University Classic: The Dean, Cornerhorn

AFP

I have been wanting to build a pair of these for quite some time, and my google search landed me here. I think that I have read all of the many posts by some very knowledgeable folks. I have a few questions/concerns I hope you might be able to help me with. First, do these bass horns really need to be crossed over at 350hz.? Such a low crossover point really limits the number of midrange horn/driver combinations available to me. Second, are there equal or better performing modern woofers available that I could use instead of the C15W? I really do not want to use vintage drivers if at all possible. Ideally, I would like to use modern drivers, have a 500-600hz. crossover point, and, if possible, make it a 2way design. Any and all replies appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew.

Search for BEC on this forum ... BEC is Bob Crites who has many drivers available, including some 15" woofers that are Klipschorn compatible (hopefully this is still true), so they may be compatible with the University horns. Make sure you make any data on the bass horn available to him. He also builds crossovers.

I'm not sure how the University system would sound. Is it an old ("classic") model? As you may know, Paul Klipsch was much relieved when he was able to replace a University tweeter with the EV T35 in about 1957, selected versions of which became the Klipsch K77, K77M, and K77F used in the Klipschorn. Does the University bass horn have a sealed back chamber, i.e., is front loaded only? Some people favor that kind of design. The mating of a modern woofer with a old bass horn may require a lot of data on both.

Have you seen the Klipsch Jubilee? Although the Cinema version is a three way, several forum members use two way versions (full range) that have been made available to them from Klipsch through Roy Delgado, a top ranking Klipsch engineer, who co-designed the Jubilee with Paul Klipsch toward the end of the latter's life. It was originally meant as an improved Klipschorn, but the huge mid/treble horn made it unwelcome in some living rooms. Since you are handy, you could build a grille to cover the horn, or adapt the Jub aesthetically in some other way. People who have heard them seem to love them.

I probably should have posted my Dean build here but I hate having to post multiple places. Here is the link to it on AK. It involves a 3D model I did in google sketchup and then machining it with a Shopbot CNC machine. All panels interlock with another via slots. I added a central reinforcment panel as recommended that also supports the mid/high horn.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=380361&highlight=university

Thanks for the replies gentleman. Tom, I saw your post on AK, very nice work. I know that a few of the guys here had actually built some Deans and tryed some alternative woofers. I am just trying to gather more information before I stumble blindly, as I usually do. into the next speaker building project. Andrew.

• 6 years later...
On 7/23/2011 at 3:33 AM, tomlang said:

I probably should have posted my Dean build here but I hate having to post multiple places. Here is the link to it on AK. It involves a 3D model I did in google sketchup and then machining it with a Shopbot CNC machine. All panels interlock with another via slots. I added a central reinforcment panel as recommended that also supports the mid/high horn.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=380361&highlight=university

Old post, but very interested in the Sketchup file you generated for the University "Dean" plans. I am planning to build a set, as I cannot find them (or K horns) for sale. Let me know, Thanks!

Jon VO

• Like 1