RF-7 II How far from wall is the recommendation?

krell101

I am planning of upgrading my Martin Logan Montage and Cinema center channel after hearing and old Klipsch speakers.

My only problem now I have a stage on my Home theater and I can only place the speaker 3-4 inches from the wall.

Anyone know how this would affect the speaker performance?

Still deciding whether to get the RF-82 II or just go with the RF-7II using the RC-64 II center.

Thanks in advance!

I think it depends on how loud you play them. Mine are 22/24 inches form the back wall. And I notice a difference in bass if they are closer. Cleaner, louder, further out, these speakers really push some air. Might depend on type of wall or panels back there too. Mine is sheet rock on studs.

Mine are even with the center RC64 at across and height wise for the horns.

@Krell101, In simple terms, the woofer cone (in this case 2 x 10" woofers) while producing sound waves move the air in front of it and then for the given frequency of sound it is futher helped by air behind the woofer cone moving out of the speaker through the rear ports. While not going into the details of how those frequency waves amplitude gets added etc., as you decrease the distance between the speaker's rear port and rear wall the bass becomes boomier (some people refers to being not natural) and vice versa. I think, I replied to one of your post and in our case we found 10" from the wall as sweet spot. Ours is carpetted area and it might be a different case with a cement floor, tiled floor, type of rear wall, room size etc..

RF-7 II versus RF-82 IIs: We have had an opportunity to audition RF-62, RF-82, RF-63, RF-83, RF-62 II, and RF-82 II. I liked RF-83s, but couldn't decide at that time and then gotten busy with work. Couldn't resist with RF-7 IIs and we love every minute of it! IMHO, not looking into bass performance of woofer drivers of these two speakers, there is a another huge difference between either of RF-82s with RF-7 IIs due to 1" versus 1.75" horn. Also, 1.75" horn of RC-64 II is tonal/timbre matched with RF-7 II, while it may not be a case with RF-82 II's 1" horn. IMO, RF-7 II is really sweet sounding and tight bass thumping speaker.

Pite and everyone thanks for the advice! I will try to shop for the RF7 II and the RC64 II combo. With 3-4" of the wall hopefully it will work

Welcome to the forum krell101.

The RF-7 is rear-ported and if you are also close to a side wall 3" to 4" could cause some reverberation....If you aren't close to the side walls and divert the lower notes to a sub then you may not have a problem .