Klipschorn's vs KLF 20's

talmadge

I currently own a pair of KLF 20's that I have been happy with. However I've always wondered about upgrading to a pair of used Klipschorns even though I've never had the pleasure to hear them. My room is big enough and would allow corner placement. I could afford $2000 for a pair of used speakers. So my question is what would the klipschorns give me that the KLF 20's can't deliver? Anybody in the Charlotte or carolinas area have a pair I could listen to?

While I have liatened to Khorn's I have never owned a pair. I can tell you the KLF20 will go lower but that the Khorns will push more air and has the efficiency advantage. The KLF 20 is a very nice speaker and for a fraction of what you are considering spending on Khorns you could make huge improvements to your KLF20's. The KLF 20 is shipped stock with a poly tweeter diaphragm which is a very poor performer. Buy a set of Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragms, you will be amased what $60.00 will do. Then buy a set of Klipsch Titanium mid diaphragms which will bring even more than you could imagine. Then if you want more upgrade the crossover parts and brace and stiffen the cabinet. I think that you will find that this relatively modest investment in time effort and parts will provide you with a world class set of speakers. If you have a room that does not like real facing vents then you can easily move the reflex vents from the back of the speaker to the front with minimal effort. Hope that this provides some food for thought. If you just feel like getting into the deep end of the pool go for the Khorns. I doubt that you will be disapointed but hang on to your KLF 20 until you are sure of which direction you want to go. Best regards Moray James.

You would have to hear them side by side, with the Klipschorns sealed into good corners, with gaskets .... it's hard to arrange such a comparison, unless Klipsch could provide it at one of their sites.

If the Khorns are sealed into good corners, and the KLF 20s are not, but are near a wall, you might get 3 to 4 to 5 dB more sound pressure level from the Khorns (3dB would be like doubling your amplifier power, but it is only approx 3 Just Noticeable Differences louder to the average person, although I experience a 3 dB increase as being a little greater than that). The sensitivity ratings of the Khorns assume that they are pressed into a trihedral corner.

I suspect that you would gain something and lose something by going from the KLF20s to the Khorns. This is often the case when switching between good speakers. Potentially, the Khorns may produce more dramatic dynamics, when played very loudly. On tympani on big bass drum beats, my Khorns produce enough of a breeze to flap my pant legs from 13 feet away, but some other speakers can do that .... I don't know if the KLF 20 is one of them..

There will be a significant difference between the way the Khorns and the 20s load the bass in the room along with a fair amount more of bass efficiency.

The 20s might go a tiny drop lower but you would never miss it because of the way bass loads in the room from Khorns. Switching between them either the 20s will sound thin or the Khorns will sould heavy.

In the mids, since the Khorn loads down to 400hz, there will be a different sound than the 20s in the 350hz to 1000hz area. The 20s will cross between the two woofers to the mid horn and the Khorn will be more seamless. This could be somewhat subjective if you like the sound of cone drivers in this area. Highs it would be a toss up though again the Khorns will push a fair amount of air with less than half the power of the 20s.

Last thing to be careful with is that Khorns can't be positioned unless you build false walls. Make sure you have the ability to sit in the sweetspot with them, if not the 20s can be moved to suit.

Thanks for everybodys thoughts and advice. For now I may go the way of the crites mods with my 20's and see what I think after that. Maybe replace the tweeter and midrange diaphrams and the crossovers as well. Perhaps even upgrade the internal wiring. I do enjoy tinkering. I suppose I thought the khorns might have some magic that the 20's couldn't get close to.

One problem I had going from the KLF 20s to La Scalas was the LS with the audio video reciver did not sound that good. They sounded good but not like I remebered them sounding.

The LS and KHorns have to be paired with quality equipment to get the best sound from them. Quality equipment does not mean very expensive equipment but it can still add up if you are not careful.

What equipment will you be using?

Be very careful cause if you get the KHorns you may end up upgrading your whole system and spend tttttooooooo[:S] much money which is what I did.

I upgraded my 20's with everything mentioned sans the bracing. I did notice crispers highes and more steady HF notes (o.k., Favog, what in the hell do you mean by that?) Klipsch used components (caps, etc.) in their crossovers for these speakers that were only accuarate +/- 20%. Parts are available that are 1% that will keep a more consistant tone and volume than the ones that came from the factory. Before I get any nay-sayers, yes, I've heard it and it was NOT psychological. So having Mr. Crites rebuild or replace the crossovers would be a good start.

After a number of years I got the Heritage bug and Khorns would not be a good fit in my room. I didn't like the fact that LaScalas' LF rolled off around 50 Hz. so I settled on getting a pair of Cornwalls. You can pick up a nice used pair with cabinets in good condition for about $800.

I found a pair in Chicago and was not that impressed with their sound when I got them home. They're from 84' so the crossovres had seen better days. I called Mr. Crites and ordered the whole lot (except for the Ti midrange diaphragms), tweeters, crossovers, cast woofers and phonelic mid-diaphragms. I sold the old parts here in the Garage sale section. No modifications HAD to be done to the cabinets. But what I did do was get a set of speaker cable terminal plates from PartsExpress for about $110 (here and here - I had mine bi-wired) total and installed them lower just above the port shelf.

So I have less than $2k in these after I sold the old drivers........and they sound great!!

You may even want to entertain the thought of Cornscalas from Bob also.

So after I finished putting the Cornwalls togerther the first thing I noticed was the emense expansion in soundstage over the 20's and a more chest thumpin' bass.

I currently own a pair of KLF 20's that I have been happy with. However I've always wondered about upgrading to a pair of used Klipschorns even though I've never had the pleasure to hear them. My room is big enough and would allow corner placement. I could afford $2000 for a pair of used speakers. So my question is what would the klipschorns give me that the KLF 20's can't deliver? Anybody in the Charlotte or carolinas area have a pair I could listen to?

The relative dimensions of your room are critical to the klipschorn's performance. Since they typically sit tucked into the corners, they will excite every resonance in the room. If the room has favorable dimensions, this is a good thing; if not, well you probably would be better off with the KLF20's. That said, the midrange of the k-horn and La Scala is in another league all together compared to any of the smaller format mids used in the klf's, corn's, heresy's Chorus, Forte's, etc. Just my humble opinion.