Heresy II: KP-201's just purchased, a few questions please

Dingman

Greets people.

I've been lurking here for quite awhile but have just registered. I really don't have much high end audio experience\knowledge but I have no problem reading up on topics of asking for help when I needed.

I have just purchased a pair of KP-201's that were manufactured in 2003, according to the fellow I bought them from (from CL). This was the third pair he had sold, he had gotten them from a church that apprently didn't like the acoustics and didn't use them for long. The seller didn't use them much, as he had some Corns, khorns and at least one set of H1's.

At any rate, I was in the mood to upgrade my 30 yr old poor quality stereo with something I'd be able to keep for another 30 years and have better performance than that other crap I had (low end Bose, Technics).

Well, at first I was just thinking music and bought a set of KLF-20's and a newer Marantz amp. Took a bit of tuning (I've learned alot in the last few months about stereo setup) but they sound great and really rock, while being able to handle some light jazz without muddling it all up. No questions on this, at this time.

Then, decided I needed a decent of speakers for music in the "man cave". I have a smallish HT setup down there, but it's not good at music, not like I like it.

Thus, the KP-201 purchase. I have read all the KP-201\250 posts I could find here. I think I understand the majority of the differences between the Heresy models. But being the type of guy that needs to know completely obscure facts that will never do me any good, I'm find myself wanting to ask...

1) These speakers were "mounted" at some point, is that what this now-filled-in hole is in the back panel? (refer to pics)

2) After taking the pics, I noted 4 screws in the bottom of the enclosure, is this specific to this "pro" model or standard? (there's other pics on this site showing these screws)

3) Seller said there's a "KLiP" circuit. I assume to protect the speakers from a clipping amp? Can anyone provide more info on this?

Last question, and it might seem ridiculous to you guys. So, after setting up the KP-201's for music in the basement (trying to locate an old Marantz 2230 I used to have), would it make sense to set them up as the front main's in a 5.1 setup? Hook them to the Onkyo-something 5.1 reciever, it's got enough power. The reason I ask, while I was looking at Klipsch, someone offered up a new-ish RC3-II and 4 KSB 1.1's. Fairly cheap and so I have those in my possession also. Does it make any sense to try to use the 201's with those HT speakers?

Thanks in advance. I love looking\reading about all your guys's's's setups and modifications. I'm not afraid of modding or building things myself.

Wow, just checked my post preview - LOL, WTF happened to my paragraphs??? Man, if this board removes all formatting, I can see long posts will not be read, who would put themselves thru that? EDIT: I've tried all sorts of things to get my paragraphs back - nada.

EDIT: manual formatting.... GRRRRR!

post-52186-13819660645224_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!!

1) These speakers were "mounted" at some point, is that what this now-filled-in hole is in the back panel?

That would likely be the case as there was probably a chain or cable to "tilt" them.

2) After taking the pics, I noted 4 screws in the bottom of the enclosure, is this specific to this "pro" model or standard?

Two possibilities; first, they were screwed to a platform or board when "hung", or more likely, they had a "riser" which you did not get when you purchased them.

3) Seller said there's a "KLiP" circuit. I assume to protect the speakers from a clipping amp? Can anyone provide more info on this?

The 201's used a heavy duty crossover circuit to prevent overpowering damage. As far as "KLiP" circuit as named, that sounds funny.... See below.

Last question, and it might seem ridiculous to you guys. So, after setting up the KP-201's for music in the basement (trying to locate an old Marantz 2230 I used to have), would it make sense to set them up as the front main's in a 5.1 setup? Hook them to the Onkyo-something 5.1 reciever, it's got enough power.

Use them as mains to start with until you have played around with their position, etc. Ideally a pair of 301's would be the mains and the 201's would then be the surrounds/ rears.

Send a pm to colterphoto1 on the Forum; Mike is a great guy and can really detail what you have and how to use them.

[H]

Thanks much for reply. And you got the formatting to work! Wow, I feel like a dummy, LOL.

Congrats on the speakers!

They look beautiful and kinda mean all at once.

(I am a Heresy nut; can you tell?)

Yes you could use those other speakers as surrounds, but you will want a more timbre matched center.

(KLF C7, Academy or KV 4 will all provide good to great results; or a 3rd Heresy which is the best option actually; but hardest to accomidate for many).

As for formatting; what OS and browser do you use?

I use Windows XP and 7 with IE 8 and formatting is WYSIWYG.

If using a mac; or cell phone; it often will not support this formatiing.

Good Luck!

Thanks... I'll consider the 3rd heresy for center. Buy two more, sell one off to someone else who wants a single.

Ya, I didn't know what to call it but it sure seems obvious that mixing up the HT speakers with the HII's wouldn't work well. I'll still try it out but I'll bet it'll sound funky.

