Rf-82II vs RF7-II

krell101

Is it worth the $1300 upgrade?

If $$$ is not an issue, I say yes. If best bang for the buck is more important, the RF-82/82II is the clear winner. It has the dynamics and low end punch of a multiple large driver floorstander, plenty of detail while still remaining very smooth across the entire freq. band. What it does lack is the beautiful wood veneers and the "made in USA" claim, and the $$$$$$ price tag. Find a pair of used RF-83's, RF-63's or RF-7's and you get it all in one package at reasonable $$$'s.

Bill

Is it worth the $1300 upgrade? i am currenly using
A martin logan montage and cinema but recently heard
a ksf at friends house and was blown away by
the sound.

I’m obviously biased but I have owned both so I’ll give my
opinion. The rf-82ii is going to be more than enough for 95% of people, and are
amazing ht speakers. Value is tricky because everyone is different how they
would spend their money. There is always a better deal or better value around
the corner. So imo get what you want and can afford. Then find the best price
you can get on it. Also try not to worry too much if there might be a better
dollar value out there because I can tell you right now there always will be.
If your cool buying used then willand is right you can get something close to
the rf-7ii for the cost of the rf-82ii new.

I went from RF82's to 63's and the RF7's in a short amount of time. The 82's in my bedroom sounded fine and were big step up from my FS3's. I think most people would be happy with the 82's. The RF63's are another step up from the 82's. The 63's and RF7's are very close in my book.

Never heard the 82's but from what I read they r great speakers. The 63's and 7ii's are very close and depending on the size of your room might not be different at all, with a small room u could actually b happy with rf62ii's. What size room do u have and r u going to b amping them?

Thanks for all your comments. My room size is 8ft ceiling 13X23 ft room dimension.

My only concern now before I purchase is the speaker will be too close to the wall only 3"-4"

because of the stage im building for the theater. The back port air might be a concern being too close to the wall.

I created another thread about the wall to speaker spacing.

@Krell101, all I can say that in my case (14' x 24' x 9' room) the front RF-7 IIs sounded best when they were 10" away from the back wall. It sounded little too boomy when they were 5" from back wall. Yeah...I had moved these monsters every week for first four weeks before settling on their current location!