Promedia 2.1 Subwoofer Working Intermittently

alex2112

Here's yet another Promedia 2.1 sub issue. I've owned my 2.1's now for a very long time. I bought them around 2000 when the v.2-400's were still around. Less than a year into owning them, I sent back the sub because it wouldn't kick in until after a few minutes of the satellites working alone. I got the replacement sub and it has treated me very well with no issues for many years. But, the other day I noticed something disheartening. I fired up some music and there was no bass :( I played around with the subwoofer knob on the pod and the bass came back. Today, I had the same thing happen, no bass, then after cranking the knob to full and back it seemed to kick in again. Since these are obviously out of warranty, anyone have any suggestions of things I can try to fix them? Is it time to get a new set?

Sorry, I should have explained that after playing with the knob, the sub will kick in but only for a few seconds before cutting out again. Also, turning the knob slightly to the left or right or wiggling it doesn't usually work. It almost always takes a full low to high sweep of the knob to get the sub to start working. Do you still think it's a volume control issue?

My set for 2001 is doing the same. I replaced the module and still get the same issue. Mine will stay on for slightly longer (sometimes it is fine). I find that when it is off if I tab the back of the sub it will come on. I figure there is either a cold solder joint or a blown component in there. If you figure out how to fix it please post.

• 4 years later...

i got my Promedia 2.1 set back in 2002 and used it for 2 years then put away in the cupboard they still look new, i tried them out recently and having same issue with the sub.

after switching on the sub it works for about 20 seconds then cuts out...if i switch the sub off immediately then on again it stills doesn't work, i have to allow a few minutes before turning the sub on again for it to work for yet another 20 seconds then it cuts out again.. any knowledge on what component is failing?