Cornwalls with Heresy's?

jtinc

Hi everyone. I have a set of Cornwalls that I have a set of Omi (Out of the back of the white van) speakers sitting on top of, set sideways. This added a little something to the music, that makes it more enjoyable for me. Much of the rock, and some blues still dont sound right. I have heard a set of Heresy's play rock awesomely years ago, and am wondering if i could substitute Heresy"s for the Omni's, and still set them up on top, sideways. what I am trying to accomplish is for the Heresy's to pick up what the Cornwalls are lacking for me when it comes to playing rock and blues. Anybody ever heard thes two together stacked this way.

Would stacking the Heresy on it's side take anything away from the music, or would it be better to stack upright, and or next to the corns?

As of now I am running the speakers with a Hitachi sr-704 reciever 40wpc, which by the way sounds way better, and just as loud than any of the 3, 5.1 systems i used that were rated very high with much higher wpc in front channel.

Next week i will be using a Kenwood kr 9G. I know someone will say to get a tube amp. One day, but not now

Thank you for your responses

what I am trying to accomplish is for the Heresy's to pick up what the Cornwalls are lacking

I dont think that is going to happen.

I use a pair of heresys (set inside) with cornwalls because I want to generate a wall of sound as opposed to distinctive right and left channels, but the heresys dont "improve" the sound quality of the cornwalls in my humble O

Playing with this doesn't cost anything, so I say: Do it.

A buddy of mine (Bob L) ran CW's stacked with the upper unit up-side-down. He liked it. I suspect it was at the instigation of Max Potter.

You could try something like this with Heresy on top.

WMcD

Despite the majority of information offered to the contrary -- such as comb filtering issues, etc., -- I stacked a pair of Heresies, the top cabinet upside down as mentioned above, and loved the way it sounded. If I remember, this was awhile back, I also experimented with disconnecting one of the tweeters, for a sort of variation on the MTM D'applitio (apologies for the likely incorrect spelling of his name.......I was just reading an article by him yesterday) array.

Sometimes all the testing and intellectualizing of what is ultimately an emotional experience and reaction does not equate with tested response. I've heard components with pristine specifications and ruler flat response that either were painful to listen to or simply just not very interesting or involving. Sometimes little peaks here and there, which some designer actually strive for, can bring some excitement and realism to the presentation.

Have fun with it and experiment

Erik

Despite the majority of information offered to the contrary -- such as comb filtering issues, etc., -- I stacked a pair of Heresies, the top cabinet upside down as mentioned above, and loved the way it sounded.

Sometimes all the testing and intellectualizing of what is ultimately an emotional experience and reaction does not equate with tested response. [Y]

Have fun with it and experiment

Erik

First for Schu.... You are generally correct in that it won't "work" very well when the Heresy's are "inboard" from the left and right main speakers. The exception to that is that if the Heresy's are at least 24" off the ground, and not more than about ~36" ~48" apart (The 36-48 Rule). Then it will work. sorta.

However, what does seem to work (provided they are powered by a separate amplifier) is when the Heresy's are stacked on top of the Cornwalls, Klipschorns, LaScalas, etc.

The other "interesting" thing is that a pair of Belles, LaScalas, or Cornwalls (in that order of what seems to work best), and when following the Separate Amp and the 36-48 Rule, will work very well as a "dual" center. I've been playing with that type of horizontal array since the early 70's and pretty much have come to the conclusion about the "rules".....

Where the "dual center" shines, is when a pair of Heresy's are stacked on K'horns in the corners (Separate Amp Rule applies for that). Wall of Voodoo visitors can attest to the efficacy of that configuration. The downside is you have to really know how to adjust the 3 amps separately to get it to work correctly. It tales me about a minute to set it correctly, and about 2 seconds to adjust the upper L/R and center amps for different music types, etc.

[H]