Denon 5803 or Marantz SR-9200

USparc

A friend of me wants to buy one of those (European models).

Now he has the Denon 5800 (European model).

Has anyone compared them?

Any opinions are welcome.

Special attention should be given to

- the layout, build quality (SR-9200)

- and even more the sound quality

- the fan (does it run and noise)(SR-9200)

I put the "(SR-9200)" because I know that the layout isn't that what it is like in the Denon, but the sound would be better then the Denon.

Also the fan issue is for the SR-9200 because the fans in the Denon doesnt run.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

u, i compared a denon 3300 w/ a marantz sr8000 & went w/ the marantz. due mainly to my tastes & equipment (klf-30 mains). haven't heard either of those models & they are using different dacs & such. but my hunch is you'll get a noticable sound dif between the 2 & of course dif in features.

really the only way to choose for u is to demo them w/ your stuff at your place. you may notice a sound dif too but which you prefer there is hard to say.

the consensus seems to be that marantz are warmer (to marantz owners/dealers), fuzzy (to denon owners/dealers). denon are bright (to marantz owners/dealers), crystal clear (to denon owners/dealers).

see what i mean? Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-30-2002 at 10:54 AM

Listen to both before you buy, preferably on equipment and speakers that are at least similar to the equipment that will be connected to the receivers in your set up at home.

Second, contact a local repair electronics shop and ask which brand they repair most frequently between the two manufacturers.

Let these two factors be the ones that help you make your decision. FYI: when I undertook this same exercise, I ended up with a Marantz receiver. I gave up some features (most of which, quite frankly, I never would have used), but I now own a very well designed, very reliable unit with excellent audio and HT reproduction.

Also, I won both the SR19EX receiver and Marantz's MM9000 amp. I hear no fan noise from either unit.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

• 8 months later...