Heresy II: KP-201's just purchased, a few questions please

Dingman

• 3 weeks later...

So the important question is, how do the "new" Marantz sound?

I'm the one that sold you the speakers, I hope you like them. They are awesome and are close in close to new condition.

The screws are in the bottom becuase these KP-201s were made to mate with professional stands that Klipsch also sold. These were special ordered by a church without the stands, but the screws were still included, just not used. I hope you are enjoying them.

KLIP circuit is a polyswitch (ceramic disc cap looking thingie, usually orange) in the network that trips if overheated, then resets when things cool off, this is to protect the tweeter K79.

KP201 is basically H II components with a different network (a really nice one), and either rugged exterior of pebble paint, plastic corners, handle or in pretty cabinetry like yours that were used commercially. I've seen white, I have oak KP250's, never seen walnut like yours.

I prefer my 201's to 250 or HIP, the ported versions are loud but very lacking in bass.

Welcome to the Madness.

Michael

Thanks Colter, for the info. I did do the site-wide search but apparently I missed some threads, I'll back and check the commercial section.

Never hang them from the top or sides? Well then, that's exactly what happened to the "sister" set of these KP-201's. I checked out the bar that they went into, and they are hanging from eyebolts, which are attached to the side of the cabinet. I didn't look to closely, but I don't think they were supported from underneath.

Maybe I should double-check that and maybe give the owner a word of caution?

So the important question is, how do the "new" Marantz sound?

I'm the one that sold you the speakers, I hope you like them. They are awesome and are close in close to new condition.

The screws are in the bottom becuase these KP-201s were made to mate with professional stands that Klipsch also sold. These were special ordered by a church without the stands, but the screws were still included, just not used. I hope you are enjoying them.

Thanks again for the speakers, I am enjoying them quite a bit. In fact, much more than the KLF's at this point. I haven't been playing the KLF's so much because I do like my music fairly loud with some decent bass and I was able to get the KLF's to put out good bass - I cranked them up louder than normal a few months ago and discovered that loud music and fish in a nearby tank are not a good combination. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the loud music killed a couple of my fish. Since then, I've been really hesitant to crank up the KLF's at all.

But, never fear, I do have my priorities straight, the fish are looking for a new home![:S]

At any rate, I do remember you saying something about the holes\bolts in the bottom but forgot and so I'm glad to know (again) that I can use them for a base. I certainly need to check up on that, I currently have one speaker on a milk crate, the other on concrete blocks (was trying to see if I could detect "floor coupling", the difference between the plastic and concrete).

I started building a wood base but tho it looks like I have the height\tilt just right, I should have made it nearly match the surface area of the speaker, mine is only about 13" square. Doh! But I will build something, and then use the those screws on the bottom to mount.

To answer your question about the old Marantz... whew, I'm not sure what I think. The sound certainly is different than the new-ish Marantz 4023 , seems more muted. Or not as bright? And I do like bright.

At any rate, I turned to CL and bought what you saw above. The first 2230 is still dirty, got about half of it cleaned but more work to be done on that. I then picked up that integrated set, and the amp blew at least one output transistor on the left channel right away, during initial testing. The pre-amp and tuner do work properly. Haven't really tested the 4400 quad yet.

I know I'm getting a little wordy here, but I've moved the KP-201's in and out of a couple of rooms, tried them out with several different amps\recievers and so far, I can't say that I'm crazy about any the amps, but am having fun trying out different combo's. I really need to read up on pre & amp specs. Plus, I haven't heard the Marantz 250 amp at all, still need to order and replace the blown output transistors (I suppose I should replace both channels so they don't sound differently?).

Can't say that I care for a lot of
Marantz of that era, at least in the case of the tuner I would sell it
to some collector while there is still FM to listen to.

I just might do that. I have been able to play with the tuner some, and it doesn't seem to hold a signal or even sound the same as a couple of newer tuners (built into receivers) I have.

But it does look so sweet in the stack!

• 3 months later...

Just an update here...

Ironsave is exactly right about the KSB1.1's. They are a bit overpowered by the Heresey's (as front mains) and barely make it as surrounds. But my center is still the RC3II and it's not keeping up with the Heresey's either. But I've got it balanced out pretty well.