Which rec/amp would you buy?

Rocknon

Howdy Rocknon is back to ask a final question of his "advisors to sound",

I am thinking bout getting a full reference 3 serries

-2 RF-3 II(fronts)

-2 RS-3 II(surrounds)

-2 RC-3 II (center and rear center)

-SVS pci21-30 (sub)

If so I would need an amp/rec that covers 6.1 channel surround eh? If that is the case what kind of amp/rec do you guys suggest that would run somewhere around $600-$800

currently looking into the Denon AVR3802, Harman Kardon AVR, and the Yamaha RX-V3000 (little pricey)

~Rocknon~

This message has been edited by Rocknon on 04-29-2002 at 02:09 PM

rock, i'd get the one that sounds best to me w/ my stuff, in my home. Wink.gif if you have to shop by mail, i'd at least give more weight to pro reviewers such as at sound&vision, home theater & hi-fi, etc. most if not all have web sites. of course doin a survey of owner's opinions is fine2 but objectivity is key. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Well, I have the Harman Kardon AVR 520 and I can testify it sounds great with the exact same set of speakers you have. Ya, I know my sig shows I have RF7 and RC7. But that's cause I just upgraded.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-7 Front floors

RC-7 Center

RS-3II Surrounds (My update to RS-7)

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Yes but, they are not powered. I am faced with that delima right now. HK does have two amps listed on their AMP web site. I was considering the PA 2000. I am not going to worry about a rear channel. Not right now anyway. Perhaps in six or seven months down the road... Eh, but then I was not going to upgrade my speakers either. cwm20.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-7 Front floors

RC-7 Center

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-29-2002 at 04:17 PM

Here I go again, talking up Marantz. The SR19EX I own is 6.1 capable, and sounds great with my Reference 3 setup. It has 5 channels of ampification built in. Marantz also makes a line of relatively inexpensive monoblock amps that have received great reviews. If you want 6.1 or 7.1, I'd buy a pair of these connect them to the pre outs of the L/R channels of the receiver, and let the receiver's built in amps power the other channels of your HT setup.

By the way, given the limited availability of 6.1 or 7.1 DVD's, I wouldn't rush into setting up the additional rear channel(s). I've decided to wait until the software is more extensively available before I commit to the hardware expense.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

quote:

Originally posted by whell:

By the way, given the limited availability of 6.1 or 7.1 DVD's, I wouldn't rush into setting up the additional rear channel(s). I've decided to wait until the software is more extensively available before I commit to the hardware expense.

Yep, that's why I'm not too worried about it right now either.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-7 Front floors

RC-7 Center

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

even w/ 5.1 stuff the processor will generate a matrixed rear channel whether DD/dts 5.1, prologic or 5/6/7 channel (speaker) stereo. so still good w/ a rear center over here any which way.

i like marantz too (have an sr8000) & they also have a new line w/ a powered rear surround - models 4200-8200 (9200 has 7 powered channels). i heard a 6200 & it seemed to have that same marantz warmth that does well w/ klipsch. give 1 a demo at store &/or home. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

would the Marantz SR-6200 make a good amp/rec for this system?

-2 RF-3 II(fronts)

-2 RS-3 II(surrounds)

-2 RC-3 II (center and rear center)

-SVS pci21-30 (sub)

I am a newb to Home Theater design and sounds systems in general. So I will ask the newbie question... Will this Marantz function as both receiver and amp?

~Rocknon~

Rock-

I'd certainly look long and hard at the Denon 3802. It has 7-ch of amplification and should power those Ref's very nicely. Besides, the Denon has a great feature; 5-ch/7-ch stereo mode, so you can have the same source powering all your speakers; to me, it's the ultimate in music surround as I hate the changes most DSP modes add. Having that rear center just adds more tunes to listen to.

I certainly love my "classic" system with Forte IIs/ KG 1.2s/Academy/PW2200 run by the Denon AVR 4800/POA 5200 combo.

Boa's RIGHT ON with his comment that modern receivers translate all 5.1 source material into 6.1 (7.1) by creating a matrix from the rear 5.1 channels for the rear speakers.

This is particularly beneficial for those who want the accuracy of monopole speakers for Side-Surrounds and Rear Effects speakers... since the ambience effect benefits from working in concert with three (or four) speakers in the rear array.

With the ability to get instant rear channel gratification from matrixed 5.1 sources, 6.1 (or above) should be part of any new receiver decision. You'll be glad you did as soon as you play your first 5.1 DVD. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-03-2002 at 06:17 AM