KLF-30. Just how good?

Danzo

I have a pair of Forte II speakers and i find them very good. Currently run them with Emotiva UP-1 blocks from Oppo95 but about to pickup Bryston 4B ST just to see how speakers would behave with more power and hoping for ever lower noise floor. Used to consider replacing speakers with classic RF-7 (i do watch some movies), but after auditioning decided against it. Still have to find a pair of RF-83 to listen to, but starting to think that i find 3-way sound more pleasing (trying to stay open minded though).

Most of other famous Heritage have too big a footprint to be squeezed into my listening area. Heresies do require a good matching subwoofer and i doubt Chorus I or IIs would be a major step up from my current speakers - which left me thinking about KLF series. I wonder if anyone had a chance to compare

Forte IIs vs KLF-30? Are they fairly similar or maybe it's worth making it my mission No1 and, for example, importing pair from US all the way to UK?

I have had both. the KLF-30 is not a significant upgrade over the forte II. The KLF-30 does play louder with little effort. Also, shipping the KLF-30 is a nightmare, the mid horn would likely break at the driver and the woofer would likely come off the baffle ( I know this from experience).

I think Meister is pretty spot on.

The KLF cabinets can come apart and require regluing with gorilla glue or something similar.

I too, feel shipping these (or getting shipped to you) is a bad choice. Driver damage is likely.

That being said; the 30s are a kick arse speaker; reputed to be the best Klipsch speakers for rock. (20s and 30s).

I wish I could find a pair in my price range.

Good Luck!

I have also been interested in the KLF-20 or 30s. I have heard the C7 and know it is preferred to the academy by some. I can see how it is good. I want to audition the KLFs myself. I have heard good things besides the cabinets. I was thinking that I could build new cabinets for the speakers. I need to finish the Tangent 500 project first.

Ironsave, I just saw a posting for KLF-20s in the alerts. http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/151523.aspx

Thought you might be interested.

I find the Chorus IIs to be a step up from the forte Is. I love the Chorus IIs. If someone has done comparisons of the KLF 30s and Chorus IIs please give more input.

Chisox,

There is a CL posting for minty KLF 20s for $500.

I have my heart set on the 30s; but fnding them around $500 will not be easy.......

I got to Hear Big Cliffs Chorus IIs versus Fortes in the same evening.

Bigger; more badass soundstage. Both speakers rock; but the Chorus IIs do it better and even more so in a larger room!

I'd like to hear a comparison of these two as well (30s versus Chorus IIs).

I think the KLF 30s are a more pure rock and roll speaker; where the Chorus IIs can just pound you no matter what.....

Awesome experience; I still am grateful to Big Cliff.......

I have also been interested in the KLF-20 or 30s. I have heard the C7 and know it is preferred to the academy by some. I can see how it is good. I want to audition the KLFs myself. I have heard good things besides the cabinets. I was thinking that I could build new cabinets for the speakers. I need to finish the Tangent 500 project first.

Ironsave, I just saw a posting for KLF-20s in the alerts. http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/151523.aspx

Thought you might be interested.

I find the Chorus IIs to be a step up from the forte Is. I love the Chorus IIs. If someone has done comparisons of the KLF 30s and Chorus IIs please give more input.

I have KLF 30s and Forte 1s. I really like the KLF 30s. They came alive when I hooked them to a Sansui AU-717. I was lucky enough to get them for a very good price because there is a stain on top of one speaker. I'm using the Fortes as the rear speakers in a 5.1 media system, so it's hard for me to compare them. The Fortes did sound fantastic when I tested them last year. It's hard to say which is better. They just have a different sound.

The backs of my KLF 30s were sealed with something (looks like silicon) by a previous owner. Whoever did the work did a good job. That's a problem with those speakers.

I had to drive over 3 hours and pack my Toyota Corolla with those speakers in my rear seat, cushioned by blankets. My rear window was blocked and I was hoping I wouldn't get a ticket. But they really mate well with my Sansui. They're also very sensitive to room placement. When I turned them in and moved them about 6 inches from the wall, I think I doubled my bass output.

They're all good. Their potential will be determined by the room, amplification and correct placement. Another audio enthusiast and myself recently tested them all in the same room with the same components. We both now own 30's.

Oh.....If there's anybody in the Chicago-Milwaukee area that has a Chorus ll system that they're proud of I would love an audition. I'm not convinced that the Chorus ll's we were testing were really performing to their potential.

Thanks in advance. [:D]

Oh.....If there's anybody in the Chicago-Milwaukee area that has a Chorus ll system that they're proud of I would love an audition. I'm not convinced that the Chorus ll's we were testing were really performing to their potential.

Thanks in advance. Big Smile

I have Chorus IIs but I am in the far south subs. If interested let me know, Ironsave will come make another trip to my humble abode.

What are your thoughts on both? chisoxpurdue asked earlier if anyone has done A/B comparisons. SWL doesn't feel he had a good Chorus II example, otherwise I'd hound him for his thoughts too.

I remember reading previously you've had your Chorus IIs for many years. KLF-30 must be in their league to let them in.

It's a work in progress at the moment. I have a few parts of the puzzle to finish. I listened to 3 different pairs of KLF 30's and only liked the sound of the pair I bought so whatever that means.

Once I get them setup properly I'll give a complete run down of my thoughts.

It will definitely be tubes on top and ss on the bottom.

SWL doesn't feel he had a good Chorus II example, otherwise I'd hound him for his thoughts too.

I was pulling for the Chorus ll's because I wanted to replace my second pair of 30's with Chorus ll's and have both. I like the passive radiator thing. [Y] However, we both agreed that the 30's were far superior in virtually every aspect......which leads me to wonder if the Chorus ll's were in fact defective in some way or if the 30's were just that much better. As Stormin has found as well as my friend did.....not all 30's sound the same. Be it the age of the crossovers or just how hard the speakers were driven I don't know. The same may be true for the Chorus ll's....or all older Klipsch speakers for that matter? I do know that when the 30's are up to snuff with good amplification, they are darn hard to beat for the price. Very underrated to say the least.

I listened to 3 different pairs of KLF 30's and only liked the sound of the pair I bought so whatever that means.

With the other two pair, must have been their history. Maybe how they were used/abused.....?

Once I get them setup properly I'll give a complete run down of my thoughts.

Much appreciated, thanks!