Sound doesn't match video?!

TurboGen

I have a nice set of klipsch towers nd bookshelves hooked up with an Onkyo TX receiver.

My receiver auto adjusts the sound (-) or (+) db's to "match" sound with video.... But how can I adjust this in my settings? It is too far off.. I think it shows up " - 4 dB "

Any help, THANKS!

What soes the TX manual say? If there's no reference to adjustment, call Onkyo and see what they say. Mine in the living room and bedroom are 705's, and I use the HDMI from DTV to the reciever, then video out by way of HDMI to the TV. Audio is "out", but TV is set to "0".

Interestingly, when DTV first started the HDMI broadcasts, it was awful. Like watching the cheap kung-fu flicks with really bad lip synch.... But about a year ago (probably because everyone who was a DTV customer was screaming bloody blue murder..) they changed the signal feed, and it's now not detectable.

I know that to have everything "synched", the source to receiver to TV has to be identical HDMI cables (V1.2 are the best). You cannot mix RGB component sound with HDMI video without correction to that problem on many receivers and TV's.

[H]

What soes the TX manual say? If there's no reference to adjustment, call Onkyo and see what they say. Mine in the living room and bedroom are 705's, and I use the HDMI from DTV to the reciever, then video out by way of HDMI to the TV. Audio is "out", but TV is set to "0".

Interestingly, when DTV first started the HDMI broadcasts, it was awful. Like watching the cheap kung-fu flicks with really bad lip synch.... But about a year ago (probably because everyone who was a DTV customer was screaming bloody blue murder..) they changed the signal feed, and it's now not detectable.

I know that to have everything "synched", the source to receiver to TV has to be identical HDMI cables (V1.2 are the best). You cannot mix RGB component sound with HDMI video without correction to that problem on many receivers and TV's.

Cool

Well i found "Lip Sync" but its only available in HDMI settings.. Im not using my Receiver via HDMI... my Receiver is being used for ONLY Audio. no video..

But i did happen to catch that when i change the source it says

"Dialogue Norm (- 4 db)"

....so basically my sound is off from the video i guess by "- 4 db" which doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me... but its quite annoying..

Dialogue Normalization has nothing to do with the audio sync issue. You need to read your manual or hope other Onkyo users can point you in the right direction of your receiver settings. Sorry to sound harsh but I dont know what Onkyo uses as far as terminology for the sync issue. My Denon uses the term "audio delay" to adjust for audio sync issues. This is in addition to HDMI auto lip sync correction. Good luck.

I have a nice set of klipsch towers nd bookshelves hooked up with an Onkyo TX receiver. My receiver auto adjusts the sound (-) or (+) db's to "match" sound with video.... But how can I adjust this in my settings? It is too far off.. I think it shows up " - 4 dB " Any help, THANKS!

I FIX. Turn off de picture, enjoy the sound. Read book and listen to music, or turn off all de lights and enjoy music. TV evil ! No watch evil TV

Do you have Dish network? If so this is a known issue with some receivers and software versions. Unplug your receiver, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. That should fix it. Upgrades eventually happen automatically over the air and wil make it go away.

Dialogue Normalization has nothing to do with the audio sync issue. You need to read your manual or hope other Onkyo users can point you in the right direction of your receiver settings. Sorry to sound harsh but I dont know what Onkyo uses as far as terminology for the sync issue. My Denon uses the term "audio delay" to adjust for audio sync issues. This is in addition to HDMI auto lip sync correction. Good luck.

What is dialogue normalization?

Dialog(or Dialogue) Normalization is when the system tries to make sure that the audio, specifically the center or main vocal channel is always a similar volume, hence the -4dB setting you have seen.

Different + or - dB settings represent changes in volume not time, if you are having trouble with the sound matching up(syncing) with the video then you are looking for either delay or sync settings, normally these settings are listed as being a + or - in Milleseconds, abbreviated as ms.

-Josh