Should I trade my Cornwalls for La Scalas?

jeff spicoli

I second what NOSvalves said. I have had Lascalas & Khorns & still use the Cornwalls.Your ears & your room will be the deciding factor.

"I'm a Lascala user and I'll tell you flat out if you really like the

Cornwall sound and you have to trade or get rid of the Corns to try the

Lascalas then I say don't do it."

"Now if you can either try before you buy or buy with out first selling the Corn's then go for it."

Good luck

This is 100% commonsense advice. Its totally personal. For me the horn loaded bass is a more accurate reproduction of the original source and the speed of a horn is all important. I install hotel live band and DJ systems and 4 of the Klipsch KPT-684 dual 18 bass reflex cabinets all pressed tightly together each driven by 3,200 watt bridged amps for extra headroom, take breath produce extended bass that makes you wonder if you will continue to live. I still prefer my LaScala just as they are with the original K33 drivers on my classA 80 watt/ch amplifier. When I get my jubs then I expect they will become my favorite. The KPT-684 doesnt have the speed I personally prefer. Back in the 70s when the earthquake movie first came out the Sydney cinema brought in some very large Cerwin Vega bass horns and that really worked for me. The sharp hit by a truck explosive smack in the body of a horn is accurate for me, where as the bass reflex is always a bit round and late with the bass for me.

Maintenance is basically capacitor replacement in the crossover. You can take this further as many people do. The deal breaker in my opinion is cabinet condition relative to the price. You could Biamp the LaScala with a new Tractrix horn and driver as I am considering for my 1976 LaScala and in this case the Cabinet and the K33 woofer are the most important components.

I say yes but get a very good sub to go with the La Scalas. I have Forte's and Chorus IIs and if a pair of La Scala's became available and I could trade with some
cash added I would do it. The midrange horn on the La Scala is outstanding and the bass it puts out, though not very low, is more then solid.

Yes

I say YES do it...........then buy or build a nice sub, if diy you don't need to spend alot, $250 for drivers and nice wood, a little more $100-$150 if you need an amp for the sub, and that will be plenty sub for a BIG room.

There many different subs you could build, I gave you a price on one like I use, it will work for a big room, it keeps up with MWM's easily in a 24' x 36' room, I don't ues it at half volume with a little 170 wpc plate amp.

LaScalas + sub = Big Smile

So I take it your subs would also keep up with Jubs ?

How low do they go and where could I find the plans . Right now I am using a RSW-15

• Moderators

Hz

So I take it your subs would also keep up with Jubs ?

How low do they go and where could I find the plans . Right now I am using a RSW-15

Yes someone is using them with Jubs, he built two for stereo, that was my plan also and really like the first one, I might build another, one day but I don't feel it's needed, it's better than I expected.

It says 19Hz ? There is a thread around here somewhere where I built one ( i think ) but I know there are others threads, with a link to another forum also with pics. Will try to find it

Never got to hear a RSW 15, but everything I remember reading about it was really good, I think it was there last 15" sub?