Bi-Amping

CIGARBUM

I am still messing around with these Bose 901's and a few other spare parts I have laying around. I have 2 Fisher - Studio Standard, CA-880 intergrated amps and a CD player and want to experiment by bi-amping them. I think I know how to hook them up but not really sure, please correct me if I am wrong.

The CD player has 2 RCA plugs in back, Right and left, plug 1 RCA plug into the Right (using a Y connector)and the 2 plug end into the CD or Aux on Amp #1, repeat this with the left side of the CD player, one RCA and plug the 2 ended RCA into the CD or Aux of Amp #2.

Then connect the speaker wire right side of, +/- of amp #1 and left side to amp #2.

Is this correct, will I get any difference on sound, I know they are Bose speakers, how much can you expect.

Appreciate your time.

CB

I am no expert here regarding your setup, however I have never seen "bi-amping" accomplished by attempting to do so at the source. I would think it may be better to "bi-amp" directly from your intergrated amps rather than the CD player.

I have a set of speakers "bi-amp'ed," however I'm doing so with two amplifiers, coming from a A/V control center, connected to a CD player.

I'm sure others will offer some good ideas on your project... Good Luck... Boxx....

What you are attempting to do is definately not bi-amping.

To Bi-amp a speaker means to have a seperate amplifier for the woofer section and a seperate amplifier for the mids/tweeter section of the same speaker.

The speakers need to have two seperate inputs on the them to make them bi-ampable, which I doubt the 901's have. You also need a crossover to seperate the freq. signal. However it would be possible to bi-amp using a pair of subwoofers with the 901's, for instance, sending all signals above say, 60hz. to the bose 901's through one amp, and all signals below 60hz. to the subwoofers through another amp or by using the built in amps and crossovers in the subwoofers.

Well, to be truthful, I'm not sure what I am trying to do. I just have a bunch of stuff that I an trying different things for a shop system. Most of the equipment is in good working condition but is nothing I would put in my main systems and I don't care if it burns up or blows up.

Maybe trying to make a

Frankencritter. If you hear a loud boom, don't think anything of it.

Thanks

CB

A Bose 901 can sound pretty good bi-amped with a subwoofer and with a supertweeter added.

Put the Bose EQ in the closet when doing it this way, it will sound vastly better without it in the system after you have it bi-amped.

It you want to gild the lilly, tri-amp the supertweeter.

I am still messing around with these Bose 901's and a few other spare parts I have laying around. I have 2 Fisher - Studio Standard, CA-880 intergrated amps and a CD player and want to experiment by bi-amping them. I think I know how to hook them up but not really sure, please correct me if I am wrong. The CD player has 2 RCA plugs in back, Right and left, plug 1 RCA plug into the Right (using a Y connector)and the 2 plug end into the CD or Aux on Amp #1, repeat this with the left side of the CD player, one RCA and plug the 2 ended RCA into the CD or Aux of Amp #2. Then connect the speaker wire right side of, +/- of amp #1 and left side to amp #2. Is this correct, will I get any difference on sound, I know they are Bose speakers, how much can you expect. Appreciate your time. CB

I'm no expert either, but if you're trying to bi amp, I believe that if you're using a speaker with a passive crossover, you first have to take that out of the loop and get an active crossover and run the amp's seperatly into each (speaker, driver), it sounds like you're trying to biwire, which is just a waste of time. but I'm a novice, so I'm sure you'll get better advice than I can give.

This what I am thinking.

What you are trying to do will not result in a bi-amp configuration. To bi-amp you need to have an electronic crossover, a minimum of 2 amplifiers (1 for top end and 1 for the bass). If you want to do a 3 way system you would need 3 amplifiers, 1 for tweeters, 1 for mids and, 1 for the base. Therefore to bi-amp your bose 901s with a subwoofer and high frequency system you would need 3 amplifiers and the 3 way electronic crossover. Your integrated amp will need to have pre-amp outs to send the signal to the crossover. The crossover then feeds the appropriate amplifier. The Bose 901s do not have an integral crossover.

I guess if your cd player has a volume control it could be used as the pre-amp to send the signal to the crossover.

I hope this helps, maybe a little.

Robert

The Rolls has a real crossover in it, and a master volume control.

He could either buy a powered sub, or a passive sub (or two) and use his second Fischer amp on them. I would just passively cross a supertweeter.

If he wanted to go whole hog he could buy an inexpensive T-amp for the supertweeter, and a used $50 3-way stereo electronic crossover. He will need some sort of master volume control or an inexpensive pre-amp (unless the CD player had a volume control).

First, a few comments, you guys are heads and shoulders above me, I have read most of the posts and they are excellent, but I just lack the basic audio understanding that most of you possess, it all voodoo to me.

That being said, I believe what I am trying to do is make a pair of Bose sound half way respectable, these are only for my shop so no real concentrated listening. I would like to take a pair of Bose 901's, two matched intergated amps, Fisher CA-880 a sub woofer or two, bunch of wires/interconnects and make it sound better.

Basic question, is it possible? Do I have to purchase additional parts and pieces? I don't want to spent a bunch of money just for my shop, none would be better.

CB

Don't Bose 901s use nine 4.5" drivers in each speaker? Since each one is a "full-range" driver, how would you bi-amp them? Bi-amping calls for separate amps for the bass and treble drivers, but 901s have only mid drivers.

In other words, how do you bi-amp a 1-way system?

If you add a sub, it would be a 2-way system of sorts, but won't there be a big gap between the top end of the sub and the bottom end of those 4.5" drivers?

Maybe it's doable, I'm just not sure how.

"Maybe it's doable, I'm just not sure how."

I explained how to do it.

Why do people comment on subjects they aren't familiar with?

I have been building electronic crossovers for biamp and triamp systems for well over 30 years now, I think I have figured it out by now.