Brainstorming klipschorn veneer choices... opinions and suggestions?

formica

These are what I'm currently looking at in Koa for the Khorns I'm building from scratch with speakerlab's plans after finding all the components by a stroke of luck on Milwaukee craigslist. I'll be making a decision on which one I'll go with in a week and will post the sources after that. Really torn as to wheather or not to go with the pattern running up and down the 4' side as I can get 2 matches on each face and it almost resembles flames but I really like the others. Choosing is the worst part! Well besides paying for it. Not cheap.

0.jpg

from seth.jpg

2018-12-07+09.02.37.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with the above. You may not want to have such large surfaces in the corners with a pattern that stands out too much. It may call too much attention to itself. Although I do agree the pattern is fantastic looking.

A couple of years ago, I was trying to highlight a few surfaces on some maple cabinets with a birds eye maple. Talk about expensive ... it was shocking (but it did look good).

Good Luck,

-Tom

I'm personally of the opinion that the louder (visually) the Khorn is....the better.

I love those with the exotic finishes much more than the subtle Walnut or birch finishes.

(then again, I was raised with a mother who always said when I had a suite tailored, it could (should) be as conservative as needed on the outside, but on the inside for the lining I could (should) go hog wild...  so I guess that's been inbred a bit in me)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, Coytee said:

I'm personally of the opinion that the louder (visually) the Khorn is....the better.

I love those with the exotic finishes much more than the subtle Walnut or birch finishes.

(then again, I was raised with a mother who always said when I had a suite tailored, it could (should) be as conservative as needed on the outside, but on the inside for the lining I could (should) go hog wild...  so I guess that's been inbred a bit in me)

Coytee,  I think you and I may be long lost brothers. My Mother used to say the same thing to me. 

rHaving just finished about six years with a bunch of college kids at my job prior to retirement...some of whom wanted my advice about "getting married" and such...I would always reply with this: 

Marriage is SUPPOSED TO BE a LIFETIME AGREEMENT between two people.  For myself, I have come to the conclusion that one of the very best things to do when thinking about marrying somebody is this:  Look at that person's face as it is RIGHT NOW, and Totally ignore everything else about the rest of the person's current appearance..Just that face, but washed completely clean...no make-up, hair disheveled, the whole "he or she just woke-up thing"...then close your eyes and ... picture how it will look decades from now when you see that face .JUST THAT FACE! ...Picture it older, fatter, wrinkles, more gaunt and haggard...every possible Negative thing which COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN to THAT FACE!  Everything else on that person's body will change, likely quite drastically!!  You will see that face every morning for the rest of your life, God willing!  YOU WILL HAVE TO WAKE UP TO THAT FACE FOR THE REMAINDER OF YOUR LIFE, whether it has a happy expression, a sad expression, an angry expression, o any other kind of expression...you will have to wake up to it!  And think about THAT for awhile while enjoying your current relationship with the person....it all depends on how you want to have to start out every day for the rest of your life...eventually you will know!

For ME, picking out a veneer choice for a speaker, it is "that face"...no matter what  else happens to the changes in your environment that contains those speakers ...room size, furniture choices, etc.  Do you REALLY want to have to look at "that face" for the rest of your life??  If you intend to "date around, anyway and not stick with" the speakers, it is no big deal, IMHO!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

For ME, picking out a veneer choice for a speaker, it is "that face"...no matter what  else happens to the changes in your environment that contains those speakers ...room size, furniture choices, etc.  Do you REALLY want to have to look at "that face" for the rest of your life??  If you intend to "date around, anyway and not stick with" the speakers, it is no big deal, IMHO!

I don't care what everyone else said about you....  I always thought you had a handsome face...:)

10 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

rHaving just finished about six years with a bunch of college kids at my job prior to retirement...some of whom wanted my advice about "getting married" and such...I would always reply with this: 

Marriage is SUPPOSED TO BE a LIFETIME AGREEMENT between two people.  For myself, I have come to the conclusion that one of the very best things to do when thinking about marrying somebody is this:  Look at that person's face as it is RIGHT NOW, and Totally ignore everything else about the rest of the person's current appearance..Just that face, but washed completely clean...no make-up, hair disheveled, the whole "he or she just woke-up thing"...then close your eyes and ... picture how it will look decades from now when you see that face .JUST THAT FACE! ...Picture it older, fatter, wrinkles, more gaunt and haggard...every possible Negative thing which COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN to THAT FACE!  Everything else on that person's body will change, likely quite drastically!!  You will see that face every morning for the rest of your life, God willing!  YOU WILL HAVE TO WAKE UP TO THAT FACE FOR THE REMAINDER OF YOUR LIFE, whether it has a happy expression, a sad expression, an angry expression, o any other kind of expression...you will have to wake up to it!  And think about THAT for awhile while enjoying your current relationship with the person....it all depends on how you want to have to start out every day for the rest of your life...eventually you will know!

