridge it and serve it over time. It microwaves right back to 100% wonderful.

Be careful about letting it sit out so long. In food service (I know you are home and not serving to the public) if meat is left in the "danger zone" below 140F and above 40F for a total of 4 hours additive, it must be discarded. The nasties that grow in the danger zone can not be killed by recooking or reheating. If it works for you, well .... I am just saying. This stuff tastes GREAT but it isn't worth getting sick over.

Ya I have been away for a while but the smell of this thread brought me back!

• Moderators

Ya I have been away for a while but the smell of this thread brought me back!

I can't get away from that smell and taste, did some chicken and a Pork loin yesterday with Hickory and oak. [:P]

• Moderators

Never had a chance, but from reading they are highly respected and efficient. I like burning logs/sticks.

I like to read here, there is a lot of builds to get ideas from and it's a good forum for smoking.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

This is another.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

I smoke ribs around here and use charcoal pretty much exclusively. Supposedly you can load up the Stumps with charcoal and it will gravity feed all day or night. That sure sounds appealing. I think the secret on the temp control is insulating the thing real good. Of course, that makes building one a heck of a lot tougher.[;)]

My wife's uncle is into competitive barbeque and catering. His team is "Best Butts in Town" here in Athens, Ga. He has had a few of Stumps models.

They perform excellent. EXCELLENT. Most everyone adds the guru temp sensors and fan to more accurately control temp. But you really don't need it.

I have been to a few competitions and everyone uses Stumps smokers. Green eggs are popular as well as some of the stick burners like Lang's.

I would love to own a Stumps but I can cook more food than we can eat on just my Weber which I have learned to smoke on very well. I just can't justify the cost. But I'd love one.

You shoudl get it. Which model are you looking at?

They are supposed to be well built but I have never seen one let alone used one. Here Offset barrel type of units are most popular with the sprinkeling of green eggs, webber kettle etc.

We burn stick and lump charcoal so anything that self feeds is something that we are not used to dealing with. We HAVE used a vert smoker though and it worked well so it is not so much the tool but how you use it [:P]