Good vintage amp for heresy II - KP-201

Dingman

Hey guys,

I'm not really happy with the "fit" of the newly aquired KP-201's in the man cave, HT setup. Not that I'm super anal about apperance, but it is all dark, black, grey, blue shades down there and there isn't any wood. It's also a little cramped for the HII's.

So, I'm thinking of moving them upstairs to replace the large-ish KLF-20's in the 2Ch setup. But I'd want a different amp than the new Marantz I'm using to drive the 20's. [:-*]

Or, maybe I should ask this first. These 201's are 2003 models. Does the advice of running Heresy's with an older "smoother" SS for warmer sound still apply to these newer speakers?

Possibly, these speakers aren't enough like the H one's or the original H2's to benefit from the older amps. If these 201's would benefit from older amps, please point me towards a good model or even active auctions on ebay\CL.

And I don't know enough to even start discussing tube amps tho I should mention I did a couple of years in a community college in electronics and am currently a senior building automation tech, so I can understand just about anything you guys throw at me. [*]

Or, maybe I should ask this first. These 201's are 2003 models. Does the advice of running Heresy's with an older "smoother" SS for warmer sound still apply to these newer speakers?

Audio hasn't improved an inch since the late 50's, not audibly at least in my opinion, but there are plenty of examples of gotten worse and items whose flaws work well when paired with an item with compensating flaws. That said I would look for maybe an older Yamaha receiver.

Cool, thanks Mike. So I will be watching CL for vintage type equip for not much money (as I'm inherently cheap). I see there's a few on there now, but they aren't cheap at $185-300.
In fact, here's the links, don't these prices seem a little high? Maybe not, I'm still learning.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/2525214971.html
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/2534366478.html
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/2534379311.html

Ha, I just picked up cheap set of speakers (KLF Model 20) and a older, cheap amp (MCS 3225) so that I can practice rebuilding. I've already found caps bad in the speakers, so I've ordered replacements. Also started the process of cleaning\lubing the MCS unit, the POT's are all scratchy. I still need to read up on that procedure, I'm not clear on all the details (not sure if I can just clean or if I need to replace the rheostats).

Pay no attention to the asking prices and make some offers. $50 to $100 should get something pretty decent maybe 10 years or so old. Each time the "best" movie mode changes, Dolby to pro, to DTS, etc etc people will upgrade their receiver, eventually they sell them for what anybody is willing to pay. Don't be afraid to really grind on the guys who buy up all the old stereo gear in yard sales and flip it on craigslist, they pay nothing for most of it, and price all of it with a lot of wiggle room.

I've had 5 Klipsch speakers (see bottom of message) sitting on a table in my garage for the last 10 days with nothing convenient to test them with. Nothing local was closing soon on ebay, so I drove down to the local Salvation Army and found a decent looking old Hitachi for $10. Turned out to have a broken tuner dial and a switch issue, but worked long enough to touch a couple wires to each speaker and verify they make some sound, and now I have a $10 credit to use on there next half price day for electronics.

*** make sure you test all functions immediately, and beware any funny smells as it warms up.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Possibly, these speakers aren't enough like the H one's or the original H2's to benefit from the older amps. If these 201's would benefit from older amps, please point me towards a good model or even active auctions on ebay\CL.

Yes, same advice applies. I ran these with a nice Denon Home theatre amp for a little while, then moved them to an old Carver m1.0t - much better. Also used them with a Marantz stereo 2320b and they sounded great. The Marantz was $7 at Goodwill and sounds great. It has not been recapped. These KP-201 are made from nice plywood, same as the older H1's, however they have better components. I could not tell the difference between My "Super" Heresy 1s and these KP-201s in sound.

Here is a link for a schematic for an Antique Sound Lab tube amp which would be an excellt choice for your 201`s or your KLF20. If I am not mistaken your 201`s have K79 tweeters in them. Pop one open and see if it has phenolic or Titanium diaphragm. Either way pull them and try them in your KLF20 tweeters. You will find the KLF20 have stock poly diaphragms and they will really sing with phenolic or better yet Titanium diaphragms. You can buy Ti diaphragms from Bob Crites for $30.00 each. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/83051-antique-sound-lab-aq1003.html#post2723098

http://www.divertech.com/asl1003dt.html

Well, one area where decent stereo has advanced a lot since the 1950's is in background noise. I notice my Heresy's are very good at reproducing and projecting hiss from my vintage Sansui 5000, so you want to be sure that any component you get is in top shape and doesn't produce hiss or hum. Nothing against tube equipment per se, but hiss and hum are common problems and I think you'll be quickly turned off by your Heresy's if they sit there hissing at you all the time. I do notice that my more modern Adcom amp/preamp is dead quiet compared ot the Sansui, but I will admit that the Sansui is in original condition and could probably benefit from being recapped. In any case, make sure you can check out the vintage equipment before you buy.

Here is a link for a schematic for an Antique Sound Lab tube amp which would be an excellt choice for your 201`s or your KLF20.

Thanks, I'll check that amp out. - update: Wow, sweet specs (I think, LOL) on that amp. A little pricey in my world, but I'd sure like to hear one.

If I am not mistaken your 201`s have K79 tweeters in them. Pop one open and see if it has phenolic or Titanium diaphragm. Either way pull them and try them in your KLF20 tweeters. You will find the KLF20 have stock poly diaphragms and they will really sing with phenolic or better yet Titanium diaphragms. You can buy Ti diaphragms from Bob Crites for $30.00 each. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks much James, I have read here and there about some of those KLF-20 mods. I have never opened them up to check to see if they are the ones with the additional bracing\glue but I do mean to do that. I didn't know the price on the Ti 'phrams but at only $30 a pop, I'm all over that. I'll order a couple up and fix up those KLF-20's.

Ya, I remember seeing your 2320B. Didn't listen to it much but I figured if it was good enough for you, it was good enough for me. Plus, the fact that I *thought* I had a 2230 in the basement (which I didn't find, I think that I *gulp* threw it away) put me on the course of finding more Marantz for cheap.

I have checked a few pawn shops, and thrift stores around here, haven't found any gems yet there.

That`s great news I am sure that you will be very impressed with what theTi diaphragms do for your tweeters you can expect more with Ti mid diaphragms installed. The Antique sound labs have gone for $500 -600 used great deal Set 12 can advise you as to a tube roll for the 12Au that transforms the amp. You might even find the older versions for less if you look. Have fun with your KLF20. Best regards Moray James.