I like your analogy when it comes to speakers sitting in a family room for years. However, when looking for a lifetime partner I preferred to find a woman with a good brain, compassion, sense of humor, common sense and pleasant personality. Someone I could talk to for the next 50 or 60 years and never get bored.

As TV Judge Judy says 'beauty fades, dumb is forever'.

Wb

12 hours ago, audiofan said:

Thanks for all the advice. I'll  post pics when done. I'm in no rush. Winter project.

How much veneer did you end up buying size wise? What backing, etc.

I've always wanted to redo my Belles in matched grain Rosewood but I am certainly not skilled in the art of wood working.

Wb

2 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

I like your analogy when it comes to speakers sitting in a family room for years. However, when looking for a lifetime partner I preferred to find a woman with a good brain, compassion, sense of humor, common sense and pleasant personality. Someone I could talk to for the next 50 or 60 years and never get bored.

As TV Judge Judy says 'beauty fades, dumb is forever'.

Wb

Those things you mentioned is exactly WHY I  put this into the equation:

And think about THAT for awhile while enjoying your current relationship with the person....it all depends on how you want to have to start out every day for the rest of your life...eventually you will know!

Beauty is just skin-deep!  But the deeper inside one goes, the more one can REALLY see things....it takes time to see all of the things!  Have you ever woke up and looked at a beautiful partner and thought to yourself "GAWD, she's gorgeous, but do I want to deal with this (take your pick, one or more: unpleasant, stupid, bitchy,  not al lick of common sense, un-caring, self-absorbed, etc.) woman today?  Its too damned early for this to start, I'm going back to sleep!"  Eventually you found out, didn't you?

8 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Those things you mentioned is exactly WHY I  put this into the equation:

And think about THAT for awhile while enjoying your current relationship with the person....it all depends on how you want to have to start out every day for the rest of your life...eventually you will know!

Beauty is just skin-deep!  But the deeper inside one goes, the more one can REALLY see things....it takes time to see all of the things!  Have you ever woke up and looked at a beautiful partner and thought to yourself "GAWD, she's gorgeous, but do I want to deal with this (take your pick, one or more: unpleasant, stupid, bitchy,  not al lick of common sense, un-caring, self-absorbed, etc.) woman today?  Its too damned early for this to start, I'm going back to sleep!"  Eventually you found out, didn't you?

Dated my share of good looking women from Junior high school on. Sowed my wild oats and it was a lot of fun... while it lasted. 

I came to find out the less my mother liked a girl I brought home the more fun to be had. She disliked most of them (unless they knew how to ride a horse) but along with my father ended up loving my (afraid of horses) spouse like they did my sister. That said, sometimes I think it would be nice if women came with an off switch but that probably results from living with three of them. Two with tin ears. 😉

Wb

One time my kid brother was asking my father about relationship advice.  Dad just looked at him and matter-of-factly stated "Sometimes I worry about you, son...and sometimes I get REALLY WORRIED about you...like NOW!"  My brother said, "What is THAT supposed to mean?"  Dad just calmly told him: "Pay attention to me, son! Don't you know anything?  You just asked ME, OF ALL PEOPLE to give you relationship advice!  I'm a man who has been divorced twice!  The first time I got married it lasted for ten years, but she decided I was not up to her standards anymore, and wanted a divorce.  Then I married your mother...that marriage lasted for 16 years, but she wanted a divorce for the same damned reason, then I got married again, to the FIRST WIFE!, your stepmother.  How the hell can you POSSIBLY THINK that I might have any GOOD ADVICE TO GIVE TO YOU ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS, SON?!?!  You better find SOMEBODY ELSE for THAT!"  I laughed my arse off!

On 9/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, audiofan said:

I went with the set B sheets.

Those look great. I suggest that you make a cardboard "picture frame" the size of your veneer project and slide it around on the face of your big sheet of veneer, so you can pick the best looking design of the woodgrain. Symmetry and balance are key factors of why the Klipsch factory speakers are so attractive.