Using Win7 with Chrome. From what I've read, if I switch to IE (cold day in he!!), it would work. I will try firefox tho.

Manually formatting now, LOL.

The other speakers (KSB 1.1s were they?) will be ok for surrounds.

Not excellent; but ok....

I am using SS3s for surrounds and they work really well with the Heresy Is I have.

The center channel is much more important. (Along with a good sub).

Enjoy!

PS.... I apologize; forgot to say Welcome to The Forum!

Using Win7 with Chrome. From what I've read, if I switch to IE (cold day in he!!), it would work. I will try firefox tho.

Firefox will work fine.

You can add the html tags for new paragraphs, that would be a < (less than) a 'p' and > (greater than) to insert a paragraph with chrome. Safari does the same thing on a Mac. If I have to do that, I usually copy and then paste as needed.

Beautiful speakers. Someone in the church probably didn't know what they were doing, and you get to benefit.

Bruce

Great forum, you all are quite helpful.

Using FF browser, so no more formatting issues.[8-|]

Yes Bruce, the church blessed me in this deal! (tho there was one other owner in between).

Short update, I have set up the speakers as front mains downstairs in the HT system. Re-calibrated (Onkyo Audessy) and right off the bat the HT sound was pretty good, certainly better than with the small PolK Audios' I had.

Music wasn't that good tho, sounded hollow. Tweaked that till it sounded better but then the HT got all boomy. Doesn't look like the Onkyo will let me setup seperate profiles, so I suspect I'll just be adjusting it back and forth for awhile.

Thanks again for the info you guys.

Thanks for the welcome!

Ya, using the KSB 1.1's for surround and they seem ok, but I don't have alot of experience. And the few friends I have who come over and watch\listen don't know either (a couple of them can't hear high frequencies at all anyway).

I also just installed that RC3-II, along with the Heresy's and the 1.1's, so it was all a step up. Happy with it, but I can see room for improvement and might change it all around again. [+o(]

As I've been reading lots and lots of posts here in the last few days, that seems to be the modius operandi, you people seem to also delight in changing things around alot. A long term static system just isn't that much fun, is it? [8-)]

My workaround for doing music and HT in the same system is to use 2 channel audio (or 2.1; with a sub) for music; and then the surround modes for HT.

I suggest spreading your Heresey speakers about 9 feet apart (or wider if your room is super big).

This will help define each speaker and they will image the sounds beautifully.

Toe them in slightly and experiment how close to the walls they are.

Also, if they have no risers; find a way to tilt them up slightly, so the mids and tweets are near ear level. (If sitting and standing; I say choose which you do more often and set them to that level when you tilt them).

Again; this will help image them.

Music in 2 channel on these should sound amazingly good. (See my pic)

As for your question; yes; it is fun to try different things. The beauty is; buying Klipsch used; you can buy them, try them and sell them for near the same price.

post-14727-1381966081283_thumb.jpg

Excellent advice Ironsave, I had totally missed actually changing the "listening mode", I was just changing speaker setups manually, doh!

So, I did find the "stereo" mode that just outputs in 2.1, so that's great. Working well. I didn't have the speakers raised much or tilted. So, using milk crates and cardboard (temporarily), I've got the heresy's more properly oriented.

If you look closely, I use rubber sanding blocks to tilt mine.

(They are curved on top and flat on the bottom).

Use small rags or something similar where they contact the wood to avoid any possible discoloration.

I prefer mine on the floor; tilted up. I suggest trying on the floor and up on stands to see which you like better.

You may spend some time tweaking this; but your ears will thank you.

Enjoy!

Seems I seen a 2230 in Eugene OR. Probably tooo far, and in used stereo shop. Between 1 & 200 somewhere. Don't remember the exact price but I can call. If I ask they usually will hold equip for me. Depending on how bad you want one, if its still there I could dicker, and ship at your expense. I would include receipt for your benefit. Going to Eugene next wk if your interested. As far away as you are, return might be difficult, not impossible, but shipping costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did snag a marantz 2230 cheap - but it needs some work, very dirty, buttons sticky, pots need cleaned. Probably some caps too.

In the meantime, I found a guy here in Iowa that bought some Marantz equip new in 1973. He's been the only owner and it appears it was well cared for. Tho clean, I suspect that these units are in need of a little TLC just due to age... I also didn't get them cheap, I did pay good money (tho way less than what's asked for on the page below).

Here's a link to another set of 3 (the exact same tuner, pre-amp & amp) that I just picked up this morning. So, these aren't mine but I'll post pics of mine when I get them inside (it's raining now).

http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/mz/1203300250.html