Should I trade my Cornwalls for La Scalas?

jeff spicoli

I posted a couple years back about my new Cornwalls that I got and I received great support and feedback. I ended up getting new tweeters from Crites and they sound amazing. I listen to them everyday. The serial numbers are CWL 8451107 and 08. They are the best sounding speakers I have ever listened to. I am powering them with Pioneer sx1250.

I have an chance to trade the Cornwalls and a pair of 5.2's and 3.5's for a pair of all original birch La Scala's from 1984. My living room where the La Scalas will be placed is huge!!!! Its an older house, but it was remodled a few years back and they added 1/3 of the house to have as a living room!!!

I'v always wanted a pair of La Scalas and these are 80 miles away. What do you guys think? Is it one of those things where I ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers? I'd like to just keep the Cornwalls and just trade and throw some cash in the deal, but I dont have much money now. I dont know how fond of the birch I'll be either, but I just love my Cornwalls. Decisions, decisions!!!

Ditto on the above comment.

I'm a Lascala user and I'll tell you flat out if you really like the Cornwall sound and you have to trade or get rid of the Corns to try the Lascalas then I say don't do it.

The Lascalas have the advantage in the mid range since they have a larger mid range horn, Both speakers share the same tweeter. Where the huge difference will be is in the low end... The Cornwall puts out bass in gobs... The Lascala put out a superior bass from a accurate tight perspective but it does not go as low, not even close. So if you like your low end bass then stick with the Cornwalls. Folded horn bass is way different. I love it but it doesn't mean you will.

Now if you can either try before you buy or buy with out first selling the Corn's then go for it.

I listen to ALL tpes of music and i listen to records and cd's. I love jazz performers like Jimmy Smith, Hank Mobley, John Coltrane and Lee Morgan. I love Howlin Wolf and Merle Haggard, Led Zeppelin to The Clash and also love Death Metal. There is really nothing i dont listen to.

I do like the bass, but i have nothing to compare my Cornwalls to. I guess it all depends on the room and types of music??? right? Having said all that, which speaker do you think is the best overall???

I say yes but get a very good sub to go with the La Scalas. I have Forte's and Chorus IIs and if a pair of La Scala's became available and I could trade with some

cash added I would do it. The midrange horn on the La Scala is outstanding and the bass it puts out, though not very low, is more then solid.

• Moderators

I say yes but get a very good sub to go with the La Scalas. I have Forte's and Chorus IIs and if a pair of La Scala's became available and I could trade with some
cash added I would do it. The midrange horn on the La Scala is outstanding and the bass it puts out, though not very low, is more then solid.

[Y]

I say YES do it...........then buy or build a nice sub, if diy you don't need to spend alot, $250 for drivers and nice wood, a little more $100-$150 if you need an amp for the sub, and that will be plenty sub for a BIG room.

There many different subs you could build, I gave you a price on one like I use, it will work for a big room, it keeps up with MWM's easily in a 24' x 36' room, I don't ues it at half volume with a little 170 wpc plate amp.

LaScalas + sub = [:D]

• Moderators

should i come up with more money and just keep either the 5.2's or 3.5's.

That's up to you, do you use them ? It would depend on how much $ your talking about and if you want them for something else ? If you DON'T use or want them sell them and use the money to build a sub ?

Only you can answer that. [:P]

I got the 3.5's about 7 years ago...they were my first pair that got me hooked on klipsch. I just recently got the 5.2's about 2 months ago. I never use both pairs since i have the cornwalls and i dont have much money in either pair. I think i have about $200 in both pairs of speakers. The trade would involve all 3 pairs....i was thinking maybe i ought to keep 1 pair and put some money in the deal to make up for the speakers that I keep.

• Moderators

i was thinking maybe i ought to keep 1 pair and put some money in the deal to make up for the speakers that I keep.

What ever you feel comfortable with, it's not like you would need a sub immediately, but after Cornwalls you would want one eventually. A second pair of speakers may come in handy in another room ?

I got the 3.5's about 7 years ago...they were my first pair that got me hooked on klipsch. I just recently got the 5.2's about 2 months ago. I never use both pairs since i have the cornwalls and i dont have much money in either pair. I think i have about $200 in both pairs of speakers. The trade would involve all 3 pairs....i was thinking maybe i ought to keep 1 pair and put some money in the deal to make up for the speakers that I keep.

That sound like a good plan.

Another vote for La Scalas. I've never heard a speaker like the La Scala, fully horn loaded is something you only appreciate when you hear it. If they have the original crossovers, you may need to contact Bob Crites again. I replaced my 1979 originals with Crites Type A/AA convertible and the difference was very noticeable.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

i was thinking maybe i ought to keep 1 pair and put some money in the deal to make up for the speakers that I keep.

What ever you feel comfortable with, it's not like you would need a sub immediately, but after Cornwalls you would want one eventually. A second pair of speakers may come in handy in another room ?

I always thought an MWM or 2 would be the appropriate sub for the LaScala for when just having a high slew rate in your amp is never enough.

I have read that Cornwalls are a great rock speaker. But what types of music sound best on the La Scalas?

I guess it really dosent matter when it comes down to it, but since Ive never owned a pair I was just curious??? I guess music without much bass??? right??

Jazz trios are fantastic on them.

If you are handy with wood and have access to tools, build yourself a horn-loaded or tapped-horn sub and don't even consider direct radiators from brand names. It will be a much better match to the La Scala and very affordable (except for the time invested). My avatar is a Tuba HT under construction. Another more recent design is the Cinema F-20 that is probably easier to build and digs a deep deeper (google for it on AVS).

I second what NOSvalves said. I have had Lascalas & Khorns & still use the Cornwalls.Your ears & your room will be the deciding factor.

"I'm a Lascala user and I'll tell you flat out if you really like the
Cornwall sound and you have to trade or get rid of the Corns to try the
Lascalas then I say don't do it."

"Now if you can either try before you buy or buy with out first selling the Corn's then go for it."

Good luck

• Moderators

I always thought an MWM or 2 would be the appropriate sub for the LaScala for when just having a high slew rate in your amp is never enough.

Tha would definitely give them more bass, but they can't do what a sub does. We use a tapped horn sub with the MWM's with the crossover set at 40, which is the lowest that plate amp will go. The sub amp volume is set to about 11 O'Clock and is plenty enough with the MWM's is plenty of bass, sometimes turn it do lower than that.

Tha would definitely give them more bass, but they can't do what a sub does. We use a tapped horn sub with the MWM's with the crossover set at 40, which is the lowest that plate amp will go. The sub amp volume is set to about 11 O'Clock and is plenty enough with the MWM's is plenty of bass, sometimes turn it do lower than that.

The Tapped horn has often been in my radar as a LFE. I have also considered the possibility of a longer MWM by folding it back on itself extending it's length and mouth size. I keep seeing the ceiling as a wasted space when you could sacrifice a bit of height and build in a nice LFE horn.