Has anyone thought of porting a.......

dhsettim

Has anyone (and I guess I mean DJK) thought of porting a Jubilee clone bass cabinet?

It seems to me that it is not dissimiliar (very roughly) to the La Scala bass bin and DJK has described successfully porting that speaker.

Just thinking.......

regards,

tim

Thanks for the comments guys,

I had forgotten about the passive radiator versions when I posed my question. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of DJK's mod to the La Scala bass bin as I understand the back chamber of that (and the Khorn) are marginal in volume. I thought maybe the Jubilee back chamber might also be improved.

cheers

tim

I had forgotten about the passive radiator versions when I posed my question. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of DJK's mod to the La Scala bass bin as I understand the back chamber of that (and the Khorn) are marginal in volume. I thought maybe the Jubilee back chamber might also be improved.

cheers

tim

I'm curious how big of a difference the passive would make but only one way to find out.... SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that I'm not sure how much more can be done to improve the jubilee.

The Search feature is great. So much info that has been gathered and is available to all that look. those that ask will get the current thinking but there seems to be more available if we just look.

I searched on

Jubilee AND port

with this I found drone

so I searched for

Jubilee AND drone

this found

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/77082/761348.aspx#761348

Good reading and great insite.

Thank you Seti for getting the discussion going previously.

The problem with rear porting on a horn is that the port SPL is a function of driver excursion. When you've got 110dB coming out of a horn that provides 10dB of gain, the port will only be putting out 100dB. If you aligned the port tuning to where the horn is 10dB down, then you'll be at 106dB assuming you can get the wavefronts in phase. In practice, this only buys a small increase in bandwidth at the expense of a much steeper roll off that is now not excursion controlled.

Roy's goal of porting into the throat was to take advantage of the extra gain from the horn. I believe you get a wider Q on the port bandwidth too.

cheers

tim

I'm curious how big of a difference the passive would make but only one way to find out.... SOMEONE HAS TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that I'm not sure how much more can be done to improve the jubilee.

I think the difficulty of this working on the Jubilee is that the distance between the rear wave of the active driver and the drone is too close...

Mike, I don't disagree with your comments, but remember there was a drone version of the Jubilee that HDRBuilder posted about. It was mentioned in another post that the prototype had a deeper low end as well as lower distortion.

I am not sure how they did it since it is "pretty cramped quarters" in there. I suspect, and we will probably never know, that the vertical ramps (which create the initial rapid flare / rubber throat) were substantially different than what we see in the conventional Jubilee.