Cableman trying to rob me again..AND NOW AGAIN

CAKE

The cable company is changing their name and their transmission to "all digital". All you have to do is install the new box that they will give you free! Sounds good so far, heck they will even give you 3 free boxes, and access to the latest digital transmission signal! Great sign me up, I have never been happier......

Wait a minitue where are my local HD stations, I really liked watching "Antique Roadshow" in HiDef, but more than that I REALLY like watching the NFL in HiDef.

The cable company has hijacked my HiDef local stations with their little "blackmail- extortion box", and now want an extra 10$ per TV per month for me to watch the locals in HiDef. Outrageous, another service provider offering a lesser service for more money.

I know I know, I know Switch providers... not so simple. I need SE exposure for a Sat signal, and my exposure is blocked by a 4 story building facade.

I am fighting back and they are not getting another cent!!! The locals are OTA FREE and my homemade antenna set me back about $4. PERFECT 1080 reception !!! This one is pretty ugly, so I will be in the shop (better know by some as the speaker spa) to make a purdy one to hang on the wall.

I fought the man and I won.

If you need an antenna. Google seach, or email me for the specs

post-46049-13819660169384_thumb.jpg

• Haha 1

I get my local channels OTA for free (I am not going to pay the extra money that DirecTV wants to extort out of me, plus the quality is actually much better OTA than via satellite!). In fact, when my DVR/receiver died (the one with the built-in OTA receiver), DirecTV wanted to replace it with one of the new ones without the OTA receiver, so I made them supply me (for free) the add-on OTA module. After having the new deck built (which is where I had the satellite dish mounted), I needed a technition to come out and repoint the dish for me (after I've remounted it on the corner of the new deck). He has never seen one of those OTA add-in modules before. He asked me what the heck was that I had stacked on top of my receiver and I told him what it was. I am actually kinda surprised a DirecTV tech did not know what one of those were. Apparently nobody asks for them or <conspiracy_theory>DirecTV would rather try to keep people from knowing so they can upsell the local channels for a monthly fee instead of people getting them off the air.</conspiracy_theory>

In my case, when I bought this house, it already had this huge roof antenna, so I kept it and it still works perfectly! I am able to pick up every darn channel out of D.C. and on good days, even Baltimore! The only downside is that when the previous owner installed it, they did not put a rotator on it, thus it is fixed towards point to D.C. Would be nice to be able to turn it around and pick up the Richmond channels as well at will. When I had the all this exterior work done the previous fall, the contractor wanted to take it down. I told him hell no! I still use it to get local High Def TV. He honestly did not realize that you could pick up HD TV with those things, until I showed him. He was floored by the picture quality on my big 55-inch Mitsu TV. When all the new siding was all done, he told me that this is the first time in quite a few years that he actually PUT UP an antenna! Everybody else that he delt with asked to have them to be taken down.

I've seen that same type of antenna that you made before. Pretty cool what a few dollars and a couple hours of time will do.

We must not continue to be BAMBOOZLED by the providers, they don't give a darn because they know how easy it is to wrench a few extra bucks out of everybody. I figured that here in the Houston metroplex if there are 500,000 subscribers paying $20 extra per month = $120,000,00 per year!

NOT EXACTLY CHUMP CHANGE

And you are exactly right the PICTURE QUALITY OTA IS MUCH BETTER than what the Satelite or Cable companies "will" deliver, because by law they are allowed to DEGRADE THE QUALITY 30%.

This remixing of the signal allows them more space in the bandwidth (errr) more channel options (errr) more subscription options (errr) more cash!

and how often have you looked at your channel line and thought "I really want that 1 channel but its on the next tier subscription"

And if you really want the best quality and selection, I have heard that the old "C" band dish (the old 5 footers) get their feed directly from the "main" satelites that have not been compressed. The neighbors would think you fell off your rocker if they saw a "C" band dish being installed!

But they all think youre crazy anyway when you invite them over for a beer, BBQ and a listen to your new tube amp or turntable.....

You know they talk............ "Did you know that Ty still has vinyl records"............ "yeah he's kinda weird that way"

• Like 1

This subject was discussed here a coupla years ago. The OTA signal is not compressed as is cable and satellite. I bought one of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10901&cs_id=1090102&p_id=4730&seq=1&format=2#description for my Dad a couple of years ago and the OTA picture was better than his satellite service.

Keith

Perfect ! a $20 antenna! Anyone out there with DTV signal being hijacked or those of you that want to see that the providers are "altering" your signal.

I tend toward DIY to keep my mind and hands busy. It helps keep my brain busy and my butt outta the chair, while I can still listen to KLIPSCH![:D]

• Like 1

The OTA live news broadcasts are spectacular in my area. Since my tastes are PBS Nova, Antiques Roadshow, Nightly Business Report and older programs---Gunsmoke, Beverly Hillbillies, Hogans Heros, Mash, Sarsky & Hutch, Lucy, I Spy, Rawhide, Three Stooges, Benny Hill, NFL fottball, Baseball, Golf, I have no inclanation for cable or satellite.

JJK

Loved me some OTA in Atlanta but down here ummm I rarely watch the locals. Fox gave me the waiver so I could get HD the other networks would not give the waiver.

At the 'other house' I use a DB-4 ( link ) , Rat Shack VHF for the FM and combined them with a Channel Master CM7777 amp. Worked like a champ!

Ty, you could bring a copy with you to see if it works here [;)]

I am drawn to the locals in the morning to find out where the traffic is and it seems to be everywhere ....all the time....and then there is the weather and it seems to be HOT and DRY, so dry actually that everyone on the gulf coast wanted the tropical storm to come their direction... and lets not forget NFL in HD, I cringe at the thought of 480 football

Mike, I will do. I am making several antennas (antenni) for the neighbors and am going to put 1 on my trailer for football camping and tailgating. I will have a camping trailer with HD and Klipsh[H]

• Like 1

I am drawn to the locals in the morning to find out where the traffic is and it seems to be everywhere ....all the time....and then there is the weather and it seems to be HOT and DRY, so dry actually that everyone on the gulf coast wanted the tropical storm to come their direction... and lets not forget NFL in HD, I cringe at the thought of 480 football

Tell me about it! In fact, it was a football game that happened to be on that I showed when people did not believe me that I could pick up HD with the roof antenna. In fact, it was after watching a Superbowl in full HD TV that convinced one of my friends (actually his wife. She kepted going on and on about how you could see EVERYTHING so clearly, even right down to the individual blades of grass in the field) to upgrade their's to HD. That is one of the reasons why I am also using that add-on OTA module with me DirecTV receiver, in that the DVR functionality will also work with the local OTA. Yes, I like to still watch The Price Is Right as well as sometimes catch the local news and a few other shows now and again. The PBS channel is just absolutly STUNNING here in full HD on the ariel.

Pretty cool that you are going to rig up a camper trailer with Klipsch and HD TV! That will be pretty sweet for the football tailgating.

Now that I've finished the shelf antenna, and sat down to flip a little toob, BY GOD THEY HAVE DONE IT AGAIN...TWICE in 1 week.

Now that have knocked out A&E, CNN, TNT, AMC, SCFY + the original punch in the gut of stealing the Local HD on Tuesday!!!

These guys are unbelievable

I know this is a Klipsch[:P] and audio forum, but audio / video are related cousins and anyone else out there on the CoCastic/ Xfinite networks will be experiencing these same problems

BCrites fought UPS and won and got his refund, so I am hoping to do the same!

• Like 1

Aren't the old C band satellite dishes kinda useless for many channels as the majority of the feeds are now encrypted by the cable/ sat providers?

Actually on the C band networks you get the same feed as the cable / dish companies, before they have a chance to compress it. You get the whole uncompressed feed, and much more selection.

• Like 1

I know this is a KlipschStick out tongue and audio forum, but audio / video are related cousins and anyone else out there on the CoCastic/ Xfinite networks will be experiencing these same problems

Understandable. Hell, I run everything, including "regular TV" through my rig, even the evening news.

But yeah, there is a reason why we call it "Comcrap" around here. Quite a few folks where dumping them around here and getting DirecTV instead, or jump to Verizon FiOS when it becomes available. I am hoping they will get FiOS here in this neighborhood. I am still using Comcast for my internet access, but I am getting my TV through DirecTV with the locals coming in through the roof antenna.

And now they ripped some more channels...

So, they stole The NBC HD, ABC HD, CBS HD, FOX HD, + the other local HD

Then they took: A & E, CNN, TNT

AND NOW THEY TOOK: FX, COM, BET, TBS, FNC

WHATS NEXT HIST, ESPN, DISC

I've done some research now and it turns out that in 2008 the cable companies wanted a waiver from the FCC to allow for an all digital signal, and to require end users to install a DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) or as others more acuratly call it a DIGITAL TO ANALOG. This device basically makes my digital tuner in my TV useless. And because the networks charge the cable companies 60 cents per subscriber to retransmit the HD broadcast, the cable company bundles that into the premium subscriptions. So unless your are willing to pay for more service than you want you get screwed. Now the cable company is trying to extort money by witholding channels that were originally offered in lower packages...Breach of contract? Failure to provide services...Who reads the fine print...I know somewhere there is a clause "We reserve the right to change anything at anytime"

Well consider it lesson learned. Next time I review a contract for service I will "X" out anything I don't like and have the company rep sign it. If they don't I will take my buisness elsewhere.

I would say on average we sit down to TV less than 10 hours a week, except during the cold moths of Football. So, I am not intrested in paying for TV that I don't use......I will be watching HD football OTA this year ...the cable company can K#*S *& *&$%^)(&*^&* ^& #5&^% *&S

If anyone is intrested in a OTA HD antenna parts package PM or email to trail.mail008@gmail.com

Thanks to all for letting me vent,

Ty

• Like 1