Question about Ifi DIN plug

riker1384

I have 2 Ifi systems, one of which complete but other other has no sub and the shield on the din plug is missing. I'm talking about the piece of metal that surrounds the pins on the din plug which is on the cable that goes from the control pod to the sub. I was wondering, does this "shield" connect to anything electrically, or does it just help secure the plug mechanically and protect the pins?

Could I get another DIN plug, rip the shield off, shove it into mine, and superglue it in place? Would that work? If possible, I'd like to avoid having to pay $34 to the guy on Ebay who does DIN plug repairs. I don't know how to solder. Are there any DIN plugs that can be connected to a cable without solder?

I suggest getting another DIN plug and replacing the original with it.

You can cut the old one open and check each wire's position and color if necessary.

(The new one will likely include a pin out diagram with this information).

Using these two sets of info; you can splice each wire from the old cord to the new cord, knowing which position is which.

No soldering necessary; but recommended for longevity.

Use electric tape for each wire section that is twisted together. You could get the heat shrink tubing also.

Good Luck.

I did this to my Promedias about 5 years ago; and it is still going strong.