Dennon 2802 setting questions

dblue

I have some questions concerning setting up my Denon 2802 with my Klipsch RF3's, RS3's, and RC3, along with a SVS PCi 25-31.

First of all.. Large or small, and on which speakers?

Second... LFE or LFE+Main for the sub setting (I realize that this depends on the above).

Third...Crossover. Yes/No? The Denon offers 80Hz 100Hz and 120Hz settings. I realize that 80 is what I would go with, but it still seems a little high. Don't know though.

All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks

Dave Blue

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

I would go with small for all speakers.

Or you could run them large and use the LFE+Main function, however one of the purposes of having a subwoofer is to relieve the mains from low-bass-producing duties.

80Hz is the way to go, it may be a bit high for the RF-3II but that's what you have to work with, so...

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

blue,

1)i'd put 'em all on small even the rf-3. should be best overall bass quality that way.

2) yea depends on above but just put it on lfe+main though if u put the rf-3 on small it won't matter.

3) definitely on 80hz.

best answer, get everything positioned best then switch the rf-3 between lg & sm w/ some real bassy 2-channel cds (rc-3 definitely on small). let your ears decide. don't let anyone tell u which sounds best to you. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks. I will have the same setup and was wondering what to do. Although I have heard from many people before that this is what to do.

Dblue,

Do you get a humming sound from your speakers or not? I have heard this alot from other people and when I get these speakers I don't want it to happen to me, so it would be nice to know if you have that problem or not cause we both have the same receiver.

------------------

I like my bass like I like my women, deep and tight.

Zandern,

I don't get a humming sound, but I will tell you that hiss on audio CD's (hiss that is already there) is much more noticable in the quiet parts. I think this has more to do with the crystal-clarity of the RF-3 's than anything else. I did listen for a his with nothing playing, and even then, you have to damn-near crank it to hear anything at all, although if you get up toward 0, you do hear a hiss. NO humming though.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

some hiss is always the case w/ klipsch horns. they're

just reproducing quite well what the receiver/players are spitting out. everyone has it to differing degrees- some you have to crank it & put ear right next

to speaker but it's always there.

any receiver or pre/pro that's 100% hiss free i'd have to question the circuitry & how discrete it really is.

iow, there seems to be a trade off between silence when

idle & how discrete the circuitry is during actual playback.

my b&k pre/pro has some noise floor when idle if it's cranked some & i listen real close from the listening area IF NO MATERIAL IS PLAYING. when something is going it's the best sound i've ever heard from MY klipsch. truely discrete circuitry. no mute circuits connecting everything together.

as for hum or buzz that's usually from a ground loop zan. & in most cases from having cabletv (or dss?) connected to the receiver in some way (s-vid, dig audio, etc.). beacuse those have a different ground from your electrical system you get a ground loop problem. this is just the most common i've seen. many other gloop scenarios such as having the components plugged to 2 dif ac outlet locations such as on different ac circuits in home.

if you get one & your sub is the only device (besides surge/conditioner boxes) to have a 3-prong (safety ground plug), then the 1st thing i'd do is put a 3:2 cheater plug on that ac plug to make it a 2 pronger (just hot & neutral).

just tyrin to kis here. ground loops are real tricky & were a real can-o-worms for me. i just used cheaters on everything & be careful touching. Wink.gif it was my only practical, feasible solution (no more advice please Smile.gif). subs are safe w/ a cheater. many come w/ a cheater. just if u use 1 be careful in not touching any metal on it it it's hot.

------------------

My Home Systems